Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Speech delay and Laryngomalacia

(8 Posts)
Skisunsnow Fri 07-Apr-17 16:47:22

Hi, hoping someone can offer some experience here.
My DD, who is now 2 1/2, was diagnosed with a floppy voice box (laryngomalacia) when she was a few months old. She had been suffering with silent reflux and once we finally managed to see the paediatrician at about 6 months, he said that she had a mild form of laryngomalacia. This explained her very noisy rattly breathing and advised that it would all but disappear by the time she was 2 years old. To a certain extent it has, and we only hear the rattly chesty noises when she has a cold (not confused with a chest infection!) However, she has come to the attention of the health visitor now as her speech is really delayed. She never babbled as a baby and we very rarely get mummy or daddy. She will say yes and no clearly but absolutely nothing else! She tries very hard to say things but it always comes out more of a grunt and everything sounds the same. She clearly thinks that's she is saying something and gets really frustrated when we have absolutely no idea what she is saying.
She has been referred for speech and language therapy, but there is a 12 month waiting list. We've had an assessment with a speech and language therapist, but it's only crossed my mind today that it could be related to the laryngomalacia hmm I have phoned the lady today that we saw and she's going to look into it.
Does anyone have any experience of this?

RupertsMum2 Sun 09-Apr-17 21:20:36

Well, ds2 (now 19) had laryngomacia and a speech delay but I had never considered that there may be a link. Ds3 (10) also had it but more mildly and didn't have delayed speech so I don't really know.

ThatsWotSheSaid Sun 09-Apr-17 21:27:48

My DS has laryngomalacia and has no language delays. Could you pay for a SLT assessment? 1 year is ridiculous.

ThatsWotSheSaid Sun 09-Apr-17 21:30:09

Sorry I've re-read and seen you've been assessed but the wait is for sessions. What does the SLT say is the diagnosis?

2014newme Sun 09-Apr-17 21:30:31

My dd didn't have a speech delay but she did have a vocal chords issue which caused her to be quite hoarse. Consultant referred for speech therapy and she started straight away. Our medical insurance paid for it. 6 months later was sorted. Do you have medical insurance?

nocoolnamesleft Sun 09-Apr-17 23:34:12

Get your GP to also refer you to ENT, to check out her larynx?

Skisunsnow Mon 10-Apr-17 09:23:32

Thanks for your replies. I am still waiting for the report from the SLT initial assessment. I've got a GP appt in 4 weeks as they don't deem it urgent for a booked on the day appointment 🙄. Will phone again tomorrow morning and see if I speak to a different receptionist!

SaneAsABoxOfFrogs Mon 10-Apr-17 09:28:16

My son was speech delayed for a different reason - cleft lip and palate, and never babbled either. Have you thought about makaton (sign language) in the mean time? It definitely stopped my boy from becoming too frustrated, and at one point he had about 120 signs he could use. Now he is talking he uses them less, but will revert to them if someone else isn't understanding what he is trying to say.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now