Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Examples of reasons for unreasonable behaviour

(7 Posts)
ModerateBecomingGoodLater Mon 16-Oct-17 18:00:54

Hi

I am going to file for divorce. He's emotionally manipulative and does not want me to go.

I anticipate a fight, I doubt he'll go to mediation first.

Because of the years of emotional fallout I'm struggling to think of "reasons".

Can anyone give me examples of unreasonable behaviour which have stood up in court?

Thank you.

ModerateBecomingGoodLater Mon 16-Oct-17 18:54:33

Anyone? Or links to websites.

DelphiniumBlue Mon 16-Oct-17 18:59:45

Withholding of love and affection
Controlling ( give examples)
Not participating in family life - eg putting self and hobbies first to detriment of DC
Uncaring /cold
Unsupportive

ModerateBecomingGoodLater Mon 16-Oct-17 19:02:05

Thank you delphinium.

He's going to object to anything.

DelphiniumBlue Mon 16-Oct-17 20:26:34

The thing is, he doesn't have to agree to it. But when I was practicing, usual thing was to make it as least bad as possible, whilst keeping it bad enough that it does pass the unreasonableness test.
You need to see a solicitor really, especially if there are children or assets ( house/pension etc), even if you do the divorce yourself.
Timing can be crucial as far as financial orders are concerned - you need to get that sorted before you apply for a decree absolute.
If you do it yourself, you can go ahead even he refuses to sign the papers, provided you can show that he did receive the petition - you'd need to do an affidavit, and arrange for personal service ( you can do this through the court if required, and they are usually very helpful to people acting for themselves.)

CantStandMeow Mon 16-Oct-17 20:34:21

www.justdivorce.co.uk/unreasonable-behaviour

I used this list (or one very similar) when I did my own divorce a few years ago. I chose several examples, tweaked slightly for our specific circumstances.

Had no issues with the passing of the divorce.

ModerateBecomingGoodLater Mon 16-Oct-17 22:30:22

Thank you both. Delphinium, he will almost certainly say that whatever I'm suggesting is in my head, or he's changed / is working on it.

Cantstand that is an incredible website. Exactly the kind of thing I need.

I'm seeing a solicitor next week, and want to have my thoughts in order first.

We've got a lot of things to sort out like child care, housed etc but I want the reasons to be clear in my mind in a format that a lawyer can work with.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now