Talk

Advanced search

Irish/hindu girl's names

(19 Posts)
NiamhieNoo Fri 02-Sep-11 13:46:28

Hi all
I'm looking for some ideas please!
We've just found out we're expecting our second little girl and couldn't be happier. Obviously the name debate has reared its ugly head.
I'm Irish and my Husband is Indian (Hindu tradition) and we'd like to go with a name that has some meaning in both languages. Tara is the only name I've seen yet, but as our surname starts with the letter A, it might be a little too vowel-y.
Any suggestions would be appreciated.

somewherewest Fri 02-Sep-11 14:14:18

I wonder if it would be worth having a chat with the Hindu Cultural Centre Ireland (www.hindu.ie), as they might have some advice on this?

TangerineQueen Fri 02-Sep-11 20:05:07

Ooh that's an ace suggestion from somewherewest! Much better than mine's about to be!

I can't think of any one name off the top of my head, but what about an Irish and an Indian name with similar meanings. E.g. Tejal Aine or Niamh Sohalia if your theme was light/radiance/glowing etc.

sorchatallulah Fri 02-Sep-11 21:19:45

Another one for "light" is Sorcha, which is my own name (in case you couldn't guess!) and seems to be having somewhat of a revival! Might be hard to get the pronunciation right when it comes to the Hindu side of the family though...

NL3 Fri 02-Sep-11 21:39:16

Dhara is a Hindu name meaning constant flow. It is also an Irish name spelled Dara.

sorchatallulah Sat 03-Sep-11 02:06:48

In Irish it relates to either fertility or oak :D I've never actually met a female Dara myself though, not one using it as an Irish name anyway!

AlfalfaMum Sat 03-Sep-11 02:10:58

I met a female Dara recently (Dublin), it works nicely for her.

patindahat Sat 03-Sep-11 14:55:40

Dymphna?

sqweegiebeckenheim Sun 04-Sep-11 23:54:53

there was a girl Dara in one of Maeve Binchy's books.

Bandwithering Sun 04-Sep-11 23:59:46

I used to work with a female Dara. And at the time she was going out with a French man called Jean.

Floggingmolly Mon 05-Sep-11 00:03:32

How about Regan? It's unisex, actually, and means ruler.

hester Mon 05-Sep-11 00:21:02

But Dara has the same A problem as Tara, doesn't it?

I love Tara smile

mathanxiety Mon 05-Sep-11 05:47:58

Síle / Sheela - 'cool'
Nuala / Anula - 'gentle
Åine / Anya - 'inexhaustible'
Arún / Aruna - 'dawn' (Arún is made up, meaning something like Alannah, an expression of fondness)
Aislinn / Asha 'hope' or Ashna - 'friend'
Eily / Eila 'earth' or Iyla - 'moonlight'
Eithne / Eshna - 'search'
Ina / Ina - 'mother'
Caoimhe / Keva - 'lotus'
Lena / Leena - 'devoted'
Mella / Mala - 'garland'
Máire / Mayra - 'beloved'
Meghan / Meghana - 'cloud'
Naoise / Naisha - 'special' (though I consider Naoise a boy's name)
Neela - 'blue' has an Irishy sound, a bit like Nuala, a bit like Niall
Nina - 'lovely eyed' (not Irish but nice)
Ríona / Rina - 'dissolved'
Roma / Roma
Ruth / Ruth - 'season'
Sadhbh / Sadhvi 'virtuous woman'
Síofra / Shipra - 'river'
Siobhán / Shivanne - 'goddess Parvati' or Shobhana - 'splendid'

hester Mon 05-Sep-11 08:15:53

Very impressed with mathanxiety's suggestions (and research)!

I particularly like Roma, Maire/Mayra and Siofra/Shipra

Bandwithering Mon 05-Sep-11 17:07:22

Wow Mathanxiety! shock that is an amazing list. I don't think the OP is going to come accross a list of what she is looking for that any where on line or in any book!

mathanxiety Mon 05-Sep-11 18:31:57

Oh the things you can do when you're sitting up waiting for your DD to get back from a party...

Bandwithering Sat 10-Sep-11 13:31:31

She was partying on a monday night! wow. I assume she's back by now. And getting ready for another party.

NiamhieNoo Wed 14-Sep-11 14:52:33

Wow- thank you all for your suggestions. I'm overwhelmed by your contributions (especially Mathanxiety...you've taken a lot of the leg work out of our decision!).
Somewherewest, that is fantastic idea about the Hindu centre and I think I'll be doing just that.

MelinaM Wed 14-Sep-11 14:56:46

Tara is lovely, could you not break it up with a longer middle name?

There are some lovely names on the list above! Love Eily / Eila and Lena / Lenna!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now