Talk

Advanced search

ANYONE BEEN PRESCRIBED HIGH ENERGY/CALORIE FORMULA?

(20 Posts)
Dalrymps Wed 02-Jul-08 09:41:52

Ds is 8mo, been having probs with slow weight gain since 8 weeks. Have seen the paediatrician and the diatician. Both said they don't have any major concerns about him but that he could be a little heavier.
So as a short term measure we've been prescribed this formula, just wondering, has anyone else used this and if so how quickly did you see results?

Elmosgirl Wed 02-Jul-08 09:45:18

No but am watching wit interest am having similar problems with DD2 (nearly 4 months).

Can I ask if your DS eats well? My DD is a happy, lively little girl and always drinks most/all of her feeds and is hungry regulary. But just doesn't seem to gain weight.

She has generally followed the 9th centile but just starting to drop off that and has put on less than a pound in 3 weeks.

sallyforth Wed 02-Jul-08 10:18:34

Was he on normal formula before, or ebf?

Dalrymps Wed 02-Jul-08 11:10:29

Eat reasonably well, a little fussy but mostly has about 18 and a half oz a day plus 3 meals. Has been like this since 8 weeks, last time he'd got weighed had only gained 7oz in 3 weeks, was averaging 6-7oz in 2 weeks before that. Was mix fed till 5 months then on Aptamil till now (8mo).

Dalrymps Wed 02-Jul-08 12:16:52

smile

Dalrymps Wed 02-Jul-08 19:54:13

bump for the evening crowd

bonnibaby Fri 04-Jul-08 10:07:49

Hi,
My son has infatrini high energy formula prescribed.

JustCallMeDaisy Sat 05-Jul-08 08:01:16

Hi
This is my first time on this forum and 2nd time for bresast feeding. My new baby has has growing problems and has used infatrini. We are now using cow&gate nutri prem (although he wasn't premature) to fortify mny breast milk. I express off every feed and add the powder. He is now 5 mths next week.

Before the powders he was losing weight and when we stop them his weight tailors off. With them he is now putting weight on and following the bottom line nicely in the red book (although I now dont personally like the 'red book pressure!') I am happy with this as he does have other complications (genetics we believe) but we are so happy to keep with b/milk and fortifier until our referral appointments come through.

Good Luck to you
JustCallmeDaisy!

Piffle Sat 05-Jul-08 08:05:49

I was offered high cal formula with dd but refused as she had heart condition which meant breastfeeding was easier.
we were given calorie supps maxijoule etc to add to ebm
they didn't work so paed said, she's happy quite healthy let's ignore the weight as long as those things are fine.
5.5 yes old she is now bf til 16 mths
never looked back was best thing doctor ever said to me, but was what I felt also
she is in proportion, petite for her age ( she has genetic condition called noonan syndrome which inhibits growth slightly)
she eats very well though
please if your baby is feeding well and otherwise healthy try notvto worry about weight alone x x x x

JustCallMeDaisy Sat 05-Jul-08 08:11:41

Yes I agree, try not to worry about weight gain if your baby is otherwise healthy. My red book is full of weight measurements for the first 3 months! Completely unecessary now and all it did was make me sick with worry when had a poor weight gain week!

JustCallMeDaisy x

Dalrymps Mon 07-Jul-08 10:39:14

It's not me thats mainly worried, it's my hv, she reffered me to the paediatric doc and diatician, the doc said he was fine and the diatician said he could do with being about 2lb heavier so his weight matches his length. I would like him to just have a bit of 'back up fat' anyway in case he came down with a stomach bug or something. So really just wondering how quickly it'll work with it just being a short term thing.

JustCallMeDaisy Tue 08-Jul-08 07:22:54

Our high cal stuff worked straight away really. Didn't put massive weight on at each weigh but at least he is going up steadily to follow the bottom line in red book.

But just remember everyone is different!

JustCallMeDaisy

Dalrymps Tue 08-Jul-08 07:46:03

Thanks for the onfo JustCallMeDaisy, am picking up his milk from the chemist today so will see how it goes smile

BeachBunni Tue 08-Jul-08 09:44:27

My lo was put on cow and gate nutriprem 2 as he was born under the 0.4th centile. He was put on it at 4 wks old when my milk stopped (but was really a new born corrected).
In 6 wks he was on the 9th centile, 11 wks the 25th and 26wks above the 50th.
It's worked for us but might just be that he's a greedy wee bugger.

Dalrymps Wed 09-Jul-08 14:17:34

cool, thanks for the info, will see how it goes then i guess smile

Woooozle100 Wed 09-Jul-08 23:18:54

Hi Dal (I remember you from an / pn threads. I'm v rubbish infrequent poster )

My dd was prescribed infatrini high calorie formula. It did work re weight gain (her paed started to worry then she was getting too fat - pff) There were some issues with constipation. However she was a lot younger and has v low muscle tone which prolly had as much to do with it.

Best of luck - any questions give us a shout

Dalrymps Thu 10-Jul-08 00:07:54

Hi ejb1976! yeah, i'm a bit worried about constipation as when he tried normal SMA he was a bit that way, will just have to keep an eye on him, maybe the food he eats will help things along though?

rootie2 Thu 10-Jul-08 12:53:16

hi
my 8 month old has infatrini beacuse of his poor appetita caused by a growth in his abdomen. this has enabled him to stop dropping centiles and continue along one and even start to rise! my question though is can it cause constipation or excesive thirst. he seems very unsettled on it and very thirsty. we also put it in his food along with olive oil, butter, cream and fromage frais etc on the advice of the paed/dietician

JustCallMeDaisy Thu 10-Jul-08 14:36:26

Hi

I have noticed my little one keeps beong constipated with high cal formulas. Average 4 days!

Nutrician not too worried though as otherwise well

JustCallMeDaisy x

Woooozle100 Thu 10-Jul-08 22:25:41

A little bran and dried fruit stuff should help (we still mix it with her breakfast now) Maybe make up a mish mash of simmered figs, prunes and apricots to freeze. Can pop in yr feeder thing when needed (ooh am loving that btw - what a fab invention )

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now