Talk

Advanced search

Placenta delivery injection

(24 Posts)
Elland Tue 18-Apr-17 05:19:10

Does anyone know if the injection to deliver the placenta is normally given without any mention or should the woman be asked/informed beforehand?

kshaw Tue 18-Apr-17 05:35:55

Mine was just given. I was on a drip anyway as was induced and strep b positive so was just into canula

LifeBeginsNow Tue 18-Apr-17 05:53:03

I tried naturally for over an hour while breastfeeding but it just didn't happen so they said they were going to give it. I guess I could've said no at this point.

Fruitboxjury Tue 18-Apr-17 05:57:58

I was asked both times but you can write on your birth plan and tell your birth partner if you have strong feelings. Or tell the midwife when you arrive at hospital, there's usually time between contractions to have a chat

fernanie Tue 18-Apr-17 06:05:55

You should definitely be informed and asked beforehand; I think it's quite a powerful drug. My experience was the clinic midwife mentioned it briefly antenatally, then while I was in labour (long before the pushing bit) the labour midwife went through the injection, if DH wanted to cut the cord, if I wanted skin-to-skin straight away etc. Then again just before she gave it she gave me a little warning that she was about to.

That said, I wanted it, so it was all quite straightforward and we never had to have much of a discussion about it. I imagine if you don't want it, it's more of an issue. Also if you bleed a lot at the end I think it can basically save your life / save you needing a blood transfusion. So maybe if it's an emergency they just give it whether you want it or not?

beargrass Tue 18-Apr-17 06:24:21

I think it's normally just given. I would read up on it and and questions pertinent to you. I opted out for fear of it interrupting oxytocin but then couldn't deliver the placenta, cervix closed, I lost a LOT of blood and had to have the placenta surgically removed. It was a pretty awful experience after what had been a textbook birth.

I have always been on the anaemic side, I've had issues with fainting during my period, have low BMI...but because I was classed low risk, no one ever questioned my refusal of the injection and so none of this was known. I don't know for a fact that my history played a part but it only occurred to me afterwards.

I think failure to deliver the placenta is rare but it is serious. I would ask your midwives more about it all. I wish I had!

SquedgieBeckenheim Tue 18-Apr-17 06:25:15

I was told I was having it the first time, had pre-eclampsia so needed placenta out ASAP.
Second time I was asked if I wanted it and I said yes!

user1471495191 Tue 18-Apr-17 06:32:53

I was asked to give my consent. On my birth plan and then in labour. I was initially undecided but at the end of a long, drawn out labour I just wanted it over with and to spend time with my baby

skerrywind Tue 18-Apr-17 06:44:47

I wrote in in my birth plan, and was asked if I wanted it just after delivery.
After waiting 45 minutes though it felt really insignificant.
The cord had been cut and I just wanted to focus on my baby, so asked for the injection.
Second time I was asked just after cord was cut and was given it.

OP I would keep an open mind.

After giving birth and have your baby in your arms you may have a different perspective.

naturalbaby Tue 18-Apr-17 06:45:05

I didn't want it unless absolutely necessary so made it clear that it was to be discussed if midwives felt it was needed.

skerrywind Tue 18-Apr-17 06:59:27

Can I ask why you didn't want the injection naruralbaby?

Foreverhopeful22 Tue 18-Apr-17 07:08:51

I was asked prior before active labour started and again after birth.

I had it and olacenta was delivered within 10 mins start to finish

Hullabaloo31 Tue 18-Apr-17 07:13:48

First time I was asked if I was happy to have it, which I was and all was well, but it made me sick.
Second time I just made a note in my birth plan (which was only a couple of notes that they generally ask you anyway) that I'd like to try a natural 3rd stage as the injection made me sick.
Fed baby straight away and it took about 5 minutes.

randomsabreuse Tue 18-Apr-17 07:16:46

Had the injection - delayed cord clamping wasn't an option and they wanted to get on with stitches, and I wanted them to get on with them too... was fine for me.

Elland Tue 18-Apr-17 09:10:11

Thanks for your replies everyone! It all seems quite varied.

I've actually had my baby but I never had any kind of discussion around the injection before/during birth and just wondered what was the norm.

I had a pretty tough birth right at the end and had to be blue lighted from a midwife led unit to the hospital just before I was ready to push and ended up with an episiotomy, forceps and 3rd degree tear in the rush to get baby out. I just remember someone appearing at my side, injecting me and walking away -I realised what it was and the placenta came out shortly afterwards.

Baby wasn't very well when he came out and had to be taken from me, I also lost 3 pints of blood so I guess all of this contributed to why I wasn't given a choice on the injection.

I don't know why I'm even thinking about it because I would have chosen to have it anyway but I think I had completely lost control over my body at this point and it was just an extra thing. Maybe it's because they didn't say a word and just did it when they could have just said, we need to get the placenta out so we're giving you the injection.

DS was fine after a few days in the special baby unit so I know all is well that ends well but I still feel pretty traumatised over that day!

Elland Tue 18-Apr-17 09:12:00

I'm not intending to call the staff if it comes off that way, they did a great job making sure DS was okay.

pinguina16 Tue 18-Apr-17 09:53:03

I was asked. It was part of my birth plan but they still asked me again.
Don't feel you're imposing by trying to understand your birth. You need to understand your birth.
You could read the Babycentre article called Should I have a managed or physiological third stage?
You've had a difficult birth and from my experience it takes time to process all of it. flowers

GrumpyDullard Tue 18-Apr-17 10:09:18

The first time, I had said I didn't want it but I felt pressurised into it because the student midwife wanted to finish her shift. I had wanted a home birth but the mw who came out to me was awful, said she didn't want to attend and then, when she grudgingly came out, wouldn't examine me as I was experiencing "false labour" and told me to go back to bed. Instead, I went to hospital (because I was obviously too pathetic for a homebirth if "false labour" was so unbearable) to find I was 8cm dilated.
Stubbornly refusing the injection at my second (mw-led unit) birth was my way of keeping some control over my birth plan. The placenta took ages to come out, I bled loads, my blood pressure went through the floor and I fainted 3 times.
Third time, I had no birth plan other. I went to the delivery suite and it was the easiest, least stressful birth of the three. I think the false promise of "choice" makes for a more miserable experience. We have no control over birth. Some people are lucky, some aren't. Pretending that writing a plan will make any difference to the outcome doesn't help anyone, IMHO.

honeycheeerios Tue 18-Apr-17 10:35:20

I was asked at one of my antenatal checks and said I wanted it so it was in my notes.
Don't recall being asked during or after labour so assume my notes were just followed but I was admitted as an emergency so might have been necessary.
I personally didn't see the point lying there waiting to deliver it and potentially haemorrhaging or whatever if it failed to come naturally, I just wanted to focus on my baby.

BringMeTea123 Tue 18-Apr-17 17:49:01

I wanted to wait for the placenta to pass naturally but I was given the injection but tbh I didn't know anything about it. Didn't even know the placenta was out until they asked me if I wanted to see it confused lol. I know my leg hurt for a few weeks though lol

BringMeTea123 Tue 18-Apr-17 17:50:09

Should mention though think they wanted to just get it out of me as I was so tired and had been through a horrific birth. I wanted delayed cord clamping and everything done natural but they made the call to get it done and get me stitched up

RMC123 Thu 20-Apr-17 07:28:48

I was asked each time but it did make me horribly sick and shaky. I have four DC and I didn't realise it was the drug that was making me sick, I thought it was just my bodies reaction to giving birth. I discussed with my Midwife when I was pregnant with my fourth and she said it was probably the drug and why not deliver the placenta naturally. Actually as the pregnancy when on I developed quite dramatic anaemia so they strongly recommended I had the drug in case of any complications- big bleeds etc. I took their advice and I was sick but better that than end up in ITC. Never got my post birth tea and toast though. Hubby had it every time I was too sick .

haveacupoftea Fri 21-Apr-17 15:29:28

It would have been good practice for that person to explain to you what they were giving you before they gave it. To just inject you and not explain why is very poor.

Tenerife2015 Sat 29-Apr-17 22:33:22

I have a terrible phobia of needles! After giving birth to DD, literally a minute later it dawned on me that I was going to have a jab! I started to panic and begged them not to do it.. Only to be told that I had already been given it. I didn't feel a thing.

I'm a bit annoyed as I didn't give permission but my placenta was delivered very quickly and effortlessly!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now