Talk

Advanced search

Portion sizes for 6 month old

(10 Posts)
Cuppaqueen Wed 18-Oct-17 15:47:33

Help! I have no idea if I'm getting the balance right with DS aged 6.5 months. He was EBF from birth but started on solids about 4 weeks ago after I despaired of being back to 2 hourly (or less!) feeds. He took to food immediately and eagerly and has been having 3 meals a day since he turned 6 months. However he still wants 5-7 BF a day and even at night! Am I giving him enough food?

Here's what he had today for example:
7am BF
8am breakfast - half adult portion of porridge made with half milk, half water and 1tbsp homemade apple purée
9am BF to sleep (he wouldn't go down without it, possibly teething - I usually give this feed on waking though)
11.15am lunch - 3tbsp chicken casserole purée with chopped up green beans; then half a mashed banana
12.15 & 12.45 BF in attempts to get him to sleep - but he usually wants a feed before his nap regardless of if he goes down awake
3pm BF - more of a snack
4.15pm BF before a quick nap
5.15pm dinner - 3tbsp pumpkin purée with chicken, then half a mashed banana with peach purée (he ate the lot)
6.45pm BF
10.30pm I'm BF him now! He woke as we came to bed. And last night he wanted another feed at 3am - wouldn't settle with patting or rocking as usual.

This just seems a lot to me! Am I not giving him enough solids? Should I cut down the BFs (but he seems hungry, never refuses?) He's a big boy, 85th percentile for weight and over 99th for height, but even so ... help! All I do is feed him at the moment shock

teaandbiscuitsforme Wed 18-Oct-17 18:10:01

Early weaning is like that unfortunately! You seem to spend all day feeding them one way or another.

I’m not sure about portion sizes (BLW with my two) but my DS is now 9mo and BF fairly regularly. I don’t really count but probably 4 or 5 during the day and then overnight all night. I’ve never really counted how many times he feeds though because I always work on the basis that I don’t know why he’s feeding (hunger, thirst, comfort, pain) so I tend to go with it. I’ll probably start to be a bit routined about it from about 12mo (probably just feeding to sleep for naps and bed so still a good few BF!)

It does get easier though and the constant preparing food and feeding seems to slow down!

MrsHathaway Wed 18-Oct-17 18:32:47

Don't cut down the bf.

His stomach is roughly the size of his loosely clenched fist. That's a useful visual to see if you're offering a suitable portion.

Be happy to stop when he loses interest, and don't worry about offering a "pudding" necessarily. It sounds like you're doing brilliantly.

furryelephant Wed 18-Oct-17 20:23:15

It’s absolutely normal and most recommend that milk is the main source of nutrition until 1. DD is breastfed and has 12-15 a day still hmmsome days she eats loads of solids, others she won’t touch if. She’s 11 months confusedid just let baby decide what and how much they want at this stage to be honest!

Nottalotta Wed 18-Oct-17 21:45:18

As above but would add that I would make porridge with whole milk or breastfeeding milk (not sure why you'd do it half water? No calories in water ) and remember that there are few calories in fruit and veg. As she eats more carbs and protein she may need less milk, but milk should be her main source of nutrition at this age anyway.

Cuppaqueen Thu 19-Oct-17 00:06:40

Thanks all, that's very reassuring! All the stuff I've read on weaning doesn't have much to say about portions or the impact on BF.

@furryelephant I guess he probably won't slow down with the BF anytime soon then!!

@Nottalotta He's only just started having dairy so I was trying to just give a little cows milk in the porridge to see how he goes. Seems ok so far so will gradually move to all milk. (Where I live, they follow US guidance on weaning which seems to be no dairy or eggs till 8 months, so I'm being cautious!)

furryelephant Thu 19-Oct-17 01:42:23

He may do! At one point DD was feeding over 20 times in 24 hr, so we’re getting there grinsome babies by now are only feeding 1-4 times a day, there’s a whole range of normal smile

Orangebird69 Thu 19-Oct-17 01:48:08

Don't cut down on bf - it should still be his main source of nutrition until he's 1 - it contains everything he needs - most dinners won't. His bfing frequency sounds totally normal for an ebf baby, even in the nght. Carry on as you are.

Cuppaqueen Thu 19-Oct-17 05:36:27

I reckon he's getting more calories than me at the moment! He's definitely eating healthier ... grin

highinthesky Thu 19-Oct-17 05:52:02

I’m impressed you’re getting so much down him! 2 yo DD eats about the same, but she still drinks a lot of milk. It’s difficult not to give in when she asks, as she’s never going to ask for actual food.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now