Talk

Advanced search

Is it possible to have a vaginal birth after three c-sections? And can you have 4 c-sections

(16 Posts)
IlanaK Sun 09-Aug-09 18:13:47

Just thinking ahead - not pregnant. I said I wouldn't have a fourth as I couldn't go through pregnancy and childbirth again (pregnancy is another issue for another thread!), but I am wondering if it is possible either way.

Any experiences or thoughts?

sarah293 Sun 09-Aug-09 18:14:58

Message withdrawn

IlanaK Sun 09-Aug-09 18:17:47

Thanks for replying. Did you have it in hospital? From everything I have read, you are least likely to have interventions leading to a c-section if you have your baby in as relaxed an environment as possible such as home or a birthing centre. I am guessing I would not be "allowed" as I have had three sections. What was your experience?

sarah293 Sun 09-Aug-09 18:25:47

Message withdrawn

IlanaK Sun 09-Aug-09 18:30:09

Ok, thanks for the info. So, is there anyone out there that has had 4 c-sections.

mrsdisorganised Sun 09-Aug-09 18:34:07

I've had 4 c/s (2 emergency and 2 elective) was never told that I could try for a VBAC after dd2, was a bit upset that I never got the chance to 'try'!

However my consultant says I could have up to 6 c/s as I heal and recover very well, currently pg with my 5th but have asked to be sterilised during this c/s as I feel that now I am being selfish in putting my health and possibly the babys' before my dc's.

Like Riven says the important thing is that you and your baby are safe. I would love to have had a baby naturally but it wasn't to be and my body didn't seem to agreehmm

Good luck. smile

sarah293 Sun 09-Aug-09 18:36:38

Message withdrawn

DollyPS Sun 09-Aug-09 18:38:38

Have to say that is a positive thing to say Riven.

It used to be 3 sections then stop but if a gap between and healing is fine its as many as you want.

As for VBAC you go for it and amass your info about and talk to others that have after VBAC+1/2/3

Klaw Sun 09-Aug-09 19:02:02

It is possible both ways, as Riven says.

I imagine that for every negative experience for either option you will also get positive experiences.

I do know that there have been positive VBA3C and VBA4Cs with Melanie's HBA4C being a lovely example. And yet even with a first section you have the risk of an hysterectomy, which only goes up with each subsequent CS

VBAC Vs Repeat CS

http://medicalcenter.osu.edu/viewer/Pages/index.aspx?newsid=2835 Vaginal Birth a Safe Option After Multiple C-Sections]]

There are risks with EVERY single birth, you need to decide which risks YOU are willing to take. There are risks to having a further section just as there are risks to having a VBAC.

NellyTheElephant Sun 09-Aug-09 20:36:26

I don't think that there is any specific limit on the number of c-sections you can have, the problem is that it is very personal to you and how you have healed. I had my 3rd section 4 months ago. As it's possible (though unlikely) that we might like another child I asked about this. The consultant told me that I should ask the surgeon doing my section to have a good look at the state of me, which I did, and so she came back to talk to me about it the next day. She said that in my case the uterine wall was now incredibly thin and she had had a lot of trouble with the op (I did notice it was a lot longer than my previous 2 sections), she said that stitching me back up was particularly difficult. She said that if I did get pregnant again there was a much higher chance of rupture than normal and that I would need very close monitoring and a high chance that in later stages I might need to be hospitalised and a high risk of early delivery. However, she said if I wanted another child she wouldn't advise me against it, just that I needed to be aware that close monitoring would be necessary.

I think it is worth noting that when people make the sweeping statement about you can only have three sections the 'risk' they are referring to is not so much the 4th section itself, but the 4th pregnancy. So if I were to decide to have a 4th baby I would definitely have another section as in my circumstances that would be safer for me than risking a VBAC. If you have a very thin uterus and higher chance of rupture I understand you are better off having a 4th section than risking a VBAC.

About 6 months after I had my first section my uterus was ruptured (unrelated to childbirth), so from the point of view of healing and scar tissue etc I have effectively had 4 sections

Can you get your notes from your last section and see if it gives any clue as to how you healed from the previous ones and how your body is holding up on that front?

fairygirl3 Sun 09-Aug-09 20:39:04

have just had my 4th section 5 days ago,must say it has been the worse in terms of recovery ,scar very painfull,was told they had to cut away lots of scar tissue & had trouble with the stitching up after.was told that 4th would carry much more risks but it seemed to go ok but have been told not to have any more because of the risk of rupture during pregnancy being high.I tried for a vbac with dc3 but didnt happen so just resigned myself to a 4 th section.

IlanaK Sun 09-Aug-09 21:19:08

I think I healed well from the other 3. The last one did take longer, but I was warned it might just because I had two previous ones. To be honest, I did not ask much when they were stiching me up as the baby stopped breathing and there were other things to worry about.

deo357 Mon 10-Aug-09 20:23:02

Hi, i have had 5 c-sections and im still smiling!!! I've had one emerg the rest elective, and all been pretty good really, i got infection with no 5 so it took longer to be comfortable. Knowing what i know now maybe i should have pushed for vbac after 1st one, because i am really wanting a 6th baby and OBVIOUSLY 6 sections is more risky, and i wouldnt have to be worrying if i had them naturally. PErsonally I wouldnt recommend getting sterilised as i have often said whilst pregnant with aches and pains this is the last one, then as time goes on i change my mind. Hopefully my consultant will give me his blessing for no6!

PavlovtheForgetfulCat Mon 10-Aug-09 20:24:46

Well I would think you have to go with one of the options wouldn't you? grin I mean, if you fall pregnant, baby has to come out somehow grin

Sorry, very insensitive blush

katendmom Mon 10-Aug-09 21:21:58

I had 2 c-sections and now am scheduled for my 3rd. I was given a choice of vbac after the first c-section but frankly strongly advised against it this time around. Since I plan on sterilization this time around, I will go for the 3rd c-section. Even though my first 2 were completely uneventful with a very quick recovery, I am still nervous. It is a surgery after all, right? However, just spoke to my friend who had a baby last week... vaginally... and ended up with 17 stitches after 20 hours of labor... shock

logi Thu 13-Aug-09 19:23:01

Ive had 4 sections all went well, my 4th went the smoothest,i started a thread regarding 5 sections then seen this thread so its been interesting to read as i would like another child.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now