Talk

Advanced search

does this sound like overstimulation of my 6mo?

(5 Posts)
reastie Fri 09-Sep-11 18:47:24

MIL babysat DD for first time this morning. MIL is very OTT with playtime and I have struggled in the past with her not seeing to realise when dd is tired.

Since this morning dd has been so whiney it's unbelievable. I put it initially down to potential teething but on closer inspection she doesn't really show many actual symptoms. she has seemed more tired than usual this afternoon but struggled to get to sleep, she has made growling noises alot and generally been more clingy than usual and screamed more when usually a whine would suffice.

MIL made some comment to me about how she had exhausted dd with all the games they played this morning and I'm really wondering if dd is just voer stimulated and it was too much for her. Is 6mo too old to be over stimulated and if not does this sound like it? (MIL went home and midday so this is now 7 hrs later we are still dealing with it).

FWIW dd was OK when visiting my gran this afternoon - managed some smiley and quiet time with my nan but at home before and after the trip has been a complete nightmare.

Any advice please as tis pfb grin

ILovePonyo Fri 09-Sep-11 19:14:34

Bumping reastie, the only example I have is when dd has been v stimulated she's been knackered and fallen asleep straight after - recent trip to sealife centre a good example of this.
Have you left her on her won, on her mat or something? Sometimes dd just wants to be left alone grin
Hope she settles soon.

Emski76 Fri 09-Sep-11 19:21:10

Hey R. I have found that when ds2, also 6 months, has been at in laws fir the day he is really wired. Was exhausted when came hone last time but couldn't calm himself down.
Might be worth a word in mil ear about quiet time. Just say you always make sure dd has quiet time everyday and suggest they look at a book together, or play quietly with some toys.

Octaviapink Fri 09-Sep-11 19:35:49

Yes, this sounds EXACTLY like what my MIL does to my DD. She's 2 now but every single time we've ever seen them, MIL can't leave DD alone. The last time she visited, DD (who had suffered overattention all day) had to run around screaming for an hour and a half to wind herself down. Tell your MIL not to try and exhaust her - six months is definitely not too old to be overstimulated. MIL needs to find something for herself to do - it's unreasonable to expect a 6mo to entertain her for the morning! She needs to let DD entertain herself for a bit and also to recognise when she needs a nap - presumably at 6m she's still having a morning nap

reastie Fri 09-Sep-11 21:17:54

thanks guys

ponyo she screams if she sees me edging towards the door so I don't think she wants quiet time alone hmm

ems if it happens again I will try to courage myself to mention something

octavia shock at running screaming for so long. do you see pil often? have you mentioned it to them? (just hunting for help). she did have a nap under mils care but even so maybe the play was too much (??). just feel I'm not sure if I'm being a bit pfb about it

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now