Advanced search

Got questions about giving birth? Know what to expect and when to expect it, with the Mumsnet Pregnancy Calendar.

Waters broken-how long should they wait before I am induced???

(23 Posts)
Snips Thu 28-Apr-05 18:04:35

Would be grateful for any advice. My waters broke this morning and I went to the hospital and was checked over but I am not having any contractions, so have been given an induction date of Sunday 1st May. With my 1st the same thing happened but they induced me about 36 hours after my waters broke due to risk of infection. Is it ok to wait 72 hours? Baby is moving less, but still moving. I did check for other threads on this topic but could not find any and I lost a baby at 21 weeks last year so a bit paranoid as you can imagine. Thanks in advance.

BROWNY Thu 28-Apr-05 18:07:48

Snips - can't help with your question - but for your own piece of mind, why don't you ring your Maternity Hospital or Midwife and ask her. My own hospital advises that you come in as soon as your waters have broken to minimise infection. Good luck and hope you have a quick and not too painful birth!

astonished Thu 28-Apr-05 18:10:05

Snips, not an expert but will share what i know with you. You continue to make waters after they have gone, so your baby will still have some to float around in, but you may leak a bit! Also i think the amount of time they make you wait can vary, a lady i was in hos[ital with was made to wait also but she did go into Labour eventually on her own. I would suggest walking around lots and staying upright as much as poss, and relaxing too and I'm sure your baby will make an appearance soon. Also please remember that induction can lead to a more medicalised labour so perhaps they are making you wait so you have a good chance of a non medicalised delivery. if you are worried about infection perhaps they can give you some antibiotics. Good Luck xxx

Snips Thu 28-Apr-05 20:04:13

Thanks for the advice.

Hope it happens soon!

jellyhead Thu 28-Apr-05 20:10:12

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

pupuce Thu 28-Apr-05 20:18:06

Snips - the British Medical Journal published research that said there was no more risk of infection if you waited 96 hours.
I think you are lucky they are not pressurising you actually!
If you are at all concerned - keep taking your temp (every 4 hours or so)... if you develop a fever than do go to hospital.
Also as they checked you over i am sure they swabed you and this will say if you are indeed at risk of infection. Results are known within 48 hours. If they come back positive I am sure they'll ring you.
You are very likely to go into labour in 48 hours - 72 tops....
Good luck

myermay Thu 28-Apr-05 20:18:24

Message withdrawn

franke Thu 28-Apr-05 20:25:11

While you're waiting at home there are measures you can take to avoid the risk of infection: avoid pelvic exams (your midwife should be aware of this); avoid intercourse (!); avoid sitting in water ie have showers not baths; check your temp. regularly and watch for pain or tenderness in the abdomen; drink plenty of fluids.

If you are anxious, as others have said, I'd let your midwife know and maybe you could go in sooner. Your understandable anxiety could well have an affect on your ability to go into labour without induction, so you might as well be induced sooner rather than later iykwim. Good luck

tigi Thu 28-Apr-05 20:41:57

With my first child- now 10, I waited 24 hours before being induced, and with the second (now 5)it was 48, but I was kept in, and they did keep checking my temp. I realise they may do it different now, but if you are worried, phone them up, it is a long time to wait if you are anxious.

katzguk Thu 28-Apr-05 20:55:53


i waited about 56 hours to be induced, waters went on early hours wed morning induced 11am on thursday. Was sent home as less risk of infection because my body would knwo the bugs in my house.

from drip in to baby out was 4.5 hours.

katzguk Thu 28-Apr-05 20:57:21

so should be early hours of tues morning!

Snips Fri 29-Apr-05 10:17:31

Thanks everyone. That's really helpful. Still no signs of going into labour . However there is one good thing in that today me and dh get to spend the day with ds and give him our undivided attention (dh off work on compassionate leave). Tomorrow mum and sister arrive, and hopefully we'll have our baby by Sunday night.

Will let you know how we do. Thanks again.

oops Fri 29-Apr-05 10:33:59

Message withdrawn

katzguk Fri 29-Apr-05 10:38:45

just as a nobus i was told the longer the waters are broken the thinner your cervix is because the babies head is on it - so it should be quick once they get you going

katzguk Fri 29-Apr-05 10:39:04

nobus - bonus!!

lovingmummy Fri 29-Apr-05 10:40:06

I was given 24 hours for baby to be deivered once my waters had broken. They said the baby was open to infection once the waters had gone but I know these guidelines have changed since then.

wordsmith Fri 29-Apr-05 10:46:47

Is it your forewaters or your hindwaters, Snips? I started 'leaking' on the Sunday morning and went into be monitored and they said it was probably the hind waters, which are a lot less voluminous than the forewaters. I was told to come back 24 hours later to be induced (ie the monday morning) and DS2 was born at 8pm on Monday night. Labour only took about 4 hours. They kept me in after for 48 hours because it had been longer than 24 hours from waters breaking to birth because of increased risk of infection.

I would imagine if your waters have broken baby will be here before Sunday! Good luck.

Snips Fri 29-Apr-05 16:38:26

Theres been a lot of water so I suspect its forewaters. I just know I won't go into natural labour as I didn't with ds which is a bit disappointing as I know the contractions are a bit more painful when induced, especially if it's a drip. But I spoke to my midwife and she said 72 hours is the hospital policy, and baby is moving about, so I'm going to go with that unless anything changes. So if all the stories here are anything to go by, it won't take too long for my baby to be in my arms once I start being induced. I know I'm already about 2cm dilated as I had a cervical suture for this pregnancy, and I went to 2cm when the suture was taken out on Tuesday. Getting really excited!!!

pupuce Fri 29-Apr-05 17:07:46

Snips - I have been with women who had a spontaneous rupture of membranes and who had NOTHING, not a twinge and then suddenly after 48 hours they started.
I would not worry about the drip as it does not necessary make it more painful. Also as this isn't your first you will go quickly too.

vickiyumyum Fri 29-Apr-05 17:12:44

i'm a student midwife and at the hospital that i work 72 hours is the maximum amount of time that we would leave you to go into labour spontaneously. they are probably thiunking that as this is your second baby you are more likely to go into labour yourself and giving you every opportunity to do so. i would imagine that at the 72 hours if you haven't delivered your baby and you are beginning induction that they will give you antibiotics as a prophylaxsis against infection.
hope that helps and good luck!

pupuce Sat 30-Apr-05 21:58:24

So where are you snips???

Snips Mon 09-May-05 15:25:45

Hi all

Sorry it's taken me so long to let you all know how it went. Well, firstly I have a beautiful baby boy who was born on 3rd May 2005. He weighed 7lbs 4oz, and is doing really well.

I went to the hospital on Sunday morning (1st May-72 hours after waters broke), but due to bed shortages in labour ward, I did not actually get induced that day but 4pm the next day (over 100 hours after my waters broke!). They started the induction and nothing happened until about 10.30 pm when I started to get contractions and I got gas and air. About 11pm the pain was unbelievable and I asked for an epidural. Well, they would not give me one as I was only 1cm dilated. I could not believe I was only 1cm, but also could not believe they would not give me the epidural when they knew I would have stronger contractions soon enough as I was on sytocinon! Anyway, about half an hour to an hour later, I really did not think I could go on, so I asked for an epidural again. They checked me and I was 10cm dilated, so I went from 1cm to 10cm in about 1 hour and it was bloody painful!!! I gave birth half an hour later, but I must admit it was a really traumatic experience, and I think I am going to arrange an apointment with the hospital to discuss it further!!!

But the main thing is that I have a healthy boy, and that means the world to me.

Thanks for all your help with my question about the waters.

uwila Mon 09-May-05 15:31:01

Oh jeez, snips. I would definitely make a formal complaint. I can't understand why hospital staff can refuse an epidural. I'd be fuming mad. And I'd keep a copy of my maternity notes!! Something I wish I had done last time.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: