Any opinions would be very appreciated.

AnotherNewt Sat 21-Jan-17 11:14:01

Prep or the new secondary?

originalmavis Sat 21-Jan-17 11:14:17

Which one - Junior or Senior?

freekle123 Sat 21-Jan-17 11:16:42

Prep at the moment! smile

originalmavis Sat 21-Jan-17 11:18:32

Nursery? Are you local - think about transport and logistics?

freekle123 Sat 21-Jan-17 11:26:03

We live a mile away so could walk really and yes.

originalmavis Sat 21-Jan-17 11:37:22

Have you visited the school and spoken to staff? Best to trot over at pick up and drop off time to get a feel for the place. If you go to local clubs then you will probably see kids from the local school and you can get a 'feel' for the school be seeing how the kids behave and interact (and treat their nannies). Some school cultures you may find are rather horrid!

sw15mum Sat 21-Jan-17 11:51:07

Know a few parents there- happy with academics etc but there are some EXTREMELY wealthy families and some really ostentatious behaviour apparently- from parents and boys. Happens all over London I guess but a couple of the mothers feel quite out pf place despite being more than comfortably well off themselves. Kid are happy though.

freekle123 Sat 21-Jan-17 11:52:48

We are very comfortable with money, but really hate that attitude you describe. I suppose I'll see it at most London private schools though, unfortunately.

originalmavis Sat 21-Jan-17 12:27:54

Not necessarily! We managed to circumnavigate this.

Have experience with the sausage factories though and you need to consider the culture of the school carefully. Hot housing and sharp elbowed parents is not a nice environment for children.

And also member that 'comfortable' is just one redundancy or illness away from 'just managing'.

freekle123 Sat 21-Jan-17 12:46:54

Sorry, I said very comfortable. Finance won't be an issue. I really don't want that to sound snobby?

Thanks for the comments

jeanne16 Sat 21-Jan-17 16:07:36

With Prince George expected to start there in September, I think you can expect some very ambitious parents wanting places for their offspring. In fact, I would be very surprised if any places were available. It will almost certainly be one of those schools where prospective parents enrol at birth.

poppadoppadom Sat 21-Jan-17 16:56:13

Op - how old is your child, and have you been offered a place? If you did not register at birth the chance of a place is very slim.

originalmavis Sat 21-Jan-17 17:20:05

I knew one mum who was having a fit because when her husband went to register at their chosen school (I'm not joking - at the maternity hospital) he was smoothly told that his son should have been born earlier on in the month to get a place.

Not sure which school this was but this was Notting Hill too.

I remember when looking at nursery school for ds one school told us that the books has closed aged ago. I forget the actual dates she gave but it really was 'at birth'. She wasn't amused when I asked if the students had been born at the registration closure date.

highclere Sat 21-Jan-17 22:52:07

Definitely Wetherby grin!

Stilitzvert Sun 22-Jan-17 10:39:37

I know of some major A Lister's who have just moved their kids from there due to feeling out of place because despite being incredibly wealthy they didn't fit in socially.

originalmavis Sun 22-Jan-17 11:23:46

It's not wealth it's attitude if you know what I mean. I've met some hideous hyacinth bucket types - pretty well off due to hubby having a lovely relocation package - but treat everyone else like poo on their shoe, until they learn about your family background and crawl up your backside (always a delight to see the backpedaling when they deem you 'suitable' material).

You really have to visit schools and chat at the gates to get a feel for the place.

Because if the royal connection there will be a lot of wannabes breaking down the doors.

Another thing to consider is movement of kids and teachers. It's such a shame when your child finds that their best friends leave every year - and in some cases, disappear mid term when financial disaster hits (we have seen this a few times - redundancy, recalls, illness, husband blowing all the cash on dodgy other women).

Go and look at a few schools to compare. Even state ones - st Mary Abbot's aiff high St ken comes to mind, St Georges near Berkeley sq, Hansen gurney (sp?) off edgware rd are not and have good results.

Don't be swayed by results - parents tutor like mad.

AnotherNewt Sun 22-Jan-17 11:30:15

Yes, Wetherby is one of the very few pre-preps remaining where registration at birth is expected, and your chances of a place without it are remote.

Normally all boys at the pre-prep transfer to the prep, but they have joiners at 8+ for which you register any time before the deadline, which is presumably what OP has done. Is your DS sitting the exam about now?

highclere Sun 22-Jan-17 15:34:43

Wetherby is a pre prep for 7/8+ for the super competitive (WUS, SPJS, KCJS etc) London schools and will support boys preparing for those (and other) prep schools as well as transfer to its well regarded prep. Have a look for Notting Hill yummy mummy's very amusing blog if you want a bit more detail from an insider!

Mumofthreelondon Mon 23-Jan-17 21:20:20

What about Wetherby senior school any views????

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now