Talk

Advanced search

D'Overbroeck's, Oxford

(24 Posts)
Consils Sun 21-Oct-12 17:24:14

Does anyone have any experience of this place?

Lonecatwithkitten Sun 21-Oct-12 18:53:15

Several people I know used it for retakes they all achieved the grades, got into the courses at the Unis they wanted. Hard work though.

Yellowtip Sun 21-Oct-12 19:00:14

A friend's son who'd been at Eton went there having messed up at Eton. He got the boost in grades that he needed for Medicine (Imperial). That was a few years ago though.

Consils Sun 21-Oct-12 19:08:21

Thanks! Does anyone know how many pupils there are. Would you send your children there if you could?

Yellowtip Sun 21-Oct-12 22:18:31

No I wouldn't, not in a million years. But that's because I'd shy away from any crammer, nothing to do with D'Overwhatsit's per se.

matilda101 Sun 21-Oct-12 22:29:49

Hi, I went to D'Overbroeks, although it was 10 years ago! I did one year if a levels at the school I'd been at for years and due to teachers changes etc I wasn't getting the level of education I needed to get grades to get into vet school. I did three a levels in a year and got very good grades. The teaching standard was very high with small class sizes (between 6-8 pupils). I'd definitely recommend it!

Consils Sun 21-Oct-12 22:30:11

Is it a crammer? It markets itself as a fun international school. I had no idea of crammer status. Does that mean it works them too hard. I am having second thoughts now. DS is currently at reasonable comp. I don't want him crammed. Is it for Eton rejects? I don't want him pressured. Thanks for answering; really appreciate it.

Consils Sun 21-Oct-12 22:34:42

Vet school. Crikey.

claraschu Sun 21-Oct-12 22:35:27

Not a crammer at all Yellowtip-

My son is doing A2 there, and we think it's very good. Classes are small, teachers excellent, kids given independence, atmosphere lively and informal.

Consils Sun 21-Oct-12 22:36:34

Is/was it stressful?

claraschu Sun 21-Oct-12 22:39:17

Consils, I think you are being given the wrong idea here. This is a very friendly, refreshingly flexible school. I don't think the person who called it a crammer actually went there.
I will PM you.

Yellowtip Sun 21-Oct-12 22:43:23

No I most certainly didn't go there but I certainly thought it was just a crammer. Why would those who failed to get reasonable A Levels go there otherwise? Has it become a conventional Sixth Form then? No offence intended but it's been around for years and I thought it was an expensive last ditch option for those who hadn't done well enough at their own ordinary school.

Consils Sun 21-Oct-12 22:44:00

It is the lively and informal that makes it attractive, and the international feel. The crammer/stress puts me right off. Do they need As in GCSEs in order to go on to A level? I don't want him stressed. I am very grateful for all your replies; have done the reading of website but want to hear real life experiences.

joanofarchitrave Sun 21-Oct-12 22:46:05

My guess would be that it used to be a crammer, but has morphed away from that a bit as someone spotted the dearth of co-educational private schools in Oxford, hence the setting up of Leckford Place as a secondary leading up to it. Only a guess though, I know someone who's child has just started at LP but don't know anyone who's been to D'O.

Yellowtip Sun 21-Oct-12 22:46:17

Interested now claraschu, did your DS go straight from GCSE at an ordinary school to do a two year sixth form course at D'Overbroek's? Is it modestly priced or expensive?

mummytime Sun 21-Oct-12 22:56:04

You can find the price via the Internet. I would send my son there if we could afford it. It and St Clare's used to be crammers, places for those who'd failed to get the necessary grades to obtain them, however they are now real sixth form colleges.

claraschu Sun 21-Oct-12 23:01:21

No stress, no cramming, normal 6th form, but unconventional enough to get a few students moving there who didn't thrive in the very traditional schools nearby (Magdalen, Abingdon, etc). I don't know any students there who have already failed A levels elsewhere. It is not very academically selective, but I don't remember the requirements.

Yellowtip Sun 21-Oct-12 23:01:48

I was being lazy mummytime and if it's on the webite then it's hardly secret.

Just looked: it's ridiculously expensive! And that's without the extras!

What's wrong with Magdalen College School or even Teddy's if you can't get into MCS?

Yellowtip Sun 21-Oct-12 23:02:28

Cross posted with clara.

Consils Sun 21-Oct-12 23:06:46

There is no way I could manage it but David Mitchell went to Abingdon.

Myrtille Mon 22-Oct-12 01:23:58

Google "d'Overbroecks isi report 2007" to get a summary of its history. It started as a sixth form in 1977 and set up Leckford Place as a feeder in 2005.

It used to run revision courses which maybe what some are recalling.

One of my daughter's friends left Oxford High after GCSE to study there and did very well.

It's a bit pricy but not ridiculous - £2k a term cheaper than Teddies btw.

It is a completely different offering from the other schools in Oxford and you need to check it's right for your child.

DeWe Mon 22-Oct-12 09:28:51

I lived down the same road for a time.

The children were very polite, never disturbed us at all, but could be chatty on the bus with us (students). Didn't get the impression it was a crammer, if anything they all seemed very laid back.

This was nearly 20 years ago though.

matilda101 Tue 23-Oct-12 21:27:39

Although I was in 'crammer' classes they weren't at all stressful, the teaching was such a high standard that it made things seem quite easy! The lessons were fun and very informal. Younger pupils seemed very happy as well but I didn't see much of them as most of my lessons were at the science labs. We still had people at different levels of ability so no one was pressurised into feeling like they had to get a grades if they couldn't. The relaxed atmosphere actually made me want to learn!!

teacherwith2kids Tue 23-Oct-12 21:48:47

Used to be a crammer, but is now a 'proper' school.

Friend's very arty and unconventional son goes there and loves it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now