Talk

Advanced search

This was a test wasn't it?

(543 Posts)
LadyIrisBarclay Wed 21-Feb-18 20:55:31

And I obviously failed?

Had an interview for a job today. Really, really wanted it as it's my dream role and I so desperately need to get away from current organisation and arse of a boss

It was interview panel of 3 which I had kind of expected but I know my nerves got the better of me.

Anyway, I walked into the boardroom and the 3 interviewers were sat on opposite side of boardroom table. It was quite formal and I was trying not to hyperventilate grin

On my side of the table there was just one chair plus a notepad and pencil and carafe and glass of water. So this was obviously where I was supposed to sit.

I walked in and we all shook hands and then the lady (possibly a PA?) invited me to take a seat - but here's where it all went tit's up!

My chair had a very large and noticeable wet patch on it. I have no idea what it was, possibly water or a spilt cup of tea? I touched it with my fingers and it was very damp.

So I pointed it out to the panel in a casual way, didn't want to make a fuss but just said 'oh dear, something has been spilt on this chair and it's still very damp'. I was assuming someone would offer to go and get another for me as there were no other chairs in the room other than the three they were sitting on.

But no-one offered so I asked whether a replacement could be found. I was told that none were available and the Manager then just asked whether I was ready to get started with the interview??????

I said that yes I was but I couldn't sit in the chair provided, I was really trying to keep it light and breezy, the manager just said that no other chairs were available. This is the UK HQ of a large global organisation in a state of the art building covering 5 floors. Of course there were other fucking chairs available??

I could feel tears building up at this point as there was no way I was going to humiliate myself by having a wet patch on my skirt after the interview.

So I walked out sad - I can't remember now what I said but managed to keep it fairly polite still.

What the actual fuck was I supposed to do? Was this a test?

I have read about organisations such as Apple and Google asking really wanky questions at interviews that I just think is a pile of shite. This was a large organisation in the Financial Services sector though.

It did occur to me afterwards that maybe it was a test and I was supposed to show my initiative by using the notepad they'd provided to cover up the wet patch?

I can't be doing with such arsery though - so very fucking upset this evening sad

Pengggwn Wed 21-Feb-18 20:56:53

Well done. They were twats and who wants to work for people like that?

Seriously, good on you.

flowers

UgandanKnuckles Wed 21-Feb-18 20:58:02

They sound like arseholes that you probably don't want to work for.

Thebluedog Wed 21-Feb-18 20:58:38

I’d not want to be working for a company that would go to such lengths to make a possible candidate feel so uncomfortable.

Asking strange questions is one thing, refusing to get another chair so you don’t have to sit on a wet one is out of order and bloody rude. No I don’t think it was a tedt

ReallyExhaustedLlama Wed 21-Feb-18 20:58:44

To be honest if it was a test would you want to work for the sort of people who would use this sort of trick to catch people out? Surely not a great way to find the best candidate.

SilverHairedCat Wed 21-Feb-18 20:59:36

Please give feedback to the company about this - what ridiculous behaviour on their part.

AnnaleeP Wed 21-Feb-18 21:00:41

They were twats. I'm sorry they ruined your interview.

ChasedByBees Wed 21-Feb-18 21:00:48

That was really rude and unwelcoming. I don’t think it was test, I just think they were mean.

CosmicSpider Wed 21-Feb-18 21:01:08

Get in touch with their HR department and explain. Our HR Dept would inside we interview again and properly if that happened. I would also performance manage any Manager who condition a recruitment process so abysmally.

Boobaloo1 Wed 21-Feb-18 21:01:10

Sound like total bellends op. Well done for walking out

strawberrysparkle Wed 21-Feb-18 21:01:34

How odd! What did you say to leave? I have no idea what I would do in that situation.

NotCornflakes Wed 21-Feb-18 21:02:08

How do you know you didn't pass the test?!Maybe they wanted someone assertive not someone who would meekly sit on a wet chair! wink
Still wouldn't work for them though...

Snowysky20009 Wed 21-Feb-18 21:02:41

I've had lots of interviews for senior roles, however I have never come at odd somethingike this! A panal of 10 overnight a day- yes, a wet chair- nope!
All those I have been interviewed for would have provided a replacement. Probably a good job you didn't get it!

DevilsDoorbell Wed 21-Feb-18 21:02:45

Don’t forget that you are also interviewing them.

HelenTheHunter Wed 21-Feb-18 21:02:51

I declined a place at Bristol because they tried loads of stupid, belittling tactics in the interview.
Either it was a test so they're arseholes, or it wasn't, in which case they're still arseholes as they should've got another chair.

ScattyCharly Wed 21-Feb-18 21:03:26

They were complete twats. You were correct to walk out. Sounds like they are even bigger arseholes than your current boss.

If they call you to ask you back, say no thanks, the organisation is not a good fit for me.

Twats.

Salene Wed 21-Feb-18 21:03:28

Sounds utterly bizarre..?? I’d be ringing to talk to a director and ask what on earth they were playing at.

Pollypudding Wed 21-Feb-18 21:03:35

If it was a test- who wants I work with people trying to mess with your head.
If it wasn’t a test- who wants to work with such rude people.
EIther way a lucky escape and you maintained your integrity and dignity.
Hope you find your dream job with a much nicer company x

Butterandsugar Wed 21-Feb-18 21:04:04

If that's a test it's far more telling about them than you. They sound like a total horror show.

Definitely feed that back if you can. What utter tossers

Acopyofacopy Wed 21-Feb-18 21:04:18

Please do complain about this - how ridiculous!

SussexMedley Wed 21-Feb-18 21:04:38

If that's what they do when you don't even work there...

Red flags to the stratosphere. If they do offer you the job, for the love of God don't take it.

Want2beme Wed 21-Feb-18 21:04:54

Good grief, what a shower. I'd have done the same as you OP.

LadyIrisBarclay Wed 21-Feb-18 21:05:20

CosmicSpider, one of the interview panel was from their HR Department confused.

The only thing I can think of is that perhaps there was a candidate interviewed before me who may have wet themselves and the panel were too mortified to do anything about the chair?

But even that doesn't make sense as you could easily explain it away as a spilt drink and arrange for another chair. No fuss or embarrassment etc. Thats what I would have done.

Will definitely make complaint to their HR team and feedback to panel sad

Forgeteverythingandremember Wed 21-Feb-18 21:06:02

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

BackInTheRoom Wed 21-Feb-18 21:06:18

Maybe the last interviewee was so nervous they had a little wee?! I think you did the right thing. Give them feedback

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: