Talk

Advanced search

To press charges against this parent?

(644 Posts)
Rosegarden10 Sun 10-Mar-19 08:39:11

I've name changed for this as obviously this is very outing.

On Friday, my child attended a school disco. Whilst they were at the school disco, another parent broke into the school and was banging on the hall doors to get in. When she couldnt access the hall she kicked the glass door and broke the window smashing the glass. The children and adults inside were terrified and they had to evacuate the children in an emergency lockdown procedure.

My child (and the majority of the other children) are now traumatised. My child doesnt want to go back to school tomorrow. The police arrived at the scene however it doesnt appear as though they arrested her as she the parent was on the parent WhatsApp group trying to justify her behaviour an hour after the incident.

Can I press charges against this woman for the trauma she has caused my child and the other children? I am so angry!!

PotteringAlong Sun 10-Mar-19 08:40:36

No, you can’t.

MamaLovesMango Sun 10-Mar-19 08:40:42

I know I’m mossing the point slightly but why did she do it?

I’m not sure you can but I imagine the school can.

Wolfiefan Sun 10-Mar-19 08:41:58

No crime has been committed against your child. I’m sorry they were upset and it sounds awful but you can’t legally prosecute for “trauma”.

YourSarcasmIsDripping Sun 10-Mar-19 08:42:38

No you can't. The school might be able to sue for damages and they will probably ban her off the premises.

IceRebel Sun 10-Mar-19 08:43:17

You can't press charges, but the school could do so for damage to property.

Why did she break into school?

Rosegarden10 Sun 10-Mar-19 08:43:22

She did it because she was angry at the headteacher for something, who was in the building at the time. I just cannot believe they didn't arrest her!!

LostInShoebiz Sun 10-Mar-19 08:43:31

Maybe wait and see if this trauma lasts more than two days first, eh? hmm

Barrenfieldoffucks Sun 10-Mar-19 08:43:38

The school would know this situation best, and would be the ones able to press charges for damages etc.

Why were the doors locked etc? This is very odd.

Treaclesweet Sun 10-Mar-19 08:44:39

Unless she said anything particularly threatening to the kids I don't think so? Seems very unfair though, school is definitely somewhere they should feel safe. Speak to the school at least, make sure it's properly dealt with as a traumatic incident, not swept under the rug.

Barrenfieldoffucks Sun 10-Mar-19 08:44:42

And this is one of these things that you can either make a big deal of to your kids, or you can encourage resilience.

Cannotresist Sun 10-Mar-19 08:46:00

There innuchh concept as “pressing charges” in the uk. If a crime is committed the police investigate and then the cps or fiscal in Scotland bring charges

StillCoughingandLaughing Sun 10-Mar-19 08:46:03

‘Pressing charges’ is a myth. You can report a crime, but that appears to have already happened. The police were called, she wasn’t arrested - it’s over. There’s no such crime as ‘traumatising a child’.

Cannotresist Sun 10-Mar-19 08:46:22

*no such

BigSandyBalls2015 Sun 10-Mar-19 08:46:36

Don’t be soutterly ridiculous. Sounds like you’re fuelling your DCs ‘trauma’. A brisk chat about how silly the cross lady was and how she won’t be allowed to do it again etc etc is all that’s needed.

Frecklesonmyarm Sun 10-Mar-19 08:47:58

It just have been upsetting for the children.

But yes, I would leave it more than 2 days. Go to the school with the child and speak to them, stay with your child for a bit and ensure they feel more comfortable.

Explain to your child that they weren't in danger, though you understand it's scary. And the police came and dealt with it

There has to be more to it. A person doesnt smash their way into a school for no reason.

Especially when there are people at the school.

Rosegarden10 Sun 10-Mar-19 08:48:10

The doors were locked because it was in the evening and why would the doors be open to the general public to just walk in 🤔

The parent was in the reception outside the hall and was shouting, swearing, repeatedly banging on the doors and windows. She then broke the glass. The kids inside were terrified as were the staff who didn't know whether the parent was armed. I am not sure why some of you think that's not a big deal?

user1483387154 Sun 10-Mar-19 08:48:13

You are being very over dramatic.

BigSandyBalls2015 Sun 10-Mar-19 08:49:08

Are you in America?

Birdsgottafly Sun 10-Mar-19 08:49:10

" I just cannot believe they didn't arrest her!!"

The Police know who've they got in, what there night is going to pan out like. Fridays can be manic.

She could have mental health issues etc and it wouldn't be in anyone's interest to arrest her.

It isn't that simple as, commit a crime = arrest.

dayswithaY Sun 10-Mar-19 08:49:31

Why would you want to? She's clearly got issues which the police would have taken into account. The school will deal with it as they see fit. Yes it was scary for the children but they'll move on.

MotsDHeureGoussesRames Sun 10-Mar-19 08:50:04

Agree with Barrenfield. Yes, it was awful behaviour and scary for the children but not traumatising, surely? Let your child know they are safe and send them to school! Do not let them stay off. They need to know it is safe - keeping them off only reinforces that they aren't. YANBU to feel angry but don't let your feelings impact your child. I am surprised too that she wasn't arrested. I feel sorry for her child, who will bear the brunt.

IceRebel Sun 10-Mar-19 08:50:15

as were the staff who didn't know whether the parent was armed

That's a rather large leap there, she was banging on the glass, not sure why they would jump to is she armed. I can't imagine why she would be so angry at the headteacher, but I would love to hear her side of the story.

JacquesHammer Sun 10-Mar-19 08:50:18

* I am not sure why some of you think that's not a big deal?*

What are you thinking you can press charges for?

If I were you I’d be saying along the lines of “yes it was scary but didn’t your teachers do a great job keeping you safe?”

You can use this to build resilience.

Barrenfieldoffucks Sun 10-Mar-19 08:50:45

I'm surprised the doors were locked because it just seems odd that people weren't free to come and go as they wanted. What if you'd wanted to leave early? I only have experience of a small village school though to be fair.

However this doesn't have to be the big deal you're making it out to be. How old is your child?

Frecklesonmyarm Sun 10-Mar-19 08:51:06

If she was in reception shouting and swearing why didn't someone go deal with her?

A school, that correctly has locked doors, had glass that a person can kick in?

What's the point in that? If someone had a weapon, they would get in easily. Very odd that glass isn't reinforced.

Something is very odd in all this.

Rosegarden10 Sun 10-Mar-19 08:51:22

Wow. Fuelling drama? Try explain that to a hall full of children who thought thay they were being subject to a terrorist attack and who all came out crying when their parents arrived. Now I know why I don't post on mumsnet often!

Barrenfieldoffucks Sun 10-Mar-19 08:51:41

And what was she likely to be armed with? Does she have mental health issues? I would expect the school to deal with this firmly, but there isn't anything for you to do.

LovingLola Sun 10-Mar-19 08:52:00

Were the doors to the hall locked?? If that is correct surely that is a breach of fire safety regulations??? I would raise that with the school.

I’m sure the school will do its best to reassure the children about the crazy lady

Barrenfieldoffucks Sun 10-Mar-19 08:52:18

Could they not see her through the glass?

Frecklesonmyarm Sun 10-Mar-19 08:52:19

They all thought it was a terrorist attack?

Really? When they could see it was a parent?

JacquesHammer Sun 10-Mar-19 08:52:41

Try explain that to a hall full of children who thought thay they were being subject to a terrorist attack and who all came out crying when their parents arrived

But isn’t it your job to reassure them?

Windowsareforcheaters Sun 10-Mar-19 08:53:47

A parent screaming and causing criminal damage would be very alarming to staff.

The staff had to assume she was potentially armed (knife or a gun) staff had to act to protect the children from a possible attack. The staff would take this very, very seriously and the children would have been scared.

Remember Lisa Potts who died protecting children from an attacker with an axe? Staff would absolutely have been alarmed this would have been transmitted to the children.

SillyMoomin Sun 10-Mar-19 08:54:10

Oh god you’re THAT parent

Calm down

IceRebel Sun 10-Mar-19 08:54:23

who thought thay they were being subject to a terrorist attack

I think your language about this incident is making it more of a traumatic event than it really was.

A woman banged on a glass door and it smashed. There's no need to throw around words like "armed" and "terrorist"

animaniac Sun 10-Mar-19 08:54:35

Struggling to understand why on earth the doors were locked in the first place - apart from anything else, it is a major fire hazard to have the main exit point locked. The school should know this.

FullOfJellyBeans Sun 10-Mar-19 08:54:41

I imagine it was stressful at the time but I agree you need to help your DC realise that it's over, they're safe and it won't happen again. Pressing charges is impossible and won't help your child. It will just drag the whole thing out. This woman obviously has issues, I wouldn't want her around my kids but no you can't press charges.

CountessVonBoobs Sun 10-Mar-19 08:54:43

You thought this angry parent had a gun? Come on.

You're being ridiculous. And as PPs have said, you can't "press charges" because a) that isn't a thing b) no crime has been committed against you.

SummerHouse Sun 10-Mar-19 08:54:51

They don't arrest these days unless they have to. They are more likely to ask her to attend voluntarily for interview. From there it will be a cps / police decision to charge or they might go for community resolution if she admits, is sorry and agrees some act to make amends.

Frecklesonmyarm Sun 10-Mar-19 08:55:00

If you really HAVE to do something, you could in theory, sue her. You need to find a solicitor willing to take it on.

But it will take a long time and in a few weeks when everyone else has moved on, you will be known as the parents that is suing x over that incident months ago and it will back fire on you and possibly your child.

FamilyOfAliens Sun 10-Mar-19 08:55:20

If I were you I’d be saying along the lines of “yes it was scary but didn’t your teachers do a great job keeping you safe?”

This.

SileneOliveira Sun 10-Mar-19 08:56:26

I'm surprised the doors were locked because it just seems odd that people weren't free to come and go as they wanted.

Since Dunblane it has been standard practice to have school doors locked. All schools I've been at you have to be buzzed in. For obvious reasons.

It does sound like a scary experience and the mother sounds a bit unhinged. But as others have said you can't "press charges" that has to be a decision for the Police and the CPS or Procurator Fiscal.

FudgeBrownie2019 Sun 10-Mar-19 08:57:41

So you think every parent of every child at that event should be able to press charges against this woman? How would that work? What crime did she commit against the children?

I'm not undermining the fact that she scared them and left them in a position where their parents will have to deal with the emotional fall out. But that's your role a a parent, to deal with traumatic events and help your child find a way through them. It's awful, absolutely, but it's also your job now.

onalongsabbatical Sun 10-Mar-19 08:57:44

Are you in the US, OP? Because it really does make a difference to your assumptions.

MemorylikeDory Sun 10-Mar-19 08:58:00

People keep asking why the doors were locked. Gaining access to school premises is normally done so through secured doors. They are locked needing a fob/code to get in but able to be opened from the inside so people can indeed leave freely.

I can imagine it was a very scary time for the supervising staff and parents and for the children at the time. It's the not knowing what that person, who is unstable enough to be breaking glass to gain access, will do if they managed to get it. Not a position I would like to be in when in charge of and looking after other people's children.

PersonaNonGarter Sun 10-Mar-19 08:58:13

You don’t understand. YOU can’t ‘press charges’.

If you or your child were actually injured or disadvantaged you could start a civil case for damages.

CountessVonBoobs Sun 10-Mar-19 08:58:23

If you really HAVE to do something, you could in theory, sue her. You need to find a solicitor willing to take it on.

You'd have to pay the fees yourself, mind, because no solicitor is going to take a "no win no fee" case against a private individual, and even assuming you don't get laughed out of court and actually win, she undoubtedly has fuck-all money to pay you. So you'd be massively out of pocket and no doubt compound the trauma of what didn't need to be a big thing in the first place. Sounds like an excellent plan, no?

Birdsgottafly Sun 10-Mar-19 08:58:54

OP, you are within your right to ask the Head to reassure you that there is now safeguards in place regarding this Parent.

I understand your point, if this happened at home, you would be arrested amd SS involved.

I'm sure the School will be in contact with other Services.

Children shouldn't be subjected to this. But use it as a lesson in calling the Police and appropriate behaviour.

Also explain that they were never in danger because no-one could get in, even though the window broke.

Rather than fuel the fear.

CherryPavlova Sun 10-Mar-19 08:59:13

Mmmmnnn A really interesting one as not in the UK so hard to know legislative framework for your country.
Luckily, in the U.K. school glazing is covered by regulation and quite difficult to break nowadays.

The guidance for U.K. schools is covered by;
Workplace (Health, Safety and Welfare) Regulations 1992 (amended)
Building Regulations.
British Standard BS 6206: Impact performance requirements for flat safety glass and safety plastics for use in buildings
British Standard BS 952: Glass for Glazing

Frecklesonmyarm Sun 10-Mar-19 08:59:22

Since Dunblane it has been standard practice to have school doors locked. All schools I've been at you have to be buzzed in. For obvious reasons.

With re enforced glass on the doors? Because normal glass would be pointless, against someone with a gun.

HaventGotAllDay Sun 10-Mar-19 08:59:38

I would like to bet that more of the children involved are enjoying their 15 minutes of drama telling their friends who weren't there that they were when Mrs Bonkers crashed into the school and "there was glass everywhere and everyone was screaming and we all nearly died" than there are refusing to go to school in case she comes back.

T'was ever thus.

MsJaneAusten Sun 10-Mar-19 09:00:31

I’m baffled by the people who think it’s weird that the doors are locked. This is basic stuff. All schools should have doors that are locked to protect the pupils inside after incidents like Dunblane and the one with Lisa Potts. They can of course, be unlocked from the inside hmm Can you really just wander into your DC’s schools? If so, report them to OFSTED. They are failing to protect your child.

OP, I accept it was a difficult situation, but your focus now should be on reassuring your child that she was kept safe by her teachers, and discussing with the school if you felt there were breaches of their security.

Windowsareforcheaters Sun 10-Mar-19 09:01:01

It really doesn't make a difference if the OP is in the USA.

Children in the U.K. have been attacked by people with knives and axes. As I mentioned previously a nursery nurse was killed protecting children in a situation where no gun was involved.

The complacent assumption that because we are in the U.K. our children are safe is very worrying.

Staff must assume the worst and protect the children accordingly.

Rosegarden10 Sun 10-Mar-19 09:01:11

Let me just reiterate - none of the parents were there. It was a drop off and go disco. The children could only leave if their parents were called and they came to collect as it's a rural school. In ALL schools in the area, they operate a strict policy of not allowing Joe public to just walk in to a school building especially on an evening - I thought this was standard?

The being armed bit, I presumed is because she was threatening to kill the headteacher and part of the lockdown procedure is that the person isnt approached and all staff and children are evacuated to the designated point.

I am not sure why some of you are trying to make out that what this woman did is ok? The kids in that disco ranged from reception to year 6, I don't think anyone has the right to say how they should feel!

BertrandRussell Sun 10-Mar-19 09:01:11

Sounds absolute awful. But it seems it was dealt with quickly and efficiently and the systems in place worked. Your job is now to reassure your child age appropriately and help them move on. And I would also worry about children in a locked hall because of the fire risk- school discos in my experience usually have open doors with teachers or parents watching them.

Missingstreetlife Sun 10-Mar-19 09:01:16

Was she mad or drunk?
Your kids were not harmed. They will see scary things sometimes. Your job is to help them get over it and check with school so you can reassure them school is mostly a safe place. Probably school will do this, but you can talk to them about what to do in emergencies, who will help etc.

Namechangeforthiscancershit Sun 10-Mar-19 09:01:24

The children thought it was a terror atrack? The parent could have been armed? Are you for real?

An adult broke a window. The teachers acted quickly and properly. It will be forgotten much faster if the school are left to deal with the parent themselves.

Honeyroar Sun 10-Mar-19 09:01:29

I’m sure it was very frightening for the children at the time, and that it was upsetting for you to see your children so upset, but it wasn’t a terror attack, nobody got hurt and it’s over. You need to calm down and work on reassuring your child.

mrsmuddlepies Sun 10-Mar-19 09:01:54

Lots of staff on the front line (schools, hospitals etc) face aggression and hostility from the public. Hospitals will have security staff. Schools generally will not. Many teachers complain about aggression and harassment from parents. I imagine it is one of the reasons teacher recruitment and retention is hard.
So sorry to hear about your child's experience. Hopefully the governors and Head will ban the parent from entering the school again.
It is frightening and your child has every right to be upset. Sometimes it is hard to get the balance right between a school being a welcoming place and yet safeguarding staff and students effectively.

user1474894224 Sun 10-Mar-19 09:01:56

At the point the parent was banging on the doors the lockdown procedure should have been activated. You are within your rights to query the school if this happened soon enough. You are also within your rights to query if there were enough staff at the disco to manage this and if all adults supervising were trained - often discos are the remit of the PTA. It is likely the school will now ban the parent from the premises (or the LA will). If this doesn't happen you can ask why it hasn't happened.

StillCoughingandLaughing Sun 10-Mar-19 09:02:21

The doors were locked because it was in the evening and why would the doors be open to the general public to just walk in 🤔
But presumably the children attending had to be able to get in and out?

OP, you’re shocked to be accused of ‘fuelling drama’, yet in the same breath claim that the children thought it was a terrorist attack! Can’t you see the irony?

Namechangeforthiscancershit Sun 10-Mar-19 09:02:31

No one is saying it’s ok. The woman obviously needs a lot of help. But the children will be fine.

1AngelicFruitCake Sun 10-Mar-19 09:02:48

That sounds awful for staff and children.

All you can do is contact the governors to see what is being done about this patent on the premises in future.

hedgehoglurker Sun 10-Mar-19 09:02:56

I imagine the doors were "locked" to prevent unauthorised people getting in, but there would be releasing mechanism on the inside to exit quickly. Standard security in many buildings.
And yes, YABU. It sounds upsetting for those involved, but terrorism and her being armed seems like a huge stretch from the information you've supplied. You shouldn't add fuel to the fire with your child's upset, but instead comfort and reassure.

Celeriacacaca Sun 10-Mar-19 09:03:25

And this is one of these things that you can either make a big deal of to your kids, or you can encourage resilience.

This

Missingstreetlife Sun 10-Mar-19 09:03:48

It will be best for the children to go to school and process it together.

Birdsgottafly Sun 10-Mar-19 09:04:08

Some of the replies are ridiculous.

Do you not live in a Country with knife crime epidemic?

Never heard of, Breach of the Peace, threatening behaviour, Criminal Damage? And a load of other offences that covers the behaviour.

No, the OP can't sue, the Police probably made the appropriate decision.

But it was a serious incident that shouldn't happen with children present.

OscarWildesGreenCarnation Sun 10-Mar-19 09:04:36

This is a school matter in terms of the health and safety procedures, so you should question them. They either evacuated OR there was a lock down, which one was it? Partial lock downs are not really recommended, especially in a situation like that. And yes, I do know what I'm on about!! Just reassure your daughter that the risk was low, and that she's now fine. I would hope the school get back to you on your query....

TrashPanda Sun 10-Mar-19 09:04:39

Our school main doors into reception and then the ones through to the hall are locked if you try then from the outside but can be buzzed open from the inside, that's normal surely so people coming in can be checked. Work has the same.

Talking about terrorism, being armed and being traumatised is completely over top and if you talk to your child in that language you will make it worse.

LovingLola Sun 10-Mar-19 09:05:11

I totally agree that the external perimeter doors of the school should be locked to prevent unauthorised access. But locking internal doors can’t be right surely ?

EdWinchester Sun 10-Mar-19 09:05:35

Sounds like a horrible situation, but you can’t press charges!

Your job is to reassure your child. If they’re traumatised, your histrionics isn’t going to help.

CaptainBrickbeard Sun 10-Mar-19 09:05:49

It sounds terrifying. I don’t know why being frightened by this incident would make anyone ‘that parent’, which incidentally is a disparagement I despise as it’s used to belittle people in a really unpleasant way.

OP, I don’t think you explained it very clearly. I think most people are confused by the scenario and don’t realise that parents weren’t in attendance. So if I understand it correctly, the kids were locked in (as is standard procedure during the school day for safeguarding) and teachers were supervising. A parent showed up and behaved extremely aggressively and broke a window. Yeah, that would be traumatic. I don’t think you can press charges but it sounds extremely upsetting. I would expect her to be banned from the school grounds in future.

I am fascinated to know how on Earth she justified it on WhatsApp later?

CardiganB Sun 10-Mar-19 09:06:27

I would love to be a fly on the wall of that parent Whatsapp group. How did she 'justify her behaviour'?

LovingLola Sun 10-Mar-19 09:06:39

I suppose though each school may have a different system depending on when they were built etc

youarenotkiddingme Sun 10-Mar-19 09:06:45

Fucking hell - MN is full of the unempathetic divs again this morning i see hmm

A hall full of primary aged children was broken into - no one inside knew what was happening or if they were at risk.

And you think those inside are over reacting shock

Shame on most of you.

Unfortunately you cannot press charges personally for the trauma. As you know it's X parent I would be reassuring my child it's that person and they weren't at risk.
I would also be writing to HT to confirm they have used their powers to prevent this parent stepping foot into school property from now on and will be seeking any civil path they need to put this in writing.

cake for your child.

Frecklesonmyarm Sun 10-Mar-19 09:07:10

It wasnt ok.

But you are ignoring poitmnts which makes me think that there is lots of exaggeration.

The schools glass in the doors would be reinforced. Practically impossible for her to kick in.

It may have been scary at the time. However, its now you job to make the child see it for what it was. It wasnt a terrorist attack.

If you really want to do something, sink you money into it and sue her. See if it's worth it the time, money and effort. Ir spend the time showing your child, it's done, it was scary but nothing bad happened or would have happened to them.

And see what you get out of it. You can not force them to bring criminal charges.

CardiganB Sun 10-Mar-19 09:07:13

captainBrickbeard jinx no comebacks

Cyberworrier Sun 10-Mar-19 09:07:36

If this happened where I teach, my first thought would be for the child of this mother. We have no idea what is going on here. Obviously this was a horrible incident for the children and adults inside but have a thought for the family of this woman. SS may already be involved (could be why she is angry with the Head). Her being arrested won’t help safeguard her child, it could just add to the chaos and instability for what is possibly a vulnerable child. I know I’m projecting but I would guess there either is already SS involvement or the mother is having a mental health crisis, in either case not helped by her being arrested.

FamilyOfAliens Sun 10-Mar-19 09:08:08

The being armed bit, I presumed is because she was threatening to kill the headteacher

So who told you this? You said yourself there were no parents present and I can’t imagine any member of staff sharing this information.

whippersnapperwrapper Sun 10-Mar-19 09:08:30

Is she still on the WhatsApp group or have you kicked her off ? Has any parent confronted her about it ?

7yo7yo Sun 10-Mar-19 09:08:45

I think you would be unreasonable to try and sue the parent because, shit happens.
Our schools doors are locked. Standard practice in our whole area.

Those scoffing at the idea of it being a terrorist Attack should think about Dunblabe or schools in America. I’m sure the parents and relatives of those lost in those atrocities would agree with you. Or maybe they wouldn’t.
Reassure your child op.
Keep your child far far away from this woman and her family.
And thank god it wasn’t a terrorist attack.

Lovemusic33 Sun 10-Mar-19 09:08:54

I think you are being a bit dramatic. My dd’s School had a lock down incident a couple years ago and none of the kids were terrified, no one assumed a terrerest attack.

It was a angry parent not a armed gun man in a balaclava. I’m sure the kids will get over it, you can’t protect them from ever seeing a mad angry woman swearing 😐

Frecklesonmyarm Sun 10-Mar-19 09:08:57

No, the OP can't sue, the Police probably made the appropriate decision.

No one says she could. Simply that she could try, if she really feels she HAS to do something to make this woman pay.

7yo7yo Sun 10-Mar-19 09:08:58

Or whoever you want to thank.

Livelovebehappy Sun 10-Mar-19 09:09:30

Are you wanting to sue because you’re genuinely concerned your dc is scarred for life and will need continuing therapy, or is it for the cash? If it’s for the latter, I’m sure one of those ambulance chaser claim firms might take on your case on a no win no fee basis. Not minimising the issue btw, but I’m sure this time next week the kids will have completely forgotten what happened and will have moved on to the next drama.

NewYoiker Sun 10-Mar-19 09:09:42

Sounds horrible. What did she say on WhatsApp?!

ChristinaMarlowe Sun 10-Mar-19 09:10:30

Drama. An angry lady broke a window. She sounds awful but it was dealt with and is over. Was her child at the disco? I imagine they are more "traumatised" and more upset about going in tomorrow due to the shame and sheer embarrasment.

@CountessVonBoobs Are we assuming she "doubtless has fuck as all money" because all crazy/drunk people are on benefits?! Or is it simply that anyone with normal finances is too naice to act like a violent loony?hmm If not can you explain your comment? Bit of a strange thing to say.

Hollowvictory Sun 10-Mar-19 09:10:40

I thought only the police could charge people? You can't 'press charges' because you aren't the victim of a crime. No doubt it was distressing but any charges brought would be for criminal damage and be nothing to do with your child.

StillCoughingandLaughing Sun 10-Mar-19 09:11:04

So who told you this? You said yourself there were no parents present and I can’t imagine any member of staff sharing this information.

The OP also apparently knows that ‘the majority’ of the other children are also ‘traumatised’. And that they thought it was a terrorist attack. All without actually being there.

Perhaps she’s psychic.

JacquesHammer Sun 10-Mar-19 09:11:10

I am not sure why some of you are trying to make out that what this woman did is ok? The kids in that disco ranged from reception to year 6, I don't think anyone has the right to say how they should feel!

Nobody has said what she was ok confused

But at the end of the day, the emergency processes in place worked, no-one was harmed and you can now help your children to feel comfortable going to school.

You say you want to press charges for trauma...how will that help your children get over it?

IceRebel Sun 10-Mar-19 09:11:10

I was wondering the same. Children's accounts aren't really reliable in situations like this. All it would take is for a year 6 to mention killing and there starts the rumours.

I'm also confused that the disco was for children aged 4-11, usually they are split to accommodate different key stage groups.

BollocksToBrexit Sun 10-Mar-19 09:11:13

In answer to your question, no you can't press charges for your child's trauma. You could try and sue her in the civil courts but you would have to prove that your child was tramatised, not just upset, over it. You'd need medical evidence to do that.

mrsmuddlepies Sun 10-Mar-19 09:11:19

I think it is always a shock to parents (and children) when they witness aggression from a parent. I have seen it happen at a Teacher consultation session with all tables in the Hall and a parent physically assaulted a member of staff. It is frightening to watch (and frightening to be the member of staff being attacked). Hospitals, stations etc have warning notices reminding members of the public to be polite to staff. Schools don't generally have these and try hard to be a welcoming, safe place. The trouble is that this kind of aggressive act will make staff less likely to volunteer for social events that are hugely beneficial to children.

BabyKeith Sun 10-Mar-19 09:12:11

OP, I agree this must have been very frightening pupils and staff members. I too am surprised that she wasn’t arrested for communal damage.

I would expect that the HT will move to permanently ban the parent from the school premises. This has happened at my school on a couple of ocassions. We have a zero tolerance policy, and my HT is firm in enforcing it.

As regards the doors being locked, this is entirely normal practice due to safeguard children.

To those saying that it’s a health and safety hazard or breach of fire regulations, this is not so. In my school, in the case of a fire alarm or emergency evacuation, all fobbed doors are automatically released to allow people to safely exit the building.

Hollowvictory Sun 10-Mar-19 09:12:28

I very much doubt the children thought they were being subjected to a terrorist attack 😂😂😂

hardyloveit Sun 10-Mar-19 09:12:45

I actually agree with you op
It would have been very scary! We have just had a letter sent out about a school lockdown etc!
So what if the woman has mh issues - I do but I would never break the glass in a school with a school hall full of children!

Her behaviour is inexcusable whatever her reason!

Hopefully she is banned and prosecuted for criminal damage!

Doors were probably locked for the safety of the children and there would be two doors for fire exits in the hall they were in.

The children and staffed would have been scared - a lot of teachers have had training now on what to do when this happens. Guns, knives, acid attacks and terrorists are an actual thing in the uk. A common thing too!

Inliverpool1 Sun 10-Mar-19 09:12:58

Just because the police didn’t take action there and then doesn’t mean they won’t. You could follow it up with a phone call if you felt the matter was that serious and enquire if your witness statement is required. Chances are the officers knew they were in for a big night and this appeared minor at the time, no threat to the general public but that doesn’t mean she won’t get s knock on the door and a bill for the broken glass

Rosegarden10 Sun 10-Mar-19 09:13:33

FOR THOSE WHO CANT READ - I WASNT THERE!!!!!!!

The CHILDREN especially the older ones were coming out crying saying they thought it was a terror attack. Kids watch the fucking news!!!!! There are posters up in shops and schools in our area about what to do in a terror attack! How thick can you be to assume that children don't know what happens in this world and are not scared by it?!

The blinds in the hall were down as it was a disco and they needed it dark!! Obviously!!! So the children or the staff, at first, couldnt see who it was! It could have been a bloke for all they knew - yes that's sensible to send a member of staff outside when that person could have had a knife or a weapon. Fucking wake up, people carry weapons! The staff must have been terrified not knowing what the hell was going on with some lunatic outside screaming they were going to kill someone!

I cannot believe some of the responses on here - obviously you live in fucking fairy land that you think that people don't go into schools armed and willing to kill people!

Witchofzog Sun 10-Mar-19 09:13:46

No one is saying it's ok. It must have been frightening for your child and other choldren. But pressing charges? Really? As others have said, a brisk conversation about how well the teachers did and how adults do stupid things sometimes when they are angry but the lady is very sorry now etc will do. Pressing charges will just prolong the trauma anyway.

CaptainBrickbeard Sun 10-Mar-19 09:14:03

The children were evacuated in a lockdown procedure; i believe a lot of them found that pretty traumatic. The minimising comments on this thread are bizarre.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »