Talk

Advanced search

Reaction to Mitchum deodorant (ouch!)

(21 Posts)
yellowonesie Sat 06-Apr-19 17:05:24

Anyone else had this?

Bought Mitchum roll on deodorant. Always used sure but they only had this in the small shop I went to. Used it last night after my shower and woke up this morning with red raw armpits. They sting like mad and are weeping slightly (sorry, tmi!).

Googled this and it's not uncommon. A few people have experienced similar!

Any idea what I could be allergic to? Scared to ever use deodorant again. Say here with aloe Vera soaked tea towels under my arms sad

ziggiestardust Sat 06-Apr-19 17:07:24

Aww you poor thing! Have you checked out Nuud? It’s expensive, but it lasts and lasts and it works brilliantly. I’ve had a spotty rash type reaction to Mitchum before... which I need as I’m such a sweaty person haha!

toastfiend Sat 06-Apr-19 17:09:15

I get this with their roll on, but not their spray. It's a pain as it's the only one I find to be effective. Not sure which ingredient it is that irritates my skin so much, but I think it's more powerful than lots of other deodorants, so i guess more chemicals. I found bathing my underarms in cool water and putting a natural, unscented moisturiser on them helped ease the soreness.

Sparklesocks Sat 06-Apr-19 17:10:14

What a nightmare!

I use Mitchum roll on (i can be quite sweaty and find its one of the stronger and more effective anti perspirants) and haven’t ever had any issues like that. It is quite strong stuff so maybe there is something in there that isn’t in most other roll ons. Could you compare the packaging with another type you use and see if there’s a different ingredient which might be the culprit?

ScissorBow Sat 06-Apr-19 17:12:37

It's the only one I've found that doesn't do that! Poor you that does suck. Antihistamines to stop the reaction?

Amber0685 Sat 06-Apr-19 17:25:07

Might be as it is high in Aluminium what Sparklesocks says about comparing ingredients is a good idea.

LuvSmallDogs Sat 06-Apr-19 17:57:32

Oh ouch, I had this once with a Palmolive gel one (not seen it in years). I scrubbed my pits with a flannel to get rid of it, which made it worse in the short term, and every time I moved my arms it hurt! Poor you!

Guylian2019 Sat 06-Apr-19 18:06:25

I've used michum for years and started to go red raw with it a few weeks ago. I now used a variety and only use michum for longer days. I used aveeno cream overnight when needed.

SrSteveOskowski Sat 06-Apr-19 18:07:53

Happened to me too. I was fine for about 3 days and woke up in day 4 with red raw, sore armpits.
I've never used it since. I find the only ones that work for me now are the ones that contain alcohol (they don't irritate me at all) but they seem to be few and far between. Sure do one in black packaging and I think there's a Vaseline one too.

PeoplesFrontOfJudith Sat 06-Apr-19 18:14:33

I developed an ongoing allergy to antiperspirants after using Mitchum for a while. I now can only use aluminium free deodorant, if I use any antiperspirant for more than a couple of days I get a bruised feeling underarm and itching so bad I want to claw my skin off. It’s a real sod as I’m a sweaty person sad

IPokeBadgers Sat 06-Apr-19 18:15:01

A mitchum stick deodorant is about the only thing that I have ever had a bad reaction to. Red raw and weeping pits that then go scabby....not fun! And took ages to heal up as well.

Hope your poor wee pits recover soon!

yellowonesie Sat 06-Apr-19 23:40:45

Amazed how many people react badly to it! They should have a warning on the label confused

GreenTulips Sat 06-Apr-19 23:46:51

Can I recommend baby bum cream to help the healing and there’s no friction or rubbing

cortex10 Sat 06-Apr-19 23:49:59

Tried it for the first time recently after reading good reviews - exactly the same problem- straight in the bin.

Bambamber Sat 06-Apr-19 23:54:35

I get this but for me it's not an allergy as such, it just really dries the skin out under my arms if I use it too much, which makes the skin really irritable and sore. Now I just apply a tiny little bit if I'm going out, and mositurise under my arms when I'm home. Unfortunately I don't find many deodorants work for me so I tend to stick with it and just mositurise lots in between use

Tolleshunt Sat 06-Apr-19 23:56:36

I get this with Mitchum only if my razor is blunt. As long as I can shave my armpits without scraping the skin, it's fine.

PristineCondition Sat 06-Apr-19 23:58:48

Same!
Can use the spray though

Shmoople Sat 06-Apr-19 23:59:21

A lot of these intensive anti perspirants seem to have this effect on people. Driclor always sounds terrifying to me 'stings like hell and gives you blisters for a fortnight.....but so worth it'.

No thanks!

DontCallMeShitley Sun 07-Apr-19 00:29:27

I have been using Mitchum unperfumed roll on for years and years and never had a problem. You are not meant to use it after shaving though.

Does anyone know of another unperfumed anti perspirant?

tillytrotter1 Mon 08-Apr-19 08:12:17

Contact them. I bought the spray deodorants and found that they wouldn't spray. When I contacted them through the customer service on their website I got a quick reply that the spray mechanism was faulty and they sent me vouchers. Good that a firm acknowledges their problems.

Witchtower Mon 08-Apr-19 08:21:57

I think it’s because it’s a very strong deodorant.

I had an unpleasant smell as a teen. I vegan using Mitchum and is the only deodorant that has ever worked for me. I’ve been using for about 15 years with no issue. I decided to try the spray as it was on special offer but unfortunately did not work for me.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »