Talk

Advanced search

Changing 12 month olds name

(54 Posts)
Rivan424 Tue 16-Apr-19 06:36:25

Here's the thing, I had a name picked out for my son that I had always planned to call him. After giving birth, I found out no one in my family approved of the name and in a horrid mixture of pregnancy hormones and anxiety, I instead chose a random name that the doctor suggested. I am a single mother with no father figure in my child's life, so probably cared far too much about the opinions of my family members.

I have regretted this decision ever since and hate telling people his current name. I've decide after much heart ache and soul searching to change his name to what I truly wanted to call him, the name I feel suits him better than his current name. The only thing is that because he's at the 12 month mark, if I change his name now it will forever show on his birth certificate and I will have to explain to him as an adult how I misnamed him as a child.

Has anyone else been through this and has it affected their child later in life to have a different name the birth cert and the actual name a post script at the bottom?

Toooldtocareanymore Tue 16-Apr-19 10:36:13

just do it, and explain to him later you preferred x name had always called him x name since he was little, it suited him better, it was special to him,, (- kids love it when their names are special) so made sense to properly change it, my son was at a crèche with a little boy called Sasha, started school he was teased about girls name , even though it isn't, so parents changed it to Alexander, he was 6 or 7, they called him Alexi- which is what teachers now call him, which is what they had pretty well always called him, as they view Sasha and Alex as interchangeable ( mum was Russian) , anyway we hadn't seen him for a few years my son saw him on bus said hi Sasha and the little boy just said hi X its Alexi now to my good friends, and my son said can I call you Alexi and was thrilled when told yes.

Namechangedcositstime Tue 16-Apr-19 10:40:50

I would just do it. He really won't care beyond an amusing story when he is older.

Rivan424 Tue 16-Apr-19 12:02:24

The original name is Ezra, as suggested by the doctor. Not a terrible name and most people really like it... it's just not something I would have ever picked. There is also the issue of my son being bi-racial and the famous poet, Ezra Pound, was basically a Nazi - not really appropriate.

The name I want to change it to is Jarrah. An Australian name that refers to a type of eucalyptus tree and means "tall and strong" in the local aboriginal language. Not everyone likes it, but it has special meaning to me. - I'm a wildlife conservationist and rehabilitator, so my baby was really only ever going to have a nature name. flowers smile

BlueMerchant Tue 16-Apr-19 12:07:55

Change it. They aren't too different sounding really but it means a lot to you so go for it.
I really like Jarrah- it's unique and a lovely meaning.

NottonightJosepheen Tue 16-Apr-19 12:08:16

Jarrah is beautiful and was picked with love and has a special meaning for your son and you.

What an auspicious and lovely name, it would be such a shame not to use it. flowers

FogCutter Tue 16-Apr-19 12:08:16

Just change it if it's going to make you unhappy to keep the name Ezra.

Cbeebiesrehab Tue 16-Apr-19 12:35:13

Both beautiful names. Change your son’s name to Jarrah so you can move on-he honestly will not mind a jot when he’s older and it will probably make for a funny story.
Enjoy your lovely baby boyflowers

MissHenty Tue 16-Apr-19 12:37:59

Change it. This really is not a big deal whatsoever. In a few years you’ll wonder why you worried.
I think your son will find it a funny story when he’s older. If he loves Ezra he can always change it back. Maybe keep Ezra as his middle name as it makes for an interesting story and doesn’t try and hide his original name. No big deal at all.

ImHastingsDarling Tue 16-Apr-19 12:41:06

Yes lovely name, go for it!

MikeUniformMike Tue 16-Apr-19 14:15:00

Change it now. Much easier than worrying about it.

NutMeghan Tue 16-Apr-19 14:19:46

Change it. Jarrah is a lovely name. Can you shift Ezra into a middle name?

Confusedbeetle Tue 16-Apr-19 14:25:09

Change it by all means. My mother just called me the new name at 6 mths but never had the birth cert changed. I only found out when I was 18. Made no difference to me except when I first worked and the Tax dept was confused. All my adult papers have my new name, passport driving licence bank account, marriage cert. If you can change the birt cert just do it. Friends and family will get used to it and your child won't care. The name will be his

timetogetgoing Tue 16-Apr-19 14:32:23

Jarrah is really lovely and even more so if it has special meaning for you. Your son will love that you feel that way about his name as he grows up. It's also an unusual name in a good way 👍🏻

Rafabella8 Tue 16-Apr-19 14:43:17

Change it. Absolutely no biggie. I suspect you have been calling him Jarrah (which is beautiful by the way) whenever it's just the two of you. It is similar phonetically, but different enough to make a difference to you. Get the paperwork in order and look after it. Simple. Your son will completely respect your explanation when he is older and will feel honoured to have such an environmentally focused mum! Don't ever live your life or raise your son to anyone else's tune but your own. 🙏

notharryssally Tue 16-Apr-19 14:50:21

Surely he already knows his name? I'd be more worried about that then having to explain your mistake as an adult.

notharryssally Tue 16-Apr-19 14:51:24

Sorry just RTFT. If you already use his new name then go for it. In fact you kind of have to now 🤷🏼‍♀️

3in4years Tue 16-Apr-19 20:25:10

Jarrah is a great name!

autumnkate Tue 16-Apr-19 20:26:42

I really dislike Ezra so you have my vote!

MikeUniformMike Tue 16-Apr-19 20:30:20

I don't like Ezra. Jarrah is much nicer.

Exhausted18 Tue 16-Apr-19 20:52:44

Jarrah means "one who wounds" in Arabic and will have an association with Isis for some people, particularly now as Shemima Begum has been in the news and both her sons were called that. Unlikely to be remembered when your son is older but I can totally understand why your family would try putting you off it. I would find a different name if you really hate Ezra, but that's just my opinion.

Bellatrix14 Tue 16-Apr-19 21:02:45

Teachers are meant to be educated lol

Teachers are educated, they just have enough to cope with and enough names to remember without trying to keep track of every ‘unusual’ spelling of names that people have picked for their children. If it was a repeated thing I’d have more sympathy, but you can’t blame them for automatically going for the regular spelling of a name hmm

Sorry to derail the thread OP, but as someone who frequently gets teenagers rolling their eyes at me when I mispronounce or forget how to spell their names (which I appreciate is probably very frustrating for them!) that really irked me... and I’m not even a teacher! I think both are nice names, but I would make a decision as soon as you can smile

MercyBodle Wed 17-Apr-19 02:26:27

Having heard the names, and more about your thinking behind them, I say absolutely change it.

Tavannach Wed 17-Apr-19 02:39:59

Change it, and use Ezra as a mn. If he wants to change it when he's older that's up to him.

darkparadise1 Wed 17-Apr-19 02:47:38

I love jarrah! Such a lovely name. Go for it - it is meaningful to you and I'm sure you won't regret it.

Topseyt Wed 17-Apr-19 03:15:11

Jarrah is lovely. Change it. You say you have already been using it and other nicknames for a while now.

Formalise it. You will be happier and more comfortable, and your DS won't care.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »