Talk

Advanced search

High Powered Breast Pumps Anyone?

(13 Posts)
shepster Sun 05-Jun-11 21:16:57

Hi all. I'm mixed feeding and want to boost my milk production with some regular expressing. I have friends in the U.S. who suggest I buy a 'high-power' breast pump to get the most out of the session. I'm not really sure what to look for to find such a creature. Any suggestions on electric breast pumps for maximum yield?

Thanks!

izzybizzybuzzybees Sun 05-Jun-11 21:19:51

Hi,
I used this one
www.amazon.co.uk/Spectra-3-Electric-Breast-Pump/dp/B000UTUFP6/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=baby&qid=1307305104&sr=8-1

It was very efficient and quick and easy to use, i loved it. It has great reviews also.

japhrimel Sun 05-Jun-11 21:49:29

I found the Ameda Lactaline double great.

Cosmosis Mon 06-Jun-11 10:52:43

I second the ameda lacteline, it’s brilliant. I got mine from Ebay there always seem to be some for sale on there.

shepster Mon 06-Jun-11 11:54:22

Thanks for those suggestions. They both look great (great reviews for the Spectra on Amazon.) Just wonder if any of you noticed a considerable increase in milk yield when using either the Spectra or Ameda? I guess I'm asking if you were able to compare it to any others.

Thanks again.

Cosmosis Mon 06-Jun-11 12:07:08

I went from getting 2-3oz per boob with the TT electric, to around 4-5oz with the Ameda, and obviously it’s double so much less time consuming.

japhrimel Mon 06-Jun-11 21:49:51

Yep, I went from struggling to maintain my supply with a single Medela Swing to getting it right up to what DD needed (she was on bottles, then top-ups after a SCBU start) - and in less pumping time too. If I hadn't been able to borrow a Lactaline, my bfing experience would probably have been short-lived.

chipmonkey Mon 06-Jun-11 23:08:33

Double pumping is supposed to boost milk supply better than single pumping and of course only takes half the time.

I have the Avent Isis IQ duo which is brilliant but tbh I have seen such good reviews of the lactaline on here that if the Avent gives up the ghost, I would probably replace it with the lactaline.

A friend has the Medela Mini Electric Plus which she finds fab although it theoretically isn't as good as the Medela Pump in Style, but I have heard that Medela pumps can end up with milk backed up in the tubing which can't happen with either the lactaline or the Avent duo.

( I do have a life, honest!grin)

PenguinArmy Mon 06-Jun-11 23:54:39

I think having a double hospital grade is really what you need. Which one is best is more personal.

I rented one as only needed it for 6 months, it was a medela lactina which was so much easier than a single pump I'd ever used. Double pumping is much more effective and also it was really quiet. I think these are quite universal features and to rent in the UK about 30-45 pounds a month

shepster Tue 07-Jun-11 08:58:12

Any idea where to rent these beasts? From the local hospital, I guess?

Cosmosis Tue 07-Jun-11 09:01:05

I think the NCT rent them out as well.

libelulle Tue 07-Jun-11 09:13:30

Medela symphony is best double hospital grade imo, and I tried a couple. Did exclusive expressing for 10 weeks while ds was in NICU, building up my supply from scratch at 26 weeks, and I ended up with more supply than ds could consume by a very very long shot. You can hire them for c50 quid a month from www.expressyourselfmums.co.uk - cost is over 1000 quid to buy so hiring really the only option unless you have seriously deep pockets!

libelulle Tue 07-Jun-11 09:15:52

Don't think local hospital are likely to be able to help incidentally as there are rarely enough pumps available even for mothers with a baby in special care.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: