Talk

Advanced search

I hate my friend's choice of name. Do I tell her?

(112 Posts)
mollpop Sun 30-Jun-19 21:54:06

Ok. I have a friend who has recently given birth to a beautiful baby boy. She's thinking of calling him Miller and asked me what I think. Do I tell her (in a tactful way)? FWIW I think it's a dreadful name.

diddlediddle Sun 30-Jun-19 21:55:02

Definitely not

HermioneMakepeace Sun 30-Jun-19 21:55:11

I really like. What name would you choose for her DS?

Hoovermanoeuver Sun 30-Jun-19 21:55:29

No. Not your baby or your reason.

londonmarathonhalfwaypoint Sun 30-Jun-19 21:55:35

Of course not

JillandEvelyn Sun 30-Jun-19 21:55:43

Yeah be honest! Unless she has a specific/sentimental reason for the name! My friend hated the name Matilda, but I still went for it, only her opinion!! Xx

BunnyJumps Sun 30-Jun-19 21:55:49

Not your business what they call their baby.

SpuriouserAndSpuriouser Sun 30-Jun-19 21:55:58

Nope. The only correct answer is to that question is “how lovely!”

Unless she wants to call her child Satan or something, stay out of it.

Ohyesiam Sun 30-Jun-19 21:56:46

As she’s asked, yes tell her.

SleepingStandingUp Sun 30-Jun-19 21:57:07

I think "oh that's different" or"well it wouldn't be my choice " is about the limit of you don't want to piss her off.

TrendyNorthLondonTeen Sun 30-Jun-19 21:57:09

What's it got to do with you?

Timeless19 Sun 30-Jun-19 21:57:20

Is their last name Harris? If not I probably wouldn’t say anything.

CastleGin Sun 30-Jun-19 21:57:26

So as she's asked, I would be honest. Unless it's too late and it's on the birth certificate wink

isabellerossignol Sun 30-Jun-19 21:58:11

No, don't do it. Smile and say nothing.

I have a good friend whose choice of name was so terrible (in my opinion) that I was horrified. I bit my tongue, we're still friends and whilst I wouldn't say the name grew on me, I just don't give it a second thought. If I had told her I thought it was horrible it would almost certainly have damaged our friendship.

CastleGin Sun 30-Jun-19 21:58:14

What's it got to do with you?

Her friend asked her opinion

UnboxingSoon Sun 30-Jun-19 21:58:42

Yeh, I agree, say nothing. It's just 'not to your taste'. It's not actually THAT bad. It wouldn't be my choice either but I've heard worse.

That actress Faye Ripley called her daughter Parker. So ugly. Miller for a boy is not that bad in comparison.

EmperorBallpitine Sun 30-Jun-19 21:59:42

Even if she has asked, you don't have to be truthful to the point of meanness. You could say 'why do you want my opinion, aren't you sure about it?' Or just give a random opinion like 'I always go for more old fashioned names, why did you choose Miller?'. If you don't want to outright lie.

mollpop Sun 30-Jun-19 22:00:22

I know it's none of my business. If she hadn't asked if have just said "oh, that's lovely,". But she has asked and it's not even a name. Well it's a surname but not a first name. Am I alone in thinking is a dreadful name?

Krisskrosskiss Sun 30-Jun-19 22:00:47

No of course dont tell her! What good will that do? If she loves the name she will still use it but forever know you hate it which might make her sad.
Your friend naming her baby is not about you or your feelings. Tell her the name is nice and then move the conversation along. Dont be a dickhead.

Justmuddlingalong Sun 30-Jun-19 22:02:06

She's asking you what you think, but not really asking what you think. Leave her to choose her child's name and say you like it.

CrazyOldBagLady Sun 30-Jun-19 22:03:05

I don't like surnames for first names but if she has already given birth and named the baby it would be pretty mean to tell her you think it's a bad name.

mollpop Sun 30-Jun-19 22:04:20

Krisskrosskriss you're probably right. When she told me what name she was thinking of I actually laughed, which I feel dreadful about. It's so horrible I thought she was joking.

KennDodd Sun 30-Jun-19 22:08:44

No, unless you have good reason, for example the name is an offensive word in another language.

Awwlookatmybabyspider Sun 30-Jun-19 22:11:05

Well seeing as she's asked you what you think. She's made it your business.
Therefore YANBU to tell her you don't like it. However be sure to tell her that your opinion shouldn't influence her choice.

keepingbees Sun 30-Jun-19 22:11:08

You don't have to lie but be tactful. Just say you wouldn't use it personally but if she loves it then go for it.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »