Talk

Advanced search

AIBU not to give my children a double bed each?

(529 Posts)
TheCherries Tue 16-Apr-19 23:22:02

I am in the process of decorating new bedrooms for my two young teenagers.

Both are insistent their friends all now have double beds and it isn’t fair I am making them keep their single beds.

Changing their beds isn’t an option we don’t have the budget for it anyway but it got me thinking is it really a rite of passage to have a double bed as a teenager?

Surely you wait until you are an age to share the bed with another. My feeling is the larger the bed the more you get used to spreading out.

I would prefer to keep the single bed with guest bed underneath for sleepovers and enjoy the extra space in their rooms the rest of the time.

We have two spare bedrooms so we don’t need to double up the use of their beds for relatives staying over.

Do yours have a double bed?

AnneProtheroe Tue 16-Apr-19 23:26:44

My dd did from about 14. Much nicer to have room to relax properly.

WhatWouldTheDoctorDo Tue 16-Apr-19 23:27:16

DS is only 10, so we're not there yet, but friends / relatives with younger teens all seem to have double beds now. Though the 'small doubles' seem popular. So in my circle it does seem to be a thing!

Leeds2 Tue 16-Apr-19 23:28:35

My now 21 year old had a double bed from aged around 8, when we moved house and her bedroom was refurbished. Just seemed the more sensible, and comfortable, thing to do. She sleeps in a single at university without any problem.
We have never actually discussed it, and I have no idea what sort of beds her friends have at home. I am in my 50's, and still have a single bed at my parents' house!

happyhillock Tue 16-Apr-19 23:30:25

I got my 2 DD's the next size up from a single bed a small double not as big as an ordinary double.

Drum2018 Tue 16-Apr-19 23:31:34

My teens have doubles. Ds is over 6ft so he definitely needed it. Dd's replaced bunk beds a few years ago when we were doing up her room. Her room doubles as a guest room too so it's also needed.

Ribbonsonabox Tue 16-Apr-19 23:32:50

It's not really about what you think tbf... it's about what they want as it's their bedroom! Double beds are quite normal for teenagers to have. And you can get them very cheaply off Facebook selling or Ebay. And get cheap mattresses from IKEA and just get a nice mattress topper further down the line when finances are better. I think if you are doing up their rooms you ought to take into account what they actually want from a bedroom. That is supposed to be their space.

Futureisland Tue 16-Apr-19 23:34:03

My 12 year old has a small double. Onky because he needed a new bed and it was a good deal. My bed at my parents is still a single bed grin

minisoksmakehardwork Tue 16-Apr-19 23:34:03

When I wanted a double and new bedroom furniture at 16 I bought it myself from savings. If they're that desperate could they do the same?

DameDiazepamTheDramaQueen Tue 16-Apr-19 23:34:13

Ds is 6ft4 and still in his single, I asked if he wanted a double and he said no he loves his bed grin

PrincessDanae Tue 16-Apr-19 23:34:40

I think doubles are crap as a bed for 2 people, way too small. Their only purpose is for a sprawling singleton!

Mymycherrypie Tue 16-Apr-19 23:34:54

This is a new thing, not one of my teenage friends had a double bed except one very spoiled only child friend. But he was quite large so maybe it was for his comfort.

Durgasarrow Tue 16-Apr-19 23:35:36

Single beds are fine, especially since you don't have the budget to change them.

nighttimebrowser Tue 16-Apr-19 23:36:35

I never had a double bed at home. If you can't afford it then you can't afford it! They should understand that.

Singlenotsingle Tue 16-Apr-19 23:36:47

If they want double beds, let them buy them! They'll be demanding ensuites next!

brizzlemint Tue 16-Apr-19 23:37:25

My eldest got a double bed when they started having their partner sleep over at times. Now my second DC has just got one, the youngest will soon as they are both almost hanging off the end of their beds.

ImposterSyndrome101 Tue 16-Apr-19 23:38:23

I’m 24 and I’ve a single bed (live at home while not at uni) and I’ve only ever had a single bed. There’s room for me to have a double in my room but it just takes up so much space and you can sleep just as well in a single.

Some kids rooms are like shoeboxes so can only have singles. Not having a double isn’t a big issue.

fleshmarketclose Tue 16-Apr-19 23:39:12

Mine have double beds. When their single beds needed replacing I bought doubles. I wouldn't have replaced beds that didn't need replacing though.

MitziTheTabbyIsMyOverlord Tue 16-Apr-19 23:40:19

My heading towards 18 and just under 6' DD is still happy in her single.

What are your views about sex? Not prying, but whilst I might know my DD is having it, I don't want to encourage it in the house! Having a double bed, just makes it easier. (not anti. Not a prude. Lots of open discussions here. But CERTAINLY not actively encouraging it and absolutely not before she was definitely ready)

[am I really the only poster on MN tonight thinking that way???]

NicksWife08 Tue 16-Apr-19 23:40:39

I didn't have a double bed as a teen, and I didn't get one until I paid for it myself when I was in my twenties.

My own DC's do have double beds but that's because they managed to settle in those and stay in those all night. They are much younger though and didn't ask for them.

DramaAlpaca Tue 16-Apr-19 23:41:03

None of mine had doubles as teens, and nor did I at home, nor DH.

Two of the DC have moved out now (to their own flats with double beds) but their bedrooms at home still have singles.

DS is 6'3 and insists that he still loves his childhood bunk bed, even though he's too long for it confused

Mememeplease Tue 16-Apr-19 23:41:13

Mine both wanted them as Christmas presents, so that's what they got...

Chocolate1984 Tue 16-Apr-19 23:42:02

I don’t know any teenager with a double bed.

Itsagrandoldteam Tue 16-Apr-19 23:42:21

I was about 13/14 when my brother left home and I inherited his room and his double bed, he was a similar age when he inherited it from our older brother.

My son got his double bed when he was 11/12 we didn't buy it for him though, we bought ourselves a new bed, our bed then got moved into the guest room and he got the guest room double bed. We did buy him a new memory foam mattress last year, I have noticed he only ever sleeps on one side of the bed, so I have to remember to turn it round regularly.

They don't need a double bed, so only buy them one when it suits you. It worked out well for us as our son had a racing car bed and he was starting to think it was too babyish.

Mememeplease Tue 16-Apr-19 23:42:35

Trouble is now one of them is talking about taking it with her when she moves out- and I can't say no as it was an Xmas present.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »