Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

penicillin every 6 hours

(12 Posts)
Angela56 Thu 29-Dec-16 18:47:19

I think I must be over reacting to everything at the mome because finding giving my lad 500mg of penicillin every 6 hours on empty stomach worrying and difficult . it seems a high dose he's 16 for tonsillitis and for 10 days . hope someone can ease my worry a that I am doing this right ! I give it a 8am 1pm 7pm and midnight (he's always awake )

Friendinneed2016 Thu 29-Dec-16 18:50:31

I think that's ok. For comparison my little boy was 2 and had 250mg of co amoxiclav every 6 hours which is penicillin based but stronger. It did give him upsets tummy but others than that it was fine.

Angela56 Thu 29-Dec-16 19:06:20

thanks friendinneed2016 it's been a difficult time and I just needed reassurance , it helps to know I am doing the right thing stops me overthinking haha. he seems find on it , in fact his recovery is faster than I thought , probably due to high dose . thanks again xx

YoHoHoandabottleofTequila Fri 30-Dec-16 09:13:41

Don't worry, some penicillins can be given 6 hourly and at that age, up to 1g.

Angela56 Fri 30-Dec-16 13:03:42

yohohoandabottleoftequila wow I didn't know that ! you mean 1g given 6hourly ? where did you get that info from please ?

pinkieandperkie Fri 30-Dec-16 13:11:59

My 19 year old was recently prescribed penicillin 500mg four times a day for ten days for tonsillitis I felt the same as you. He didn't start improving until day six. I was surprised it was a ten day course.

Angela56 Fri 30-Dec-16 15:01:29

thanks for reply , my lad couldn't swallow so she gave him the liquid stuff , it's like he's a boy again !! and I don't think I have given him the full 5ml spoons properly haha I feel like such a clown right now !

BagelDog Fri 30-Dec-16 15:05:40

Yep for adults (and at 16 he is pretty much that) he can have up to a gram four times a day. The dose is fine. The logistics of the empty stomach are usually the tricky bit! Can check the bnf on line (British national formulary) but it is a common drug so rarely prescribed wrongly.

BagelDog Fri 30-Dec-16 15:06:31

Oh and tonsillitis is usually ten days and sometimes extended to two weeks if at the one week mark they are still notably unwell.

Angela56 Fri 30-Dec-16 17:48:59

thanks bageldog xx

YoHoHoandabottleofTequila Fri 30-Dec-16 22:14:02

Where? The bnf, I'm a nurse.

Angela56 Sun 01-Jan-17 19:49:21

I am giving 2 x5 ml spoons of the suspension every 5-6 hours timing it well and writing down the time and how much ( some would say a bit ott ) which means he has 40 ml a day so 2.5 days and the bottle would be finished , that's sounds right doesn't it ? well no matter how hard I try the b100 ml bottle is lasting 3 days !! either the chemist mixed it with too much water and there was more than 100 ml to start with , or I am not filling the 5 ml spoon fully . it's exasperating . Is there a problem or should I just keep going until all bottles finished and not fret about it ! please it's driving me nuts

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now