Talk

Advanced search

AIBU? Hair disaster!

(78 Posts)
Davegrohlsnewwife Wed 21-Mar-18 19:33:25

My friend cuts hair as a mobile hairdresser. I asked her to cut some graduated layers into my long bob, and even showed a pic of what I wanted.

She cuts hair in her dinning room - no mirror - so I couldn't see what she had done until she had finished, and even then, it was a cursory glance as I went out the door.

However when I got home I was horrified! My hair looked like a mullet, the shortest layer is above ear level and looked like a chunk had been hacked off!

I ran to my local salon - the stylist there was quite amazed at the state of it, and showed me properly in the mirror what she had done to me. It had been hacked, chopped, razor ed - it looked like a toddler had done it! The stylist blended the layers properly but could do nothing about the length obviously. She advised it will be at least 10 weeks until it looks reasonable again.

I am so upset. I have to walk around like this. I don't know what to say to my friend. I see her daily on the school run and I can't trust myself to speak to her - i'll either cry or shout at her! I'm so angry at her, and part of me is questioning if she's done this on purpose. Is my reaction unreasonable? I honestly don't know how I can stay friends with her now sad

PlasticWatch Wed 21-Mar-18 19:34:49

Is there any reason why she would do it on purpose?

Davegrohlsnewwife Wed 21-Mar-18 19:39:47

I don't know - if i've done something to upset her she hasn't said - but seriously - she would have seen that she had done a bad job. My friend who saw it was gobsmacked - she said it was truly awful, there's no way she wouldn't have realised. That's why I question if its on purpose?

Hairgician Wed 21-Mar-18 19:39:51

How long has she been hairdressing? How long mobile? Very easy to get slack and complacent with training and upskilling when not 'industry' as in not in a salon. Wouldn't think it was done on purpose, though does sound like possibly inexperience and/or crossed wires over finished look- she's got it wrong. And possibly also just got scissor happy. I'd tell her how you feel about her haircut though. She needs to know. I'd hate to think I'd left any of my clients upset due to bad hair cut. Its a big deal for some people.

TeenagersandFurbabies Wed 21-Mar-18 19:40:33

Ask her for a refund & to pay for the repair cut you had to have at the salon.

Namechangetempissue Wed 21-Mar-18 19:41:22

Did she seem genuinely ok with the cut before you left? Not hurrying you away or panicked? Maybe she thinks she did ok? I can't imagine anyone being vicious enough to ruin a friends hair on purpose. Any chance of a pic?

Changedmaname Wed 21-Mar-18 19:42:17

Do you have a photo OP?

Sparklesocks Wed 21-Mar-18 19:42:22

How awful, did your friend seem shifty or guilty at all? Did she bundle you out? Or was she very relaxed and unaware?

I ask as I once won a head of highlights from a hairdresser in a raffle, she came to my house and tried out some ‘new foils’ - I guess as i wasn’t paying she saw me as a guinea pig. I should’ve guessed something was amiss when she didn’t stay to blow dry it..it looked like a horrible blotchy mess!!

It can be really upsetting to hate your hair so I feel your pain OP, I know it can really affect your confidence.

Sparklesocks Wed 21-Mar-18 19:43:28

And yes it would be interesting to know how long she’s been doing it and what certificates she has

hotcrossbunsandtea Wed 21-Mar-18 19:44:19

Is your friend a trained hairdresser?

Davegrohlsnewwife Wed 21-Mar-18 19:46:04

She said that there was a bit sticking up that I may have tuck behind my ear - but other than that she chatted on as normal. I don't think she would do it on purpose really - but at the state of it, it did make me wonder. I will have to calm down a bit before I can even think about talking to her! Attached photo which was pre salon visit!

Davegrohlsnewwife Wed 21-Mar-18 19:47:49

She is trained - over 20 years - but as a previous poster said, i'm not sure if she's updated her skill set.

RoseWhiteTips Wed 21-Mar-18 20:03:10

You really should attend s salon if you want to get a professional job done. The dining room table thing says it all really.

purplelila2 Wed 21-Mar-18 20:04:51

Op it doesn't look that bad to me honestly.

RoseWhiteTips Wed 21-Mar-18 20:06:02

...a salon

UnicornRainbowColours Wed 21-Mar-18 20:07:37

@RoseWhiteTips rubbish I used to babysit for a mobile hairdresser and she used to dye and cut my hair as payment in her kitchen and she did a fab job.

NotTakenUsername Wed 21-Mar-18 20:08:59

I don’t get it, it looks fine.

DrFoxtrot Wed 21-Mar-18 20:09:54

It looks ok, definitely not mullet like

StepAwayFromGoogle Wed 21-Mar-18 20:10:24

Er, no, those aren't graduated layers. That's like a long fringe?! I'd chalk it up to experience and never go to her again. Can't imagine why she'd do it on purpose - maybe she's just a really bad hairdresser?

Davegrohlsnewwife Wed 21-Mar-18 20:10:40

Well I guess lesson learnt - she has cut it before and I was happy with it then, so I trusted her to do it again. The front short bit is shorter than my ear. I can't even tie it up properly. The pic I showed her had long layers - not short like this.

Mouseville65 Wed 21-Mar-18 20:12:03

Not that bad?! I’d be crying my eyes out if my hair looked like that! No wonder you went straight to a hairdresser. She will know as soon as she sees you that youv had it ‘fixed’ so you’ll have to say something 😬

Davegrohlsnewwife Wed 21-Mar-18 20:14:53

Also, I know hair is a first world problem and there are much more important things to worry about - but hair is one of the first things people notice about you, and front on it looks pretty awful. Thank god hair grows!

NotTakenUsername Wed 21-Mar-18 20:15:03

How much length did she take?

PlateOfBiscuits Wed 21-Mar-18 20:17:51

Can you post the picture you showed her?

Davegrohlsnewwife Wed 21-Mar-18 20:20:05

Maybe I should just avoid her for the 10 weeks it takes to grow out, or move schools, or county, or country . . .

Think I will explain as best as I can that I wasn't happy and had to get it fixed. If she decides to take offence then there's not much I can do. At the end of the day it's nothing like what I asked for (I had a pic!! ) and I don't like it. I will go back to using the salon from now on.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: