Talk

Advanced search

To press charges against this parent?

(644 Posts)
Rosegarden10 Sun 10-Mar-19 08:39:11

I've name changed for this as obviously this is very outing.

On Friday, my child attended a school disco. Whilst they were at the school disco, another parent broke into the school and was banging on the hall doors to get in. When she couldnt access the hall she kicked the glass door and broke the window smashing the glass. The children and adults inside were terrified and they had to evacuate the children in an emergency lockdown procedure.

My child (and the majority of the other children) are now traumatised. My child doesnt want to go back to school tomorrow. The police arrived at the scene however it doesnt appear as though they arrested her as she the parent was on the parent WhatsApp group trying to justify her behaviour an hour after the incident.

Can I press charges against this woman for the trauma she has caused my child and the other children? I am so angry!!

HappilyHarridan Mon 11-Mar-19 04:03:44

Op of you had just asked for advice on how you can support your daughter and help her to process this you would have had very different responses. It was leaping straight to ‘pressing charges’ that set the tone for the thread as it sounded like your focus was on taking out a court case which isn’t necessarily a brilliant idea.

aurynne Mon 11-Mar-19 04:14:38

"If it helps, me and my lovely dp are at my best friends. Having a get together, while discussing this thread and having a chuckle."

Yep, we're all having a chuckle here too grin

Frecklesonmyarm Mon 11-Mar-19 05:04:54

Really? You're at your best friend's house, with your DP, and you're having an argument on mumsnet?

Yep. They love mumsnet too. We often look at the threads. grin

If kids or adults are evacuated, they are evacuated. They wouldn't be put in lock down outside and if a school initiates lock down, parents cant just turn up and pick their kids up.

StillCoughingandLaughing Mon 11-Mar-19 08:45:48

Likely reasons this woman wasn’t arrested:

1) The incident wasn’t quite as serious as Chinese whispers and the penchant of pre-teens for drama have rendered it. ‘She was banging on the glass’ quickly becomes ‘She was trying to break the glass’ and then ‘She broke the glass’.

2) The school or Head doesn’t want to pursue it and just asked the police to get her off the premises. It would still ultimately be up to the attending officers to decide if they want to make an arrest, but it costs time and money - if the school isn’t looking to pursue it, an arrest is probably a waste of both.

3) She wasn’t immediately arrested, but the police have requested she attend an interview at a later date.

Unlikely reasons:

1) She was a genuine threat and serious about killing the Head, but the police didn’t give a shit.

2) She’s married to a copper 🙄 (a particularly ridiculous suggestion from 7Pips).

clairemcnam Mon 11-Mar-19 09:10:21

I think it would also perhaps have been different if OP had shared what the mum said actually happened.

TheGirlWithAllTheFeathers Mon 11-Mar-19 10:07:41

No you can't. I'm trying to think how my class would have responded to this situation when I was a kid. I think we'd have been faux shocked and then giggled the hell out of it. Why are you acting shocked and appalled and encouraging the 'trauma'? Laugh with your child at the silly woman's behaviour and show her how stupid someone looks when they lose their temper in public like that. It's certainly not something that should cause long-term trauma or shock.

Saoirse1 Mon 11-Mar-19 14:13:38

This thread has been a great read i must say 😂

Yesicancancan Mon 11-Mar-19 14:17:53

Save the receipts from your daughters counselling sessions, usually about £45 per hour and then go to the county court, it’s not too expensive to make a small claim proceedings. wink

Quartz2208 Mon 11-Mar-19 18:16:03

Yesicancan I assume you are joking because who would she make the claim against

iklboo Tue 12-Mar-19 17:36:03

What was the result of the school meeting?

Huntress2020 Tue 12-Mar-19 18:05:59

Stuff like this is probably why the Police are going under. A desire to press charges for emotional upset hmmHappily I suspect this won't be coming into law as an offence any time soon.

Takethebuscuitandthesink Wed 13-Mar-19 07:35:56

Any update then op?

nolongersurprised Wed 13-Mar-19 11:04:43

I remember watching a TV show on stunts highlighting that some stuff that happens on TV all the time - like kicking in doors and glass shattering on imapact don’t actually happen in reality.

Did she really kick in a glass door, just with her feet? Was she wearing workman’s boots with steel caps?

stressedbeyond123 Wed 13-Mar-19 12:19:23

To be honest i'm with OP here - not with the pressing charges, as there's no such thing.

If my daughter was at a school disco and something like this happened, i know she would be scared, and rightly so, i'm an adult and it would scare me.

More than anything I would want to know what the school and police are doing about this to ensure the mother doesn't do it again. Lets be fair, to kick off like she did at a school disco, she clearly has some issues.

Speak to the school @RoseGarden10 and see what they say, then take it from there. I would imagine there are a few parents who are not happy with what happened.
x

PregnantSea Wed 13-Mar-19 12:38:24

No. Sounds like what happened was pretty crazy but it's probably best to just move on from it. I'm sure your DC will be fine.

Takethebuscuitandthesink Sat 04-May-19 00:02:00

So what happened in the end op?

LadyRannaldini Sat 04-May-19 02:56:42

You clearly don't understand the word 'traumatised', they're probably a bit upset, it'll be looked on as an adventure and one to tell their friends about soon. Children are often more effected by the over-reaction of parents than the event.

GinDaddy Sat 04-May-19 20:12:07

Have just read this thread and if I was the OP, I would have zero inclination to reply to this thread and update.

Prequelle Sat 04-May-19 20:14:31

When I was a kid we would have all found this terribly exciting and it would have been the focus of our playground roleplay games for the next month

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »