So DD2 (19mo) has had recurring ear infections with discharge since April. She's already booked in for grommets in a few weeks' time, but her current infection just won't go away. Her ear started discharging on Sunday and despite starting Amoxicillin on Monday morning, and antibiotic eardrops yesterday evening, there's still gunk coming out of her ear, about once or twice a day. Do I need to take her back to the docs AGAIN and ask for stronger oral ABs? Or do I wait until tomorrow to give the eardrops a chance to work? Previously the gunk has always stopped as soon as she started on ABs so I am out of my depth now! Would be grateful for any advice from parents who've been through similar...
sorry - no real advice; I think as long as she's not in pain I would give it another day. The leaking didn't used to bother my DD as by then the drum had burst and the pressure was off.
I think I told you before about long term AB;s - so just to update you: we had a 2 month course of zithromax (one week double; then remaining weeks half dose) has really helped. DD been ear-infection free since July (and sleeping through the night!)
Hi Oricella, thanks for coming along to help DD2 had Cithromax as well in the late summer, which kept her infection free for 6 weeks, but as soon as she stopped the course / the ABs stopped working, the ear infections came right back. Hence the decision to have grommets. She doesn't seem bothered and hasn't got a fever, but I just think if there's that much gunk, the infection must still be raging, no? Am a bit worried about it spreading, or doing lasting damage.
Gunk is good. Gunk coming out means the infected bit is free draining, with no other symptoms keep on with the drops for another day. Maybe make an appt with the GP to check tomorrow though, you can always cancel it if she rallys this evening.
That's a shame it didn't work - I was really pleased it did over here (knock on wood the infections won't return)
Not sure what I would do - can you give your GP a call for advice? They told me that if DD had another infection, to treat it as any other child - i.e. wait and see for a day or 2, but if AB's were needed not to bother with Amoxycillin, but to go straight for the stronger stuff
Yup I think she does need the stronger stuff and I have already asked to be called back by the GP. We are also awaiting swab results (why do they take so long?). Since we're also under private care with the ENT, I might phone him again to ask for a prescription for Augmentin, but we only saw him last night and he came up with the ear drops!
Oh Schulte - don't have anything helpful to say but just wanted to send my sympathies. Poor H - she's really been through the mill hasn't she?
I would definitely get another appointment with the GP - can't do any harm and will hopefully set your mind at rest that you're doing everything you can (whether that be sticking with the current ABs or being prescribed stronger ones).
Is it possible for children to have what they confusingly term 'ear toilet'? I had this for a horrific ear infection a couple of summer ago and it involved going to an ENT guy who hoovered it all out and applied antibiotic ointment on the exact spot of the infection. Worked like magic.