Talk

Advanced search

To be surprised that pretty much everyone I know has given their child a ‘wacky’ name?

(199 Posts)
custarddonut Fri 12-Jul-19 14:21:59

I’m reluctant to give specific examples as it would be potentially outing but by way of comparison I mean that none of my friends’ kids have names that were fairly standard when I was growing up in the 80s. E.g. Rachel / Sarah / Lucy / Daniel / Matthew / John / David etc.

I appreciate that names go in and out of fashion, and I understand (to a degree) that parents perhaps want their kids to stand out (or at least not have what are perceived as ‘boring’ or totally run-of-the-mill names, but more often than not the names in use now (in my circles at least) are, in my opinion, pretentious at best and verging on the ridiculous at worst! Worst-case is where they are sort of just random words, rather than actual names, e.g. ‘snowy’. Or names like the Geldof children e.g. ‘Pixie’ etc. Then you get names which are like old age pensioner names but not necessarily the trendy ones …they seem so dreary to me! (e.g. Phylis) OR names which to me sound really American (and names that you’d need to be quite cool to pull off, or a bit more grown up – they don’t seem to suit kids IMO) e.g. Harrison / Grayson etc. When I think of it, not a single friend of mine has given their kid what I would consider to be a ‘normal’ name.. and this is of a circle of say, 25 kids.

AIBU to feel a bit disappointed about this? I know, each to their own, live and let live, but to me it seems a bit of a shame that ‘normal’ names seem so unfashionable these days…OR, if I were to call my child something like ‘Anna’, would I be setting them up for standing out (in the wrong way) when they go to school? Will the inverse happen and names like ‘John’ become the weird names?!?

Alexandra54 Sat 13-Jul-19 22:43:10

There's a couple that live near me who have 4 daughters, whose names all have the prefix Princess, followed by a Disney type name.
I shudder to think how they'll feel about their names as they get older.
They also have a son with a relatively normal name.

baublegirl454 Sat 13-Jul-19 23:11:32

@ooooohbetty yep Tuna. Plus there's a Blaize and a Storm. But Tuna is the best

PetraRabbit Sat 13-Jul-19 23:20:20

OP, if UK fads are worrying you, try joining a Facebbok group for American parents- to- be.
You'll get lots of posts saying " I'm thinking Sullivan, Dakota, Townsend, Corbin or Cooper for a boy, then Brynn, Peyton, Taylor, Blake, Bodhi or Quinn for a girl". How on earth they designate all these random surnames to either male or female is still beyond me!!

UndertheCedartree Sat 13-Jul-19 23:30:37

Names do just go in and out of fashion. I gave my daughter a lovely name that isn't particularly popular now but is quite common among my 90 year old patients. But one day our names will be 'elderly' names and our children's names 'normal'!

Claricethecat45 Sat 13-Jul-19 23:32:00

I have a Bobby. Born 1991 and is officially Robert - but has always been Bobby.I still love it - for me its a sunny happy name and he is certainly that !

I have a Fred - Born 1993 and he has always been a Fred, never a Freddy...full name is Frederick.

I still love those names and relish using them - a lot - when I see them and both my boys love their own names.

I have come across several Fredericks and its usually shortened to Freddy...so Fred is always clear he isn't a Freddy-or Freddie....Bobby uses the strapline 'the only Bobby you'll know' on social media...and almost without exception, he is !

Eustasiavye Sun 14-Jul-19 14:05:14

clarice "the only Bobby you'll know," I love it.

Eustasiavye Sun 14-Jul-19 14:05:47

Btw I once had a car called Fred 😂

Eustasiavye Sun 14-Jul-19 14:06:09

Cat not car!

SD1978 Sun 14-Jul-19 14:30:39

I don't really care about the names......it's the enforced 'yoonique' spellings that irritate me. As obviously Jessieighkah (duh course it's pronounced Jessica) is going to love spelling that for the rest of her life because you're need for it to be written differently but sound the same trumps the poor kids future embarrassment.....

Hippee Mon 15-Jul-19 16:02:08

ContinuityError - I imagine so, but I hope not grin

LaurieMarlow Mon 15-Jul-19 16:33:24

If you like cutey names choose a grown up version and shorten it

But there's a whole generation of cutey names growing up and it will be totally normal to see grown up Alfie's, Archie's, Evie's, Poppy's and so on floating around.

Tallgreenbottle Mon 15-Jul-19 16:44:43

@custarddonut everyone from the late 80's were basically called Sarah, Rachel, Katy, Rebecca, Louise, Jessica, Sophie. I was one of 3 girls with the same name in my class alone (thats one form of ten forms in the school year) and one of about 18 in my school year.

Why would I ever want that for my kid? The 80's and 90's were shit times for names.

Tallgreenbottle Mon 15-Jul-19 16:46:40

@Claricethecat45 three young people in my family are called Bobby and two are girls named after their grandfathers 😬

Eustasiavye Wed 17-Jul-19 07:32:32

I'm still not convinced by this.
What are these wacky names please?

PeonyBlooms Wed 17-Jul-19 10:39:57

This is the perfect thread to mention a woman I know called her little girl Kestrelle! Now I like an unusual name as much as anyone, but that one did raise an eyebrow.

With regards to the OP I do think you are being a little unreasonable. Fashions change and what you consider to be whacky names will be soon be the norm.

ToffeePennie Wed 17-Jul-19 10:52:45

My kids have names which have consistently been used for as long as time (as far as I know). They are family names and I’m fairly confident they will always be consistently used.
My oldest is the only one in his year at his school with his name. There are a few out there names (amarleighah, marlee etc) and a couple of normal classics (James/Henry etc) but nothing that I would say is really out there.
I really didn’t want to give my kids names that like mine you never see on a headband or a cup. And I wanted my kids to have names that would grow with them.

LEELULUMPKIN Wed 17-Jul-19 11:02:04

I like my name (I'm 49) but have never ever heard of a baby in the last 30+ years named it anywhere.

weaningwoes Wed 17-Jul-19 11:38:59

My daughter has an unusual name. Honestly just picked it because I liked it best (my list included a lot of 'normal' names too, just the one me and DH could agree on). Now every time someone says in a lovely voice "Oh what a lovely name, how unusual!" I will suspect they are inwardly rolling their eyes and marking me down as a pretentious middle-class arsehole. Hey ho I suppose.

weaningwoes Wed 17-Jul-19 11:43:33

Not to change the subject but does anyone think about etymology when choosing a name? For example I did think about using my mother's name as a middle name, but then found out it has a really boring/non-relevant meaning so changed my mind even though it is a nice name... similarly I love the name 'Aphra' (#pretentioustwatklaxon) but it means 'dust', which just isn't a nice meaning! I often think that's the problem with a lot of the traditional names - however nice they sound when you look into them they have really dull or inappropriate or 'God-y' meanings which a lot of people don't feel are relevant to them or their kids. So maybe that's one reason why some people get a bit 'out there', or prefer to just use 'nickname' versions?

Ifeelbloodyawful Wed 17-Jul-19 12:04:34

My name was INSANELY popular in the eighties and as such I was surrounded by children with the same name throughout my schooling (which incidentally I hated!). I think it's a fairly classic sounding name, but it has been losing popularity over the years and now isn't very popular at all.
I think there are some truly classic names that will always be popular (ONS data confirms this!), and then others will come and go in terms of popularity/trends/fads.

I do agree that these days the vast majority of parents seem to be reaching for "unique" names but in the process this is causing those names to become more and more popular and less and less unique (not that there is any such thing as a truly unique name anyway).

When naming our children I was aware of my own experience of being one of many, so for both of them we chose names not in the top 100. Although they are both relatively classic names in my opinion, my son's name in particular . Definitely real names though!

aintnothinbutagstring Wed 17-Jul-19 12:08:39

My dc both have 'weird' names (or non-English as the OP implies) because their dad is West African, they have English middle names but even those are not from the top 10 or even 100 maybe.

Carouselfish Wed 17-Jul-19 12:16:08

As a teacher, it seems everyone is calling their kids names ending in the ee sound. That's what I'd say is the norm. I think as with actual fashion (clothes) almost anything goes, you can follow fashion or do your own thing and that's a nice place to be. Your normal is based on when you grew up and that's a pretty small window of time.
Mum-wise, I'd rather give a child a slightly interesting name. That way if they're a dull person, at least they'll have one thing that's memorable about them! I'd still ensure it was spellable, however.
Also like that names are getting a bit more cross cultural in the international world we live in.

HazelBite Wed 17-Jul-19 13:30:19

DH read me a piece from a newspaper last week (the Guardian I think) about a man in Sweden who wanted to change his name to Tottenham (being a Tottenham Hotspur supporter) and it wasn't allowed.
Personally I can't see the difference between that and the name Brooklyn, both areas of large cities!

4cats2kids Wed 17-Jul-19 13:40:26

I’m charting my family history at the moment. All the people with really common names can be really confusing. I wish my ancestors were more wacky!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »