Talk

Advanced search

SAHM about to divorce. How the hell will I cope financially?

(6 Posts)
Ilovepeppa Fri 12-May-17 21:27:00

About to start divorce proceedings. Been married to DH for 13yrs and have 2 DS aged 8 and 6.

I'm seriously worried about finances as I don't work and have very little savings that will probably go on solicitors fees. I know I will be entitled to child and spouse maintenance but what else will I get?

We have a joint mortgage so I know I will get some equity from that. But with no job how will I cope for money?

I'm so worried but I'm sure I'm not the first SAHM to divorce.

Any advice please.

OddBoots Fri 12-May-17 21:35:42

Most SAHMs stop being SAHMs after they divorce, particularly when the children are school age. What career did you have pre-children? Can you go back to that?

You will be able to claim child support from your ex (assuming the children are going to be living mainly with you) and there will be benefits but it depends where you live as to which you would get and the move to Universal Credit means there will be an expectation that you will be looking for work.

OddBoots Fri 12-May-17 21:38:36

Sorry, that sounded more blunt than I intended, I am sorry that you are gong through this, it is a tough thing to go through.

guineapig1 Fri 12-May-17 21:39:36

You will get child maintenance but spousal maintenance is by no way guaranteed. What is your husband's income level? Can you explore a return to work even on a part time basis?

Ilovepeppa Fri 12-May-17 21:53:33

OddBoots, I have applied for so many jobs but hear nothing back. So little jobs and many people applying for them. Unfortunately it's not really an option for me to return to my previous career due to the crazy shifts and lack of childcare.

My DH earns 63k a year so have been told by my lawyer that I will get spouse maintenance but I will be expected to get a job.

I have signed up for a college course in the hope that will help me get a job.

jeaux90 Fri 12-May-17 22:20:23

A friend of mine got two years spousal with similar circumstances but her husband was earning more.

The two years was to enable her to get back to work etc

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now