Talk

Advanced search

DD in isolation for wearing the wrong socks

(220 Posts)
swirlycurly Sun 24-Mar-19 22:12:41

DD who's in year 7 is being put in the isolation room at school tomorrow for wearing the incorrect colour socks, white instead of black. She did do this two days in a row after being warned so I do think she should accept the punishment as she was warned. But AIBU to think this is a silly rule anyway? They seem to claim that having school uniform is setting them up for life and work yet what workplace is going to tell someone to work away from everyone facing a wall for the day because they wore the wrong colour socks? So why do schools feel the need to be so strict?

BlueSky123456 Mon 25-Mar-19 13:02:52

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

AnemoneAnenome Mon 25-Mar-19 12:58:16

"It ceases to be a uniform is you allow the pupils to remove everything at will."

No one's saying they can strip naked! Children all over the country manage to wear uniform without being in a blazer at all times. I really doubt these children are any less respectful or disciplined than children at schools with arcane, outdated rules. They can probably concentrate a bit better in class though, and are less likely to lose school days to migraines.

RhymingRabbit Mon 25-Mar-19 12:56:49

Message withdrawn - duplicate post.

RhymingRabbit Mon 25-Mar-19 12:56:48

I went to a private school with a blazer as part of the uniform. We were NEVER expected to wear it indoors or in the playground at breaks.

BlueSky123456 Mon 25-Mar-19 12:53:09

shesgrownhorns Mon 25-Mar-19 12:52:19

Agreed Reanimated !

wheretheydwell Mon 25-Mar-19 12:42:19

It doesn't get hot enough in the UK for DC to have to remove their blazers. They are part of the uniform, and therefore should be worn at all times. On the one or two days per year we have exceptionally warm weather, permission can be given by teachers to remove in lessons

Oh for goodness sake what a pile of rubbish! Firstly, its not true that its only too warm for blazers on a couple of days a year, second, its so stupid to not allow people to regulate their own temperature by adding or removnig layers, and thirdly different people feel warmer or cooler in the same external temperatures which is why one rule for all is colossally stupid.

wheretheydwell Mon 25-Mar-19 12:39:51

I think this is a very effective way for schools to ensure that pupils conform but do not respect the school or feel respected themselves

This! A thousand times this!

WeepingWillowWeepingWino Mon 25-Mar-19 12:37:11

then uniform, when enforced by idiots = mindless dronery.

AlecTrevelyan006 Mon 25-Mar-19 12:28:59

School uniforms should be scrapped

BlueSky123456 Mon 25-Mar-19 12:28:13

WeepingWillowWeepingWino Mon 25-Mar-19 12:21:06

Dear God, I never wore a blazer at school (private girls school, 1980s), and have never worn one at work since. It's an outer garment so no need to wear it indoors, in schools that are frequently boiling hot in summer. Doesn't get hot enough? FFS, we had about a month of very hot weather the last couple of summers, with that set to continue.

That is mindless dronery taken to an extreme.

Cheeeeislifenow Mon 25-Mar-19 12:10:43

Why can't children just be comfortable? I would hate to sit in a Blazer all day as an adult.

BlueSky123456 Mon 25-Mar-19 12:08:09

outpinked Mon 25-Mar-19 12:02:06

Stupid rule, socks surely can’t even be seen.

christinarossetti19 Mon 25-Mar-19 11:59:12

As a parent of a Y7, I wouldn't lay her clothes out for her, but I would suggest that she keep a pair of black socks in her school bag to avoid situations like this.

Because that's what I do with things that I need for work, but sometimes unintentionally forget.

DontCallMeCharlotte Mon 25-Mar-19 11:59:09

parttimeateverything

It's not about the colour of the socks.
Your daughter will not need to wear a certain kind of sock for a workplace environment no, but conforming in this way will teach her valuable skills.
She will be expected to consider herself a team player who is treated like everyone else with the same restrictions and benefits ( time off for certain reasons, leaving early etc) in this case uniform.
She will need to be respectful of her bosses who have made previous decisions and of her colleagues who work within these rules/ guidelines. In this case uniform.
She will need to represent an organisation/. company and understand how you present yourself and behave ( polite,interested in others etc) reflects on more than just you as an individual. In this case the school and uniform.
She will need to understand that if you make a mistake you will be spoken to and guided but if you ignore this advice there will be disciplinary action. In this case isolation for incorrect uniform.

In summary she will need to understand that disrespect for others and thinking the rules don't apply to her will make working life very difficult.

I really don't know why people think teachers just want to police petty rules. They are there for a reason and the reason is always the kids best interests whether it is safety or life skills.

You can complain about the silly rule but then wonder why your child isn't given a permanent contract at a company full of "silly. rules".

Sorry not to "bold" it all, but what this PP says is absolutely spot on. And whilst we shouldn't all be lemmings and follow each other off a cliff for the sake of following rules, complying and conforming are hardly the crimes of the century. It really winds me up when people think rebellious behaviour (which in so many cases is also "for the sake of it") is such a bloody virtue.

notacooldad Mon 25-Mar-19 11:57:51

What difference does the colour of her socks matter to her education, what a stupid rule
You are missing the point.
You think it is a stupid rule, I fo and well and I guess a lot if people do as well but the point is it is a rule and she was given a warning. She chose to ' forget ' about the warning. That us the point.

christinarossetti19 Mon 25-Mar-19 11:55:50

The punishment seems very, very OTT. What on earth do they do with children who do something seriously wrong? Or deliberately flaunt rules?

villagesecret Mon 25-Mar-19 11:52:24

She's 11, don't put the right socks out for her, doing that is poor parenting, good parenting would be making her understand that she, at 11/12 years old, needs to understand that the rule is she wears black socks so SHE needs to put black socks on or suffer the consequences.

Otherwise her next excuse will be you didn't put the right socks out for her or didn't put her socks out at all and how in God's name could an 11/12 year old be expected to get her own socks out.

FuzzyShadowChatter Mon 25-Mar-19 11:45:31

I wouldn't mind the rule or one of mine being punished for it. I agree that isolation as a punishment seems weird overkill and think something like wearing odd black socks or lunchtime detention makes more sense. I might campaign against it if it was being used so often for things like this.

I am a bit confused at what seems different levels of isolation. The OP says 'work away from everyone facing a wall for the day' and some poster mentioned being kept in another classroom, some with or without work. I've seen elsewhere images of kids with like a tall 3 wall barrier on their desk or their lunch table and when I was a kid it was total isolation in the school office meeting room - only for serious offenses like major violence or leaving school property during the day without permission which may be why my first reaction is to feel it's overkill for socks. The OP's version and the wall ones seem more public shaming than isolation, but I guess it's good she's still in the classroom. Still doesn't seem a fitting punishment.

None of the schools I went to as a kid had a uniform, but they all had dress codes and plenty of teachers' time was spent dealing with that especially in the high schools I went to. Even the most lax ones had people pushing the edges of it. Personally, while I did appreciate the lax ones allowed me to wear hats, I wish in some ways they had been stricter like if my primary and middle schools had had no dyed or extreme hair would have saved me a lot of grief. I don't really feel strongly on uniforms either way - I don't think they're essential as my home educated kids easily deal with uniforms for cadets or one when she transferred to school even if she didn't get at first why neon headbands with kitty ears would not meet uniform policy, but as long as help is made to make them accessible and not horrible things like isolation for needing a few days to get new shoes, I don't see them as an issue to fight either. I do wish rules that were stated as rules actually were, so many things that were made a big deal of like no brands on bags and then it's not enforced which isn't really sending a good message about rules.

MarshaBradyo Mon 25-Mar-19 11:42:03

I’m used to school coat and bag. Wanting to rebel against uniform sounds like a waste of time.

Kaddm Mon 25-Mar-19 11:41:31

I’m a bit on the fence here.

If her uniform socks are black, I think a blind eye could probably have been turned if she had navy, dark grey or dark green on. But white is extremely contrasting, particularly if her trousers and shoes are black and they probably stuck out a mile, plus she was told about it the day before.

BlueSky123456 Mon 25-Mar-19 11:35:42

Acis Mon 25-Mar-19 11:29:49

White socks don't look smart? Why not? At my school we had to wear them throughout the summer term.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »