Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

18 month old has just swallowed a plum stone

(8 Posts)
PumpkinBeans Sun 10-Jul-11 20:58:32

My 18 month old ds swallowed a plum stone around an hour ago, the nurse I spoke to at NHS Direct assured me that if he was eating & drinking ok and if his voice sounded normal and he wasnt drooling or gagging that it had gone past the possible choking phase, so thats a relief.

What im worried about now is if it causes an obstruction in his intestines; i've been told to take action if he starts to vomit or has tummy pains otherwise wait & check is poo.

Has this happened to anyone elses child? I found an old thread about it but several messages were deleted!

sneezecakesmum Sun 10-Jul-11 21:07:22

Basically check his poo every day until it is passed. If if doesnt show up after 5 or so days, or he has any abdominal pain, vomiting etc go to your GP. He may refer for an XRay. Don't worry too much, round objects seldom get 'stuck'

PumpkinBeans Sun 10-Jul-11 21:11:46

Thankyou, that is reassuring. I will feel a lot better once it is out.

MoreBeta Sun 10-Jul-11 21:12:04

I am pretty sure he will be fine. Plum stones are specially designed to go through an animal's gut so they get carried away from the tree and deposited somewhere else with a nice dose of manure.

Just watch out for any adverse symptoms. I dont think there will be any.

PumpkinBeans Sun 10-Jul-11 21:14:01

Thats a good point, I hadn't thought of it that way!

missmakesstuff Sun 10-Jul-11 21:25:45

we think dD has eaten about three plum stones in her eating carreer - she is 15 months.

We aren't neglectful, honest - it's just that she grabs the fruit and shoves the whole thing in, gobbles it down in about 5 seconds!

Each time I have searched wherever we are to check for the stone, to see if she just dropped it - the last two never turned up, so we think she just spat them out and we didn't see, and the first one did, in her nappy.

She don't even blink when it came out.

Like the nurse said, keep an eye, give her plenty of water, maybe the odd prune (de-stoned!!) to ease things along, and wait! I'm sure she will be fine.

Good luck with the nappy checking!

DeWe Mon 11-Jul-11 09:42:11

DS got a liking for plum stones and swallowed a few over a short time. He thought it was funny. Didn't even seem to give him tummy ache.

PumpkinBeans Mon 11-Jul-11 21:32:14

He's just passed it! Thanks everyone for helping to put my mind at rest, I was imagining all kinds of terrible things happening!

It was in the second full nappy, very smelly job having to poke it about.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now