Talk

Advanced search

AMH 0.2 - devastated and need hope please

(27 Posts)
monkeybumsmum Fri 24-Jun-11 19:16:08

I found out this afternoon that I have an incredibly low level of AMH. I can't speak to the doctor until Tuesday, when she'll advise me whether we can actually go ahead with the planned IVF or not.

I've been in bed crying all afternoon, and just desperately want some hope please. I can't bear the thought of not being able to have another child. We have been trying for almost three and a half years now to give ds a brother or sister. We've lost three babies in this time, and I just feel like I'm stuck in the middle of a neverending nightmare.

Does anyone know of anybody who's been able to have a baby with such a low level?
Thanks

ESTATE Fri 24-Jun-11 19:56:38

Hi there, I am really sorry to hear what you are going thru. I have tried for my first baby for 5 years, with few IVF and miscarriages in between and I have been increasingly very depressed.

Finally 2 months ago my little miracle was born. I would love to have a second baby and i will try in few months but I feel very blessed that at least I have one. I could have been childless and desperate for the rest of my life.

Do not lose hope, even with a low level you just need an egg to conceive. If you are really desperate and things do not work out you could always adopt or pursue the egg donation rooth.I know it's not the same but it could be a beautiful experience if your heart is set in there.

however, as much as you are desperate to have a second child, do not ever forget how blessed you are in any case to have A child.
I wish you all the best

bluesatinsash Fri 24-Jun-11 19:57:31

Oh monkey I'm so sorry to hear your news sad. Really hope there are some posters who can come and give you good news stories..

Have you thought of postiing on an assisted conception thread too?

Really hope the Doctor can give you some facts and success rates.

Thinking of you as always xx

SabsFabulous Fri 24-Jun-11 21:25:58

monkey dont have any answers for you but just wanted to send you the biggest hug

Thinking of you xxx

loueytb3 Fri 24-Jun-11 22:34:45

Oh crappity crap monkey. I will check what my sister got because I know her AMH level was very very low - think it was 1.something. NHS dr said her only hope was IVF and she needed to do it soon. The clinic where she had the IVF was less interested in the AMH level and more in her FSH levels. They didn't have a cut off for AMH but FSH had to be below 10 for them to do a cycle. You only need to get a couple of eggs out and fertilised - she managed 2 in the first cycle and 5 next cycle which ended up in her bfp. I hope that gives you a little hope. Will try and speak to her over the weekend and try and find out exactly what her levels were. Hugs from me, I know it must feel like the bottom of the worlds dropped out at the moment x

4everhopeful Fri 24-Jun-11 23:23:21

Monkey my poor lovely, you have been dealt such a heartbreaking hand in these last few yrs, with one thing after the other, but please please dont give up hope, it really will happen one way or the other and I hope Loueys post gave you some inspiration. It does only take the 1 egg. You may want to look into the treatment I need as well, Lymphocyte immunotherapy treatment (LIT) as it is mainly used in conjunction with IVF to make it more succesful, as well as to prevent recurrent mc. Its also well worth having a look at fertility friends website as there are so many women on there with great advice and really indepth knowledge, it was there iv found alot of extra info and the other clinic we tried for LIT. Its the fertility academy, you can get a phone consultation for £150. As well as them there is ARGC who loueys sis used, both in London, but i know you pop over here often. I know this is at the moment a terrible blow, but each mc i had and obstacles i had to overcome, just made me all the more determined and bloody minded that this damn thing wouldnt beat me and I would become a mum whatever it took. I hope that although you are understandably floored at the moment that you find yet more of those amazing strength reserves you have to keep fighting on. In the meantime cherish that gorgeous boy of yours, and be gentle on yourself. Ill say a little prayer for you tonight. Keep on keeping on sweetheart x

Neeko Sat 25-Jun-11 06:16:09

Bumping for you Monkey and sending you the hugest of hugs. It's so unfair that you've been through all this.

VJay Sat 25-Jun-11 09:12:15

monkey I've no advice sorry but louey and 4ever had some interesting advice there. Big hug to you my lovely xx

BuddhaBelly Sat 25-Jun-11 20:40:41

No advice but had to post as soon as I read this sad news sad so sorry Monkey I can't believe you've been dealt yet another cruel blow, sending you a huge squeezing non-MN hug x

CurlyLikesShortShorts Sat 25-Jun-11 23:41:45

monkey no advice from me just a bump and a massive hug xxxx

FlipFantasia Sun 26-Jun-11 00:19:18

Monkey so sorry to hear this sad. It must be a huge shock. Especially when you've been through so much...

I don't know a huge amount about AMH but when I was going through IVF/ICSI at the Lister I was told it was only about 70% reliable, so still considered experimental and not widely used. In fact, I only had it because my estradiol levels were so high they were worried it was making my FSH levels articifically low. But since I had treatment 2 years ago they recommend AMH as standard.

If treatment in London is an option I'd highly recommend the Lister - they will accept women with high FSH/low AMH (unlike clinics like the ARGC) and do their best to get them pregnant.

BarbiesBeaver Mon 27-Jun-11 10:38:58

monkeys my level was very low (AMH 2.0) and I suffered a couple of m/c too. I am currently 14 weeks pregnant after IUI with injectibles after taking a course of DHEA supplements. This supplement has had some interesting results in limited trials in America and is starting to be used on this country (lots of info on the Fertility Friends website).

It is a non prescribed diet supplement so you can buy it from the internet. It was suggested by my consultant I try it three months before any treatment and my results were much improved from my first IUI before DHEA, which was abandoned due to poor ovarian response. I have some left over and would be happy to post it to you if you want to try it. Just PM me. Best of luck.

lucylookout Mon 27-Jun-11 14:20:19

Monkeys I'm sorry to hear your news. I'm in a similar situation and it is a horrible shock. I found out in January that I have low AMH, I too have one DS aged 3.9 and have been trying for 2 years to have another child (and lost two within those two years). I've had one failed IUI cycle and I'm waiting to find out whether IVF would be suitable for me. I'm afraid I don't have any advice for you other that that I am very interested in BarbiesBeaver's post. I've heard very positive things about DHEA too; that it can improve egg quality, AMH and even FSH. Barbies if you're still around, can you tell me what type/brand of DHEA you used? Biovea has been recommended a few times but I'm confused between the 7-keto and not 7 keto. Do you know which is best? I hope it doesn't sound like I'm hijacking the thread, I'm really hoping this information is useful for you too monkeys and giving you some reassurances that all is not lost.

monkeybumsmum Sat 02-Jul-11 13:57:55

Thanks so much everyone who's posted on this thread, and I'm blush I haven't been back earlier to reply. I've actually been poorly the last few days, but before then I think my head just couldn't cope with any more, and although it was heartening to read the support and happy endings (congrats ESTATE and BarbiesBeaver smile) I couldn't find the energy to respond, so I do apologise.

ESTATE I'm so glad you managed to have your much longed for baby, those 5 years must have been very difficult. You are right about me already having a child, I feel grateful and blessed every single day, but I do feel like I'm failing him by not being able to give him a sibling. He is mine and dh's pride and joy, but I would so love to be able to fill this hole we have in our family.

To all my lovely Emmsys, you are simply wonderful, and thank you for posting smile Louey, thanks again for the info about your sister. I've been thinking loads about what you said, and have thought of some more questions if that would be okay, but will PM you x

Flip, can I ask if your IVF was successful? I really hope it was. It's great to hear the stats that you were told, thanks smile

BarbiesBeaver, I have just PM'd you, thanks so much for the kind offer! I was very happy to read you are now pg, it's great to hear hopeful stories!!

Lucylookout, I'm so sorry that you're in a similar predicament, it's awful isn't it sad Do you mind me asking what your AMH level was when you had it tested? It is such a huge shock to be told it's bad news. I actually felt like I'd lost another baby the day I was told, it was so upsetting. I suppose it's the loss of future babies I was mourning, although having had time to think about it, I do want to fight against it and do everything I can to prove that darned test wrong! Have you had any news about your IVF yet? I think it does depend with some clinics on what other test results were like too. I didn't have the heart to ask for any more results after that one! Please let me know how you're getting on. Although it's sh*t that we're both in this situation, maybe we can help each other through it smile

As for me, I found out last weekend that we can go ahead and try a cycle of IVF. I suppose it's only by doing that that we will find out how I'll react to the drugs... I'm doing everything I can to improve our chances so I hope it'll work.

Thanks again for the replies, and if anyone has any more information/advice/hope then I would love to hear from you, thanks smile

CareBear1 Sat 02-Jul-11 18:15:02

monkeysbumsmum just remember it only takes 1! I've heard AMH is only related to number not quality and its amazing what they can do with medication and careful monitoring.

Estate, can I ask you what you think made a difference? I'm just coming up to the 4 yr ttc point, plus just had 1st IVF round that failed to implant. Any advice much appreciated!

x

monkeybumsmum Sat 02-Jul-11 18:26:07

Thanks Care, you have made me feel a little more positive. I'm so sorry to hear about your IVF having failed, that must be heartbreaking after having invested so much time, emotion and probably money into it. Do you think you might try again? I wish you all the luck in world if you do smile
ps Have you had your AMH tested? I am convinced that the problems with my last three pregnancies were because of problems with my eggs. I wish I'd had my AMH tested ages ago, then maybe we could've jumped forward to trying IVF before the level was so low. Hindsight is an amazing thing isn't it.

CareBear1 Sat 02-Jul-11 19:22:47

ah thanks MBM, um not sure to be honest - had what seems like a zillion tests for this and that, i get confused! None of them have shown any issues so far so bit confused as to what's going on. Just requested full copy of all my medical reports though so will check this one out, thanks. Got an FET round due to start in August. I really did find this last IVF round good in that they tell you exactly what's going on every other day - much better than endless days of wondering. Hope you find it ok too. x

lucylookout Sat 02-Jul-11 19:56:18

Hi Monkeybumsmum I'm glad you're feeling more positive. The first time my AMH was measured it was 2.8, the second time 4.2. Apparently it's normal for it to fluctuate a little, but both those are within the 'low' bracket. It does make a difference how old you are too, I mean, I'm 39 (I still have a few weeks until I'm 40!) so that does have an impact on egg quality. If you're younger, even though your AMH is low, the eggs you do have are still probably better quality, it's just a case of hitting jackpot with the right one! Like you, I rallied after the news and thought I'll get my second baby by hook or by crook, and did quite a bit of research into how to improve egg quality (and that's still how I'm feeling) and the supplements that do seem to make a difference are Royal Jelly (to improve quality) and wheatgrass (yeuch, but is effective in reducing FSH, so might be good in preparation for IVF). As well as DHEA but I can see you're on the case with that from Beavers. I have an appointment at ARGC at the end of July, although I'd say my FSH is borderline (they want it to be under 10) so if I can't be treated there I'll try the Lister, which has good success for oldies like me and also doesn't have an upper limit on FSH.
It would be great to hear how you get on over the next few weeks. I'll pop back on here but I'm also on the 'Assisted Conception' thread. It might be helpful for you to have a look in there, if you do have IVF.
All the best, and remember, it just takes one!

FlipFantasia Sat 02-Jul-11 22:16:06

Monkeys my IVF was successful and am eternally grateful for DS (now 15 months). Was lucky enough to get pregnant naturally earlier this year (total miracle) but was then unlucky enough to MC. So we'll have more IVF at some point in the not too distant future as I totally understand the desire to have more children.

I also understand that you've been mourning...it's really the best way to describe what it's like to come to terms with something like this. For me, I mourned the fact that we won't have our family the easy natural way.

I've found MN invaluable for support but Fertility Friends is a mine of info - they have a whole section for low AMH women - I found this thread which has good info and links. I don't have low AMH myself, but have read about it and one of the reasons I liked the Lister (when we were looking at clinics) was that they treated women of all hormone levels/ages. Though natural IVF may also be something to consider...

I shall keep my fingers crossed that you have a successful pregnancy soon.

loueytb3 Tue 05-Jul-11 16:24:42

lucy just popping back to say that my sister had her treatment at ARGC and her FSH did fluctuate from month to month. To begin with it was over 10 and then dropped below 10 before her first cycle and dropped even further by her second cycle. She put the change in FSH levels down to acupuncture which she started just before her first cycle. It may be worth looking into if you can. As I told monkey, my sister's AMH levels were around 1.4, so very low and she got pg on the second cycle of IVF. She has nothing but praise for ARGC.

monkey of course you can pm me any more questions smile. Hope you are feeling better xx

lucylookout Tue 05-Jul-11 19:11:42

Thanks so much for popping back Louey. I'm also a fan of acupuncture, and have been going quite regularly for about a year, so hopefully that will help with the FSH. On the other hand I read some stuff about wheatgrass that says it brings down FSH but can increase cykotines (whatever they are) and that's bad for conception/pregnancy so I'm laying off that for a bit. I figure I should just go in to ARGC au naturel and that way they can make a more accurate assessment of me. What great news about your sister. If you don't mind me asking, how old is she?

loueytb3 Tue 05-Jul-11 23:22:38

She's just turned 34.

littlebellsmum Fri 08-Jul-11 21:40:51

monkey - I'd missed this. Good to hear you sounding so much more positive. Good things do happen to good people, you know - stay positive,lovely

Deepu1803 Sun 08-Jun-14 07:05:54

I M 28 & FROM INDIA.. TRYING TO CONCEVE FROM 5 YRS.. BUT DUE TO FSH & LH..COULD NT HAPPEN... FINALLY MY NEW GYNO (CHENNAI) ASKED TO GO FOR AMH TESH COS I M STICKING FOR NATURAL CONCEPTION...
YESTERDAY I GOT MY AMH RESULT WHICH IS <0.02.. & AS I CHECKED IN PORTAILS ITS VERY VERY LOW WHICH CANT EVEN GIVE GUD RESULTS FR IVF.. CAN ANYBODY SHARE THRU UR EXPERIENCE WHETHER I CAN GET CARRY NATURAL CONCEPTION...

Shroomboom Mon 09-Jun-14 12:44:22

Hi Deepu, I'm actually the OP, but I namechanged a while ago. I should have updated this thread, but completely forgot about it.
So sorry to hear about your AMH levels, but as you probably read on this thread I had a similar level to you. We ended up going through five rounds of IVF, the last one being successful. My beautiful 4 month old dd is fast asleep upstairs smile
I know your level is lower than mine was, and I couldn't find any examples of anyone getting pregnant either naturally or via IVF with levels as low as mine, but as we have proved, it can be done. I'm not sure whether we would have conceived naturally or not - our IVF was actually ICSI, and I had to take steroids to ensure my body didn't reject the embryo.
Low AMH levels suggest that you won't have many eggs left, but the doctors we saw were rather surprised as I managed to produce a number of eggs... They ended up telling us that AMH was only a number, it didn't determine anything for us, and that we should ignore it.
If you're determined to keep trying naturally then that's what you should do smile. It might be worth having a scan to determine your AFC (Antral Follicle Count) at the beginning of your cycle. That should give you more of an idea of what you're facing.
Good luck!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now