Talk

Advanced search

strong contractions every 20 minutes or so?

(7 Posts)
SevernTrentWater Sun 26-Jul-09 06:04:45

I'm having contractions every 20 minutes since about 3.30 - it's now 6.00, is this normal? They are getting stronger but not closer together. How is this likely to progress? Are there any rules? is this even real labour? I had some pinky blood down the toilet just after the 'contractions' started, in between the 'strong ones' that i feel it in my back and my stomach tightens up, it feels like constant period cramps. I'm due in 2 days.

spookycharlotte121 Sun 26-Jul-09 06:18:56

sounds like you had a show. I would say your in labour, maybe take some parecetamol to help take the edge off of it for now, walking round helps too!!!

Is this your first baby?

SevernTrentWater Sun 26-Jul-09 06:20:12

yep, first baby, so i don't have a clue, it's so early in the morning i'm just sitting here typing away with no relatives to consult, i don't want to wake anyone by ringing them in case it all stops!

spookycharlotte121 Sun 26-Jul-09 06:27:03

Do you have a DP or a birthing partner? If your still comfortable then I would get things in order before the contractions get any stronger. Its a good idea to let someone know that your in labour especially if your on your own. If you have a cordless phone or mobile keep it in your pocket, you never know how fast things are going to go.
Perhaps also call the hosp (if you are having a hospital birth) and let them know whats happening with your contractions, see if they can offer you any help.

Dont do too much though, you will need your strength for later

I've had 2 babies but im not sure my advice is all that good. If you keep posting updates on here of how things are going someone more knowledgable will hopefully be able to help., in the mean time i dont mind chatting to you if you would like the company.... my kids (ds is 2 and dd is 1) woke me up at 4.30!!!

SevernTrentWater Sun 26-Jul-09 06:46:17

well i have my partner in the next room asleep, but he's planning on going racing from 8.00 - 2pm tomorrow and i'm not sure whether to tell him not to go! Lol, these contractions are still not doing much at all.

spookycharlotte121 Sun 26-Jul-09 06:52:09

hmmm difficult decision. perhaps he can make his own mind up once he knows your having contractions.
Hopefully if you try and keep mobile, hands on hips doing a sort of circular motion it can help move things along, get the baby moving in the right direction.

Things might have moved along by the time your dp wakes up in which case the decision will have been made for him grin

Do you know if your having a boy or a girl?

I know the pain is a bit crap but its seriously the most exciting thing ever having a baby, especially when its your first. Just think in a few hours time you will have a cute little baby nestling up to you!!! Im jealous!

GYo Sun 26-Jul-09 07:13:01

hi, how exciting

If I was in your shoes I'd ask my DP not to go racing. My labour starred like that and then suddenly I went from contractions every 15min to every 3 mins. I didn't give birth for another 14 hrs but having DH there really helped keep me calm. Doesnt matter if its a false alarm!

Good luck and keep us updated.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now