Talk

Advanced search

Did Chinese Herbal Medicine Mess Up Your Cycles?

(6 Posts)
Bridie321 Wed 26-Sep-12 13:58:50

Hi all

After 3 MCs (tests from 2 different hospitals could find no problem) I decided to give accupuncture and chinese medicine a go.

However, since starting, my cycles have gone from regular 28 days to odd ones with spotting for around 3 days before and only a couple of days of proper bleeding or bleeding that stops after a few days only to have a sudden bit of spotting 4 days later...

Anyone else with similar experiences or knowledge of what this might be?
Is it likely to be the chinese herbs?
I've stopped taking them but am unsure if this is the right thing to do. Could it be that my body is going out of whack while it sorts itself out or is it a load of rubbish anyway?
I'm still going with the accupuncture.

B

ChineseMedicinePractitioner Wed 26-Sep-12 21:04:17

As a practitioner, I would say:
1- if you have some undesirable side effects, stop the herbs
2- Talk to your practitioner who should be able to establish what has happened.

As a general rule, the aim is to regulate the cycle not to mess it up so it looks like a very surprising reaction.

Are you seeing the same practitioner for acupuncture and herbs?
Is that person registered with an organisation such as the British Acupuncture Council or the Register of Chinese Medicine Herbalist?

QTPie Wed 26-Sep-12 21:21:14

My SIL had problems because of Chinese herbs: she has a regular cycle (although has given up TTC after many years + a few cycles of IUI and IVF), but took some Chinese fertility herbs (force fed by her mum) and it put her cycle completely out of whack.

So be careful what you take.

QT

ChineseMedicinePractitioner Wed 26-Sep-12 21:27:29

Yep I completely agree with QT, Herbal Chinese Medicine can be great when in the hands of a skilled practitioner.
When in the hands of an unskilled/unqualified person, it can create lots of problems.

This is not a problem as much with acupuncture which is much gentle and regulating.

Bridie321 Thu 27-Sep-12 22:44:24

Thanks for your responses. Yes - it's the same practitioner for herbs and accupuncture and she is registered for both. She didn't suggest that I should stop taking them and said that it's a very traditional formula and unlikely to be that. I told her that I've stopped taking them and she didn't make any comment - other than to say 'ok'.

B

QTPie Thu 27-Sep-12 22:58:34

Like any "medicine", Chinese herbs can very likely effect different people in different ways.

Sounds like they didn't agree with you and you were sensible to stop.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now