Talk

Advanced search

In thinking that this FREE HUGS campaign is dangerous

(28 Posts)
BingeDrinkerPro Mon 26-Oct-09 16:58:07

Last weekend my DH went to a convention in London and was shocked at the amount of young teenage girls walking around with boards saying FREE HUGS, The amount of strangers that the girls were running up to and hugging shocked him and he has'nt stopped ranting about it since? One poor girl aged about 13 got a hug from a much older man who even lifted up her skirt. Its not the campaign itself we are against but the fact that we feel its dangerous for young girls who are dressed very provacatively to take part without supervision.

SimonHowl Mon 26-Oct-09 16:58:54

the dressing issue aside.
they are prob over 16 promo girls

LetThereBeRock Mon 26-Oct-09 17:00:36

Well it's certainly dangerous for anyone who attempts to hug me.

Jamieandhismagictorch Mon 26-Oct-09 17:01:19

I'm sorry, I don't know what you are talking about. Is it to do with Kleenex tissues ?

MaryMotherOfHellFire Mon 26-Oct-09 17:02:27

what campaign?

dittany Mon 26-Oct-09 17:03:58

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

serenity Mon 26-Oct-09 17:07:35

He went to the London Expo didn't he? It wasn't just girls it was boys too, and it was only those that were cosplaying (so I presume it was something to do with that)

It was all rather sweet actually, but I have to say I didn't see anyone abusing it.

MaryMotherOfHellFire Mon 26-Oct-09 17:09:05

Cosplaying???

Now I'm even more confused.

serenity Mon 26-Oct-09 17:14:33

Cosplaying - grown up fancy dress grin Basically you dress up as your favourite character, but the term originated from people dressing as Manga/anime characters, and I think people tend to roleplay as well.
About 70% of the people there were dressed up (there was a sub-convention within the Expo for cosplayers) DCs want to dress up when we go next year!

This is a free hugs campaign, I wonder if it's too do with that?

BingeDrinkerPro Mon 26-Oct-09 17:14:43

Yes it was the London Expo and was mainly the Cosplay kids but the girls were definately not over 16 or promo girls and there seemed to be no adult supervision.

stuffitllllama Mon 26-Oct-09 17:16:25

yuk how revolting

have no idea if it's dangerous but it's definitely revolting and if you saw it being abused then yanbu

serenity Mon 26-Oct-09 17:17:11

Lots of the girls were dressed as characters from Sailor Moon which are rather short.

fairycake123 Mon 26-Oct-09 17:22:14

I don't think it's dangerous, I just think it's irredeemably naff.

serenity Mon 26-Oct-09 17:23:09

Anyway, based on being at the event the OP's other half was at for the entire day I'm going to say YABU. I didn't see a single hug that was anything other than that. Most of the hugging was going on between the teen cosplayers anyway.

colditz Mon 26-Oct-09 17:23:26

they will not be 13.

They will be at least 18 for insurance purposes.

BingeDrinkerPro Mon 26-Oct-09 17:24:50

He does'nt mind the cosplay and says some of the costumes were really good its just the hugging of strangers he's concerned about?

serenity Mon 26-Oct-09 17:32:40

If it was free kisses, or sex I would be agreeing with you, but it was just a hug. I'll admit I was rather bemused by it all, but more because I didn't know what the story was behind it than because I thought there was anything inherently wrong with it (tbh it would have been the sort of thing I'd have done at an event when I was 14/15/16)

Morloth Mon 26-Oct-09 17:33:52

LOL at cosplayers, were there furries?

serenity Mon 26-Oct-09 17:35:02

One or two grin

Goblinchild Mon 26-Oct-09 17:37:49

My daughter and her mates were there, all over 18 and in costume and had a wonderful time. Just like the last two times she's been, and will go again in May.

Free hugs was one of the highlights. They were supervised by each other and stayed in a group. Just like going out to the pub, strength in unity and a swift kick for inappropriate prats.

Goblinchild Mon 26-Oct-09 17:39:22

Why was your OH at the convention OP?

BingeDrinkerPro Mon 26-Oct-09 17:41:22

Computer games and works in comic industry.

Morloth Mon 26-Oct-09 17:44:20

Hah, as long as they were not baby furs.

Damned youngsters, in MY day we were a bunch of dangerous (we thought) goths.

serenity Mon 26-Oct-09 17:49:24

Ditto Morloth. They made me feel all maternal and ancient. I wanted to hug them all even without the signs.

Goblinchild Mon 26-Oct-09 17:49:33

Perhaps he could work on a campaign to make comic books and computergames less sexist in their depictions of the female form, and then the costumes will be more seemly?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now