Talk

Advanced search

Contractions for over 24 hours! Help!

(9 Posts)
ilovecheese1 Thu 06-Jun-19 12:38:03

Hi!
I’m 40 + 6 today with my second baby. Started having mild contractions yesterday around 8am that were all over the place but had become more regular & intense by the evening. (Every 10 mins) went to bed & got woken up by contractions at 4am, timed again they were 7 mins apart. Was sure it was really happening but alas! They’ve slowed right down. When ever I rest/stop walking around the contractions really decrease to every 30-40mins. I rang labour triage who said this is totally normal & could go on for days in the same way sad I have lost the mucus plug if that’s relevant. Anyone else have this? How long did you labour like this? It’s just exhausting imagining this going on for days! Any advice on how to speed things up?
Thanks in advance ladies!

OP’s posts: |
ilovecheese1 Thu 06-Jun-19 13:35:52

Bump! 🤞🏼

gnushoes Thu 06-Jun-19 13:42:12

I had this with all mine so don't worry. It's a long time ago now but I had at least 24 hours of false labour like this with all of them. The first, my plug went and we agreed with hospital to check me after 48 hours if nothing had happened (booked for home birth). Went in just to be checked, baby fine, no infection and not much in the way of labour. Jolly midwife advised to go away and have sex with lots of nipple stimulation and maybe a glass of red wine. Baby born about 12 hours later smile
Dc2 another on/off labour with lots of contractions but not going anywhere, as was no 3. Second two in particular got going properly when it got dark and were v fast labours once they did.
Hope that helps!

gnushoes Thu 06-Jun-19 13:44:19

Forgot to say, I'd suggest being properly active when you can to help move the baby down but also try to get sleep where possible. You won't sleep though real labour as it's very different. Sex may well speed things up but only when they're ready to be sped.

ilovecheese1 Thu 06-Jun-19 14:08:19

Thank you @gnushoes. Staying active is definitely keeping things going - also hoping the fact this part is being so long will mean the active phase is shorter?! Completely different to my first labour so I’m in unknown territory here. Thanks for your advice!

gnushoes Thu 06-Jun-19 17:23:03

I had comparatively short active labours - maybe 10 hours for #1, four or five tops for #2 and about 40 minutes for #3. You'll know the real thing from the unproductive labour I promise- but all these random contractions will be doing something!

gnushoes Fri 07-Jun-19 15:32:02

Any baby yet @ilovecheese1?

ilovecheese1 Wed 12-Jun-19 10:50:39

Yes! She was born on the 7th at 4am smile @gnushoes & I did have a short active labour! About 4 hours

gnushoes Wed 12-Jun-19 10:52:45

Congratulations @ilovecheese1 - worth all the days of is-it-isn't-it 😀

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in