Talk

Advanced search

Cheeky Swiper!

(16 Posts)
Emerald92 Tue 05-Dec-17 20:34:00

Hi - I've NC'd for this one!

I'm a KS1 teacher and after school today I was catching up on some paperwork when I decided to open the maltesers I'd bought at lunch time.

I was called away from my classroom and left the maltesers on my desk, next to my computer. After a while another teacher came up to me and asked if I'd seen what 'Jonny' has been up to?

Teacher explained that Jonny had left his jumper in class and had gone to retrieve it. Once he retrieved his jumper he then said he'd left something else and went to get that too. Now on the way back this teacher has seen johnny with a mouthful of maltesers that he's pinched from my desk 🙈

Please don't get me wrong I'm not upset and I found it pretty funny but I do think I need to speak to Jonny and address this. The teacher has told me to leave it as he's a good child usually of higher ability and is no trouble.

WWYD? AIBU to have a quiet word, explain that I'm not cross but in the future, he is not to take things that don't belong to him?

TovaGoldCoin Tue 05-Dec-17 20:38:36

I'd tell little Johnny to. Keep his mitts off my maltesers! I would definitely ask him if he thought it was ok to help himself to sweets that weren't his. It's not ok, and you're not BU. X

SendintheArdwolves Tue 05-Dec-17 20:42:18

The other teacher ate them and blamed Johnny.

No doubt.

ijustwannadance Tue 05-Dec-17 20:42:46

Of course you need to have a word.
Unless it was actually the other teacher that pinched them and blamed Jonny. Maybe that's why they said to leave it?grin

Emerald92 Tue 05-Dec-17 20:44:28

Tbf my TA saw Jonny and confirmed the other teacher's version of events! I think he is actually guilty 😂

SendintheArdwolves Tue 05-Dec-17 20:45:09

If I was you I would lay it on to the other teacher about how much you are going to lay into Johnny, how outrageous it is, how you will call his parents in, how maybe the school should do a special assembly on stealing, how he will have to apologise publicly, wear a sign all day that says "I steal malteasers", etc, etc. Eventually you will force her to crack and fess up grin

SendintheArdwolves Tue 05-Dec-17 20:47:29

..cross post.

If you're 100% sure it was Johnny, fuck it, just leave it. Yes, yes, it's wrong to steal, but he yielded to a momentary temptation. We all do from time to time. This isn't going to be the turning point that leads him to a life of crime or anything.

WhispersOfWickedness Tue 05-Dec-17 22:11:57

I could definitely imagine my DC1 doing something like this... 🙈😳 And would really appreciate being told so that I could tell him off for it myself!
Fairly confident it's not mine though as his little sister would have got wind of it and she would definitely delight in telling me what he'd done 🙈😂

Welshmaenad Tue 05-Dec-17 22:14:13

I thought this was going to be about the masked fox from Dora the Explorer. Motherhood has ruined my brain.

kaitlinktm Tue 05-Dec-17 22:22:15

I don't understand why anyone would just leave it. OK don't make a huge issue of it or involve parents, but I think you should at least mention it to him and say that you aren't very pleased that he helped himself.

If you had been at your desk you might have offered him one, but he shouldn't just help himself. (Especially as he went in twice and took handfuls!)

gobster Tue 05-Dec-17 22:36:39

There was a post on here recently about a child taking sweets without asking that were in the open and majority of people didn’t see it as stealing

But swap malteasers for pound coins and people wouldn’t laugh it off, a child still helped them self to something that wasn’t theirs and worse from a figure of authority.

Don’t get me wrong I imagine it would be funny to tell a kid off for it but the principle is still wrong!

eastlondoner Tue 05-Dec-17 22:37:45

I would just casually ask him if he enjoyed them and leave it at that. That way he knows he was rumbled. smile

Emerald92 Tue 05-Dec-17 22:55:50

I like that suggestion @eastlondoner. Was thinking of addressing the whole class about it and how we mustn't take what isn't ours.

ilovesooty Tue 05-Dec-17 22:58:47

What has his higher ability to do with it?
Of course he shouldn't be helping himself.

thewisestoldelf Tue 05-Dec-17 23:06:57

If he'd steal maltesers what else would he steal?

MyKidAreTakingMySanity Tue 05-Dec-17 23:37:25

I definitely think stealing, no matter how big or small needs addressing. If a child is allowed to get away with the little things like Malteasers, there where is the limit? I'm not saying his next move is carjackings and muggings but ignoring it is not setting the kid up well.

If it were one of my kids I'd want them absolutely bollocking, never mind a quiet word.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now