Talk

Advanced search

Disposable bottles - recommendations?

(24 Posts)
TurtleAnn Sat 01-Aug-09 10:32:01

I am going on holiday and there wont be anywhere to sterilise bottles.

Has anyone got any experience or recommendations for disposable baby bottles?

SoupDragon Sat 01-Aug-09 10:34:19

All you need to sterilise bottles is a tupperware box and some sterilising tablets.

TurtleAnn Sat 01-Aug-09 10:39:25

It's not going to be that kind of situation. We are sailing!

EachPeachPearMum Sat 01-Aug-09 10:42:42

is there a microwave on board? There are sterilising bags by lindam available

SoupDragon Sat 01-Aug-09 12:20:26

I'm not sure how that makes any difference. Box (with a tight lid), water, tablets.

LIZS Sat 01-Aug-09 12:24:25

Cold water sterlising bags from boots or mothercare ? Just hang over bath or shower - we used them on a canal boat when ds was a baby.

TurtleAnn Sat 01-Aug-09 15:08:53

Thanks, sailing on the med means no reliable water source.
We will have to drink bottled water but that wont be suitable for sterlising.
No microwave, not that classy a yacht!

LIZS Sat 01-Aug-09 15:31:37

Don't think it matters for sterilising tbh or you could boil them for a few mins in a saucepan.

TurtleAnn Sat 01-Aug-09 16:28:00

I found Tommy Tippee, I'm gonna give their steribottles a go this week.

The thing about boats, especially ones going to sea in the Med is that cleanliness isn't really a priority. The knives wont be sharp, the plates wont have had a good wash with washing up liquid for years. This is fine for me, I love sailing like this - but not for my DS, he's only little. x

mumface Sat 01-Aug-09 21:36:19

I tried the new vital baby disposible bottles from boots.What a nightmare. They are a floppy bag which requires 2 hands to hold upright so how do u hold the baby? When it flops down, the milk flow falls down, baby gets a big gulp of air.
It said 0-3 months on box, the flow was so fast my 5 week old got drenched in milk!
It was a nightmare feed.
Oh yes & u can't put the bottle down to wind your baby as it's floppy with no lid so teat touches the table.

earplugs Sat 01-Aug-09 22:44:16

Hi,
I've used some before, I got them in Tesco and I'm sure they were called Sterifeed or something. They came in slow flow or fast flow teats, 4 in a box and were fine. You have to get the hang of screwing the tops on (they have to click 3 times to be on tight or they leak everywhere!)and once the top is on, you can't take it off again. If you have left over milk then you have to cut the top off of the teat to pour it away which is a PITA, but not as much of one as sterilising etc.

Don't think the teats were particularly fancy (by that I mean nipple shaped etc) but if your DC isn't fussed by different teats then they are good if you've got the luggage space to take them!

earplugs Sat 01-Aug-09 22:52:46

Just googled and seen that they are the Steribottles that you mention TurtleAnn, and looks like they have made some improvements with a new 'easy to use snap fit locking cap' so obviously someone else found the old ones a sod to screw on properly!

WesternBelle Sat 01-Aug-09 23:13:28

Just to add re Steribottles, is good to get the baby used to them before you go. I took used them for the first time on a trip out, the flow seemed very fast even though it said slow, and DS couldn't swallow it quickly enough so was choking up and couldn't be fed, then he cried because he was hungry and must have felt like we were teasing him. we had to leave & go home to feed him from his normal bottles.

They're not cheap though - work out at 50p each (roughly, I think) and they are single use only as once the lids are on they are on permanently. The screw on lids do send milk everywhere if it's not put on just right and you can't unscrew it and start again so all in all a bit of advance practice is definitely advised smile

SoupDragon Mon 03-Aug-09 07:43:29

Bottled water is fine for sterilising. Much better than something you throw away into landfill.

TurtleAnn Mon 03-Aug-09 10:40:59

Just tried the Steribottles and they aren't good enough to take with us.

There wasnt enough room in the bottle to mix 240mls of water with powder, because of the extra room powder takes

DS wasn't able to use the teat to extract the milk and kept choking, similar to your experience WesternBelle

And because the lids don't come off they cant be washed for recycling, which makes them more difficult on a yacht because where we sail there are more recycling points than rubbish bins. It is always best to keep dirty, unclean rubbish to a minimum otherwise the wasps attack!

And worse still because once the pack is opened they don't stay sterile I cant even save them and hand them on to my pregnant friend due later this year.

So we are gonna give the boat to friends and stay at home instead Maybe a nice UK hotel

WesternBelle Mon 03-Aug-09 23:14:56

That's a shame TurtleAnn. If you did still decide to go it might be worth buying the cheapest & smallest microwave possible (or taking one from home, or try Freecycle?) as then you could use the travel single bottle steriliser here and just take a couple of bottles.

The travel steriliser is tiny and only uses 80ml of water to sterilise. Quick too, at 2.5 mins to sterilise bottle, teat, ring & lid all together.

I use ours all the time and it's great.

WesternBelle Mon 03-Aug-09 23:18:05

PS - why wont bottled water be suitable for sterilising? <puzzled/stupid emoticon>> I know you can't use it for the milk but that's only because of the high mineral content if it is consumed AFAIK, rather than it not being suitable for contact with baby bottles etc.

Also, what water would you be mixing the powder with - could you not use a bit of that for sterilising?

you Tue 04-Aug-09 12:28:48

Ah ha, just came on here to tell you not to bother with the steribottles but seems you've already discovered that grin

Went camping this weekend and had a blooming nighmare with them. DD is 20 weeks old, I took the slow flow bottles and the poor girl was swimming in milk by the end. Howver, if you change your mind (or if anyone needs to try them?) I have about 3 boxes I can send you as they'll just be thrown otherwise.

LIZS Tue 04-Aug-09 12:35:15

I wondered that Westernbelle especilly since op seemed happy enough to make up feeds with it (had previously assumed it was for ready made)

mummyandbaby Tue 04-Aug-09 12:47:35

Have you thought of using the ready to feed cartons? Much more convenient. I use them with steribottles when we are away and it is so easy.

IneedacleanerIamalazyslattern Tue 04-Aug-09 12:55:55

Yeah I had assumed it was for ready made cartons too would make more sense than tryng to make up formula if no reliable water supply.

there are these ones

or this normal advent teats disposable bottles

mummyandbaby Tue 04-Aug-09 13:02:34

A friend used the bibi ones recently and found they were no good. Leaked everywhere. Also expensive £5.99 a pack I think.

TurtleAnn Tue 04-Aug-09 21:08:40

Yep, for Ready Made
We are gonna find a nice UK hotel instead, with baby facilities.

hypebabe1 Thu 06-Aug-09 15:13:43

TurtleAnn, i am not sure why mummyandbaby's friend had a bad experience but when on holiday in June, i found bibi disposable bottles very convenient and there was no leakage whatsover, you can even see its good reviews here: http://www.bizziebaby.co.uk/bizziebabiesproductsmore.asp?ProdID=995

here is a link to them as well: www.bibionlineshop.co.uk/category-13.htmland its £4.99 and not 5.99

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now