Talk

Advanced search

To have thought I could use either name

(108 Posts)
sickandtiredofsick Sun 26-Jan-20 22:26:36

I’m married but I thought I could use either my married or maiden name ?
I didn’t realise I had to use one or the other and now apparently my contents insurance isn’t valid ? I had no idea I thought it was fine to use either and had take then policy out about 4 years before getting married
Feel so stupid now

sickandtiredofsick Sun 26-Jan-20 22:27:09

Oh and I didn’t mean to enable voting sorry it’s not really vote worthy

Rhodadendra Sun 26-Jan-20 22:31:12

What is your legal name? Your name doesn’t change automatically upon marriage in this country. Did you change it?

If you want to use your married name, you have to change your name officially, and then use that name on any insurance policy/legal document etc. (Though obviously you can continue to use your maiden name at work/on Facebook etc).

Slat3 Sun 26-Jan-20 22:32:06

Oh no. Is that right? My passport is still maiden name but driving licence married name. My home and car insurance in maiden name - do I need to change before renewal?!

BaronessBomburst Sun 26-Jan-20 22:32:11

So you took a policy out four years ago in your maiden name, and since got married, and because you now use your married name they're saying that the policy is invalid?
I'm pretty sure that's bollocks.
And also discrimination as getting married wouldn't null an insurance policy for a man.

SluggishSnail Sun 26-Jan-20 22:33:47

I wouldn't have thought it would be OK to use two different names. You choose one or the other and get your documentation in line with that.

sickandtiredofsick Sun 26-Jan-20 22:34:07

Took out the policy 2008 in maiden name
Got married in 2012 have just been paying dd monthly but then had an issue with card fraud so account frozen and had to call to make payment when the name on bank card didn’t match policy name they said that means I can’t claim if need to as you can’t ever use your maiden name if married

WatchingFromTheWings Sun 26-Jan-20 22:34:57

You can use any name you like so long as it's not for fraudulent purposes. I'd challenge that! I've been married twice and use both married and maiden names but I'm double barrelled with maiden and second husbands name on passport and driving license.

DuckPie Sun 26-Jan-20 22:36:09

You don't have to change your name 'legally' after marriage. There's nothing you need to do.

You can use your married name if you wish and will usually be required to show your marriage certificate to do so for anything official. You'll need to show bank, dvla etc a copy to change.

If you don't provide insurance company a copy of your marriage certificate and continue using maiden name in correspondence with them then that's fine. Even if you've changed your name on other documents.

WatchingFromTheWings Sun 26-Jan-20 22:36:09

you can’t ever use your maiden name if married

That's definitely bollocks!

Rose789 Sun 26-Jan-20 22:36:53

Has this happened as a result of a claim? If so don’t panic, send in evidence of your maiden name eg (birth certificate) and your marriage certificate. They will then have concrete proof you are who you say are. If they still decline to pay the claim/ try to void the policy raise a complaint and if the complaint is not upheld take it to the ombudsmen.
If it’s not as a result of a claim just tell them you now wish to change your name to your married name?

Rose789 Sun 26-Jan-20 22:38:51

Cross post with op. That’s fine just speak to their customer services team and update to your married name if that’s what they want you to do. It’ll just be over zealous employee but better to change it now they have alerted you

Sleeveen Sun 26-Jan-20 22:39:33

That’s nonsense, OP. It’s not the Dark Ages. Most people don’t change their names.

MySonThePotato Sun 26-Jan-20 22:40:17

You are perfectly entitled to use both names. I do; I work as Dr Maidenname and use Mrs DHname at home. It's very common in my profession. You should complain - that sounds like bollocks.

purpleme12 Sun 26-Jan-20 22:40:26

I work in insurance and we would never say that to someone. You are still the same person on the policy therefore the policy is still valid. At the most we would change the name.

(It would be an invalid policy if for example there were lodgers living with you and you hadn't told us, something like that as that may affect the policy). Your name will not affect the risk of the policy and you are the same person so it can't make the policy invalid.

Also any person can pay for a policy it doesn't have to be the policyholder so how does that it the name has to match the policyholder name?! Rubbish

IamtheDevilsAvocado Sun 26-Jan-20 22:40:49

Poppycock! They're talking shit.

Sorry I've had a bad day... So more sweary than usualgrin

Rose789 Sun 26-Jan-20 22:40:53

@Slat3 your car insurance needs to match the name on your drivers licence. I’ve seen vehicles impounded as a result of this.

CheshireDing Sun 26-Jan-20 22:43:13

Of course you can use your maiden name once you are married!

What idiot told you this at the insurance company ? They are wrong and stupid.

LittleDragonGirl Sun 26-Jan-20 22:45:31

Bollock you cant use your maiden name.

When I got married my husband too my name, so my maiden name is my married name and his name changed.

mrsbyers Sun 26-Jan-20 22:45:45

I use a mixture of both , all my finances are in maiden name plus driving licence so I have photo ID for both names if needed

sickandtiredofsick Sun 26-Jan-20 22:46:24

Thankyou I was worried I’ve been unwell and trying to find my marriage certificate to scan and email them as was stressing if anything happens we couldn’t claim

GlamGiraffe Sun 26-Jan-20 22:47:23

I specifically asked about name change rules and arrangements when I got married (i did not want to change my name and wanted to ensure thus wasnt accidentally done somehow for me). I was told you are legally allowed to use any combination of your own and your husbands names, or your name un alterred after marriage and these are acceptable and correct. You can choose which name it is. I think you should speak yo your insurance company, it sounds like they may be threatening you with misinformation. They need to make sure they understand clearly and can correctly lay out their case.

hazeydays14 Sun 26-Jan-20 22:47:56

I also used to work in insurance (travel) and we would ask you to send a copy of your marriage cert if you made a claim and wanted your payment in a different name to the policy but it certainly wouldn’t mean your policy was invalid.

pigsDOfly Sun 26-Jan-20 22:48:15

All you have to do after your marriage, if you want to use your married name, is to notify everyone you have dealings with: banks, passport, DVLA and so on, and of course insurance companies.

They just need to be made aware that you have got married, so need to see proof.

Alternatively, you most definitely can keep using your single name, loads of women do. But you most definitely have pick one and stick with it, you can't have two legal surnames.

Toomuchtrouble4me Sun 26-Jan-20 23:00:00

I've been married for 22 years and I still use my maiden name for work, husbands name for everything else.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »