36 weeks- signs of labour. Anyone experience similar?

(12 Posts)
TheMockTurtle Sat 29-Oct-16 09:30:14

So... I'm pregnant with my 3rd. My first arrived unexpectedly at 35 weeks exactly (never explained) and my 2nd was born right on his due date.

So, I'm 36 weeks. Last week I went to hospital with frequent (3-5 min intervals) strong bracton hicks that would take my breath away. I wasn't dialated, nor did I have an infection or anything to suggest labour.

I have pretty much been having very frequent, sometimes regular braxton hicks since. Today, some spasmy lower back pain too. Loads of white discharge (not thrush) for a few weeks too. No bloody show.

So... anyone had similar? Could it still be weeks or does it sound like this one might be early too?

tootiredtothinkofaclevername Sat 29-Oct-16 09:32:55

Yes I had all the same symptoms and went early at 39 weeks. It sounds like you're body is gearing up for labor in short order.

NotSureYet Mon 31-Oct-16 09:39:29

I'm exactly where you are; 36 + 1. Went in to hospital last night for monitoring as I'd been having lower back cramps (like period cramps) all day and was getting uncomfortable twinges and tightenings across my abdomen. Baby was transverse.
I lost part of my mucus plug yesterday and a bit more again this morning. Still have the cramps and twinges.
The doctor said last night my cervix is soft and about half a centimetre dilated so I may go in to labour in the next few days.
Good luck!!! chocolate

NotSureYet Wed 02-Nov-16 13:10:57

So... any signs of movement OP?

happydays00 Fri 04-Nov-16 16:00:44

Any sign OP or notsure?

I'm 35+4 and experiencing similar symptoms: dull back and period pains/tightenings across my abdomen. Have had more discharge than normal for the past couple of weeks but no sign of mucous plug. Can't decide whether it is the pressure in my pelvis that is causing some of the "twinges" or if it's Braxton Hicks or...

Is it worth a call to the midwife do you think?

CarrieLouise25 Fri 04-Nov-16 16:03:08

Had braxton hicks much earlier and stronger with the 3rd, from about 32 weeks, but didn't go into labour until 39 weeks.

Good luck x

NotSureYet Fri 04-Nov-16 16:53:03

Nothing here yet. Sunday and Monday made it seem like things were getting going but it's all stopped now. Still getting random lower back cramps and lots of mucusy discharge (lovely!), but not much else.

Hope it all gets going soon. Can't wait to meet this little one.

NotSureYet Fri 04-Nov-16 16:57:46

Happyday00** might be worth a call for some reassurance. I rang due to the baby being transverse. They didn't want me going in to labour without her having turned cephalic and told me to ring and come in for monitoring if I experienced any signs of early labour.

I image they'll tell you to take a paracetamol and have a warm bath and call back when your contractions are five minutes apart. Xx

Heirhelp Fri 04-Nov-16 17:02:09

If you are less than 37 weeks you need to go to hospital as your baby's lungs are not fully developed enough. If you are in labour they can give you drugs to try and prevent labour and steroids to develop the baby's lungs.

SeventeenRainbeaus Mon 07-Nov-16 09:48:45

At 36 weeks the baby's lungs are potentially fine. My first was born at 36 weeks and did not need any drugs hmm There's research to suggest women go into labour due to the baby releasing hormones to let her body know the baby is ready and their lungs are mature. Messing around with the cord after delivery doesn't help as immediate clamping shocks the baby gasping for breath nor does coach pushing

When my waters broke and I was getting pains I went back to bed for 2 hours then had baby 3 hours later.

SeventeenRainbeaus Mon 07-Nov-16 09:50:59

It's more likely with a planned c-section or induction that the baby's lungs aren't matured enough because baby is being forced out before things are ready and with a spontaneous labour it's likely baby's lungs are mature enough.

TheMockTurtle Mon 06-Feb-17 07:51:11

Hi guys. Sorry, I didn't know there were many replies to this thread.

Just to let you all know, my baby girl arrived safely 3 hours after her due date! I.e. 2.45am the morning after my due date. Haha. A very very speedy labour. First contraction at midnight. All natural. I was having bad contractions but thought labour was just starting and when they checked me I was 7cm dilated. I reckon all the months of braxton hicks were getting my body ready for labour.

Also, mind over matter? I don't think I totally panicked about the pain/what was happening until I was told how close I was to giving birth! I was totally coping and breathing through the contractions until I was told I was ready to push at any second. Then I was like "give me all the drugs!" I was too close though and she was born pronto!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now