Talk

Advanced search

High Powered Breast Pumps Anyone?

(13 Posts)
shepster Sun 05-Jun-11 21:16:57

Hi all. I'm mixed feeding and want to boost my milk production with some regular expressing. I have friends in the U.S. who suggest I buy a 'high-power' breast pump to get the most out of the session. I'm not really sure what to look for to find such a creature. Any suggestions on electric breast pumps for maximum yield?

Thanks!

izzybizzybuzzybees Sun 05-Jun-11 21:19:51

Hi,
I used this one
www.amazon.co.uk/Spectra-3-Electric-Breast-Pump/dp/B000UTUFP6/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=baby&qid=1307305104&sr=8-1

It was very efficient and quick and easy to use, i loved it. It has great reviews also.

japhrimel Sun 05-Jun-11 21:49:29

I found the Ameda Lactaline double great.

Cosmosis Mon 06-Jun-11 10:52:43

I second the ameda lacteline, it’s brilliant. I got mine from Ebay there always seem to be some for sale on there.

shepster Mon 06-Jun-11 11:54:22

Thanks for those suggestions. They both look great (great reviews for the Spectra on Amazon.) Just wonder if any of you noticed a considerable increase in milk yield when using either the Spectra or Ameda? I guess I'm asking if you were able to compare it to any others.

Thanks again.

Cosmosis Mon 06-Jun-11 12:07:08

I went from getting 2-3oz per boob with the TT electric, to around 4-5oz with the Ameda, and obviously it’s double so much less time consuming.

japhrimel Mon 06-Jun-11 21:49:51

Yep, I went from struggling to maintain my supply with a single Medela Swing to getting it right up to what DD needed (she was on bottles, then top-ups after a SCBU start) - and in less pumping time too. If I hadn't been able to borrow a Lactaline, my bfing experience would probably have been short-lived.

chipmonkey Mon 06-Jun-11 23:08:33

Double pumping is supposed to boost milk supply better than single pumping and of course only takes half the time.

I have the Avent Isis IQ duo which is brilliant but tbh I have seen such good reviews of the lactaline on here that if the Avent gives up the ghost, I would probably replace it with the lactaline.

A friend has the Medela Mini Electric Plus which she finds fab although it theoretically isn't as good as the Medela Pump in Style, but I have heard that Medela pumps can end up with milk backed up in the tubing which can't happen with either the lactaline or the Avent duo.

( I do have a life, honest!grin)

PenguinArmy Mon 06-Jun-11 23:54:39

I think having a double hospital grade is really what you need. Which one is best is more personal.

I rented one as only needed it for 6 months, it was a medela lactina which was so much easier than a single pump I'd ever used. Double pumping is much more effective and also it was really quiet. I think these are quite universal features and to rent in the UK about 30-45 pounds a month

shepster Tue 07-Jun-11 08:58:12

Any idea where to rent these beasts? From the local hospital, I guess?

Cosmosis Tue 07-Jun-11 09:01:05

I think the NCT rent them out as well.

libelulle Tue 07-Jun-11 09:13:30

Medela symphony is best double hospital grade imo, and I tried a couple. Did exclusive expressing for 10 weeks while ds was in NICU, building up my supply from scratch at 26 weeks, and I ended up with more supply than ds could consume by a very very long shot. You can hire them for c50 quid a month from www.expressyourselfmums.co.uk - cost is over 1000 quid to buy so hiring really the only option unless you have seriously deep pockets!

libelulle Tue 07-Jun-11 09:15:52

Don't think local hospital are likely to be able to help incidentally as there are rarely enough pumps available even for mothers with a baby in special care.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now