Talk

Advanced search

To be impressed by Prince William?

(96 Posts)
VivienneHolt Wed 26-Jun-19 14:48:27

I know it shouldn’t need to be said but I was very glad to see him explicitly say that he would have no problem with any of his children being LGBT and would support them whatever. It’s the bare minimum we should accept from any parent, but I still think it’s a really good thing for such a public figure from a very traditional institution to actually publicly say it.

CoffeeToffeeFudge Thu 27-Jun-19 07:26:21

Being accepted by your parents is still an issue for lots of gay men and women. A front-and-centre parent with very famous children - one of whom will be the king one day - saying that they’d be supportive can only be a good thing.

Yes, of course he’d hardly say anything different, but I believe him. And if Harry & Meghan said the same, I’d believe them too.

proudestofmums Thu 27-Jun-19 07:43:52

I don’t believe him, frankly. What if George is gay - that means surely that the likelihood of his having biological children is vanishingly small. So the line of succession to the crown (if it’s still going) is cut so the crown would pass to Charlotte and her offspring after his death. Would he see the ramifications of this as acceptable?

RedForShort Thu 27-Jun-19 07:52:38

Why on earth is William getting a pat on the back for saying what any decent parent would say?
Well because he gets slight more attention than the average decent parent does. Which means his opinions do too.

It's not really about what him personally but that the attitude of acceptance of any sexuality is the standard. (He being part of a staunchly traditionalist family.) So you dont need to be impressed or whatever. Whether you like him or not it'll have an impact on the national and international perceived idea of what the general attitude of the country is.

Also he didn't exactly say he'd be right on about it. He did say he'd have worries about how they'd be treated.

CurlyWurlyTwirly Thu 27-Jun-19 07:54:24

If George is gay, then following it to the natural conclusion, he should be able to be married to his gay husband (Prince consort)?
And they should be able to have a child ( future monarch) via a surrogate.

I do wonder how the Letters patent would deal with all of that.

CurlyWurlyTwirly Thu 27-Jun-19 07:56:46

Heard rumours that Andrew is gay for years.
I think it’s the only explanation as to how he and Fergie have been able to stay “ best friends” for years.

I think Fergie took all the rap for their divorce.
Talk of them getting “ remarried “ are so wide of the mark.

Letsnotusemyname Thu 27-Jun-19 08:02:42

“Why on earth is William getting a pat on the back for saying what any decent parent would say?”

My children are gay. A significant number of their friends’ parents are not decent about it all

Some have been terrible.

Including cousins with their gay son.

So I’m happy about what he said - it will make some gay children’s lives easier.

He was also right to talk about his worries for them being persecuted as there are homophobic bigots around.

OutwiththeOutCrowd Thu 27-Jun-19 08:06:05

I'm always intrigued by the extent to which people are impressed by royal folk, or the Pope, saying something vaguely modern and humane, when lesser mortals have been saying it for ages without applause. They are not trailblazers. They are just responding to the Zeitgeist.

stucknoue Thu 27-Jun-19 08:06:58

What he said reflected what most people think today, though he did say that he would be worried that it would be particularly hard due to their position. One of the queens cousins married his long term partner a few years back in fact. They are ordinary people too

RedForShort Thu 27-Jun-19 08:07:47

To be honest I'd be more interested in the impact his words had on anyone homosexual or bi, rather than anyone heterosexual (who possible thinks homosexuality is pretty much accepted these days.)

CoffeeToffeeFudge Thu 27-Jun-19 08:09:01

Oh give over, proudestofmums. You really think William gives a flying fuck about the line of succession?

If George is going to be King it’s not going to be for 50 years or more, given how long the Windsors seem to last. If William lasts as long as Philip then George will be well into his 60s before he succeeds (accedes?). If society hasn’t reached a point where a gay King is acceptable, then I despair of the lot if us. George could appoint a successor if he doesn’t have a natural one.

But really...that’s a bit mean spirited. He and Kate have never given any indication that they are anything less than “gay friendly” (he was on the cover of a gay magazine) - and when he says the right thing, he’s not believed?

Can’t win, can he?

Didiusfalco Thu 27-Jun-19 08:11:48

Some of this thread is depressingly cynical. Of course it matters that he said this. Homosexuality is still illegal in about 30 common wealth countries, PW being openly supportive could really make a difference. He can’t ‘do’ politics but I like the soft politicking he is doing at the moment. Last week he asked farmers in the Lake District how they felt about brexit. He would have been briefed and known the likely answer, but he gave them a platform. So when they said ‘it’s like turkeys voting for Xmas’ it was all over the news.

KateWrong Thu 27-Jun-19 08:12:34

I don’t find him impressive in the least for saying this. I remember him talking about conservation while supporting trophy hunting, and talking about how people should have fewer children while Kate was pregnant for the third time. It’s very easy to say nice things, but it’s the actions that actually count.

CoffeeToffeeFudge Thu 27-Jun-19 08:13:29

All the royals speak in rehearsed soundbites anyway. Who cares what they “really think”....that’s their business.

proudestofmums Thu 27-Jun-19 08:17:19

Coffee toffee fudge - personally I’m not a bit bothered about a gay king. I just speculated that PW might be a bit bothered by the line of succession given that he’s, you know, in it!

P S is “flying fuck” the new phrase for the mile high club?

plumsugarsweet Thu 27-Jun-19 08:17:27

ChihuahuaMummy1

I thought Andrew was gay?

there a picture of PH appearing to be kissing or licking another guy's cheek, does that make him gay?hmm

CoffeeToffeeFudge Thu 27-Jun-19 08:36:59

“Flying fuck” is an old, old phrase.

I would be amazed if the younger royals were not in favour of a progressive monarchy. If George is gay, there’s nothing to stop William changing the rules about the line of succession (to maybe allow surrogacy?). It would benefit their image hugely.

Although we can’t ever truly know, I believe William & Kate would be supportive if any of their kids were gay, including George.

CoffeeToffeeFudge Thu 27-Jun-19 08:37:47

William changing the rules when he is king, of course.

Yabbers Thu 27-Jun-19 08:41:45

Ha! Yabu to actually believe he means what he says
Unreasonable to automatically assume he is lying.

proudestofmums Thu 27-Jun-19 18:06:17

I know flying fuck is an old phrase - I was trying to make a joke

escapade1234 Thu 27-Jun-19 18:48:49

If George is gay, then following it to the natural conclusion, he should be able to be married to his gay husband (Prince consort)? And they should be able to have a child ( future monarch) via a surrogate

When you say “via a surrogate”, I think you mean via the mother of the child. Presumably she would be made HRH as the mother of a future monarch and given all the money, titles and respect that go along with that. As the mother of a future king.

Or would we all have to pretend said child had no mother, just a “wonderful woman who gestated our child for us” or whatever the current bollocks speak is.

escapade1234 Thu 27-Jun-19 18:49:38

there a picture of PH appearing to be kissing or licking another guy's cheek, does that make him gay?

Well, it surely depends which cheeks.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »