Talk

Advanced search

To think most parents these days don't consider their baby's names for when they are adults..

(381 Posts)
LondonAnne5 Wed 22-Nov-17 14:42:56

Just that really.

I've lost count of the amount of times I've seen someone post a picture on their feed of their newborn with a name that is either really, really different or something that the child may not enjoy being called in the future when they are a teenager/adult...

E.g. Billi Mucklow naming her new baby boy Wolf Nine. It's different, yes and okay when he is a baby but I'm just imagining a professional middle aged businessman named Wolf and can't picture it.

I grew up with a very different name that is often mispronunced and is also a bit "babyish" for my age now which I do find awkward in a professional environment.
AIBU and alone in thinking this?

cheesydoesit Wed 22-Nov-17 14:47:36

Oh, I dunno. I just met a toddler called Alan today!

LondonAnne5 Wed 22-Nov-17 14:48:04

@cheesydoesit you win 😂

Splinterz Wed 22-Nov-17 14:48:28

The father in this instance named the baby from what I read. Nine is Andy Carrolls shirt number.

These people will all go to school together, inherit vast tranches of wealth and move in the same circles. I don't see Brooklyn hindered, nor Romeo and I doube Cruz and Half Past Seven grin will be inconvenienced either. If they are they can simply change their name from Zowie to Duncan.

cheesydoesit Wed 22-Nov-17 14:48:30

And I know a Professor called Candy.

Ttbb Wed 22-Nov-17 14:48:50

I would imagine that a lot if parents aren't expecting their children to grow up to be professionals maybe?

Needadvicetoleave Wed 22-Nov-17 14:49:10

Thing is, the more common these names become, the more normal they'll be by the time the child grows up.

Pandrawerschangedmylife Wed 22-Nov-17 14:49:19

The world is split into people who love unusual names and people who hate them. I have an unusual name. My kids are called Marnie and Jude. I'm definitely on the more unusual side of the naming spectrum but would never dream of choosing a name I didn't really love just in case they want to be an accountant.

MissBax Wed 22-Nov-17 14:50:07

Wolf Nine?!?! 😂😂😂

OuchBollocks Wed 22-Nov-17 14:50:56

Had to Google billie mucklow. I don't think TOWIE types, or slebs in general, are representative of normal people. Most of the children I know are of the Evie/ Eva/Elizabeth/ Charlotte or Harry/William/George/Samuel varieties.

araiwa Wed 22-Nov-17 14:51:08

Maybe he will grow up to be a CNN news anchor for over 30 years.

PurpleTraitor Wed 22-Nov-17 14:52:24

You went from one example, to ‘most parents’?

From what I can see, most parents put a lot of thought into naming their children. Personally, I did the prime minister test for mine (put the name into a news anchor commentary mentioning the prime minister or president and see if it looks or sounds odd)

Most people don’t call their kids Daisy-Belle and Rock-Star.

Needadvicetoleave Wed 22-Nov-17 14:52:42

But yes, it was a consideration for me - could I imagine a surgeon, director, 'big wig' with my child's name.

Bambamber Wed 22-Nov-17 14:55:07

I don't understand why parents come up with unusual names or unusual spellings for common names, then get annoyed when people don't know how to pronounce it or spell it.

I do agree with you, I see some names and it's difficult to keep a straight face. But I reckon by the time the kids are older, it will be so common to have an unusual name that it won't be too much of a problem

elQuintoConyo Wed 22-Nov-17 14:55:10

<phew> so my DS Ron Burgundy Smith is ok?

cheesydoesit Wed 22-Nov-17 14:55:26

Ooh I love Marnie and Jude! Yes, I thought Alan was a very brave choice. grin I liked it. He's definately the youngest I have met by at least 30 odd years. Now to see if Keith or Derek make a comeback. Perhaps in a few more decades? I find name trends quite interesting.

Splinterz Wed 22-Nov-17 14:55:38

Yup, I have to say, if the same didnt sit nicely as Chairman of the Bank of England, it wasnt happening in our house either.

But Im sure the parents of little Beyonce and Jaiden-Kai, or indeed Kaiden-Jay have similar aspirations for the fruit of their loins. And yes, I am a snob grin

fruitbrewhaha Wed 22-Nov-17 14:56:13

By the time these babies are grown up, there will be no jobs. It will all be carried out by intelligent robots. So we may as well call them what we like.

SandyY2K Wed 22-Nov-17 14:56:30

A woman had the name she wanted for her child refused...she was crazy... she chose the name Cyanide

That's extreme... but some parents just don't think sensibly.

JacquesHammer Wed 22-Nov-17 14:56:53

I don't know really.

I named my DD after an adult (albeit a long dead one) so she passes the test.

I absolutely love unusual names though - if I ever have a miracle, there will be some eyebrow raising I'm sure (and a nice plain middle name for them to choose if they wish to in the future)

dannydyerismydad Wed 22-Nov-17 14:57:25

I have indeed met a baby Derek.

And I know a school age Alan. It's making a comeback!

fruitbrewhaha Wed 22-Nov-17 14:58:48

<phew> so my DS Ron Burgundy Smith is ok?
As will my DD Veronica Corningstone

OKKOKIE Wed 22-Nov-17 15:00:39

i'm one of those terrible people who want to call my daughter james. My OH prays for a boy.

No1blueengine Wed 22-Nov-17 15:01:28

i think this every time i meet a child called Alfie, Teddy, Harry, Dottie, Lottie etc etc or other diminutives given as a whole first name.

Just cant wrap my mind around Supreme Court Justice Alfie Smith. Give them a proper grown up name and just call them the diminutive until they grow into it.

TheLegendOfBeans Wed 22-Nov-17 15:02:17

I slightly have the opposite. My children have the names of imposing biblical characters because I don’t like shortening names unless the person asks me to.

So when you hear - say - Jedediah or Ezekiel you’d expect a bearded old sage, not a bonny bouncy, dribbly bundle of cuddles grin

Awwlookatmybabyspider Wed 22-Nov-17 15:02:25

Awwww a toddler called Alan.
That's beyond cute.

LaurieMarlow Wed 22-Nov-17 15:02:31

Names are becoming more diverse. Deal with it. it'll probably sound normal in 20 years time.

And there's no need to name your child to join the world's most conservative profession. I work in a fairly trendy, pretty lucrative type job and my company would be much more interested in a Daisy-Bell than a Catherine.

TheLegendOfBeans Wed 22-Nov-17 15:03:05

Ps: I want to meet Toddler Alan. He’s a legend in the making I’m sure.

LaurieMarlow Wed 22-Nov-17 15:03:21

I met a baby called Frank the other day. 'Twas very odd. grin

AnnabellaH Wed 22-Nov-17 15:03:49

Marnie and Jude are not unusual. Sorry hmm

They're quite common names (as in used, not grotty). I even went to school in the 90's with a Marnie and a Jude in my class in seniors.

Redguitar2 Wed 22-Nov-17 15:04:07

Oh, I dunno. I just met a toddler called Alan today!

😂 Too funny. I've never met one but it's like Barry. Who would call their baby Barry?

No1blueengine Wed 22-Nov-17 15:04:11

I love James for a girl. I really wanted to call my DD2 Cameron but my DH just couldn't see it. I like unusual names but they have to work in society. Wolf Nine sounds cool but also like a Star Trek episode.

TheWhyteRoseShallRiseAgain Wed 22-Nov-17 15:04:20

I have 2 dds one with a very traditional name one with a slightly unusual but not very (have met 3 adults with it all under 30) and would pass the prime minister test. Many seem to love dd2s name the only thing I do have is I really don't like any of the short forms so refuse any pet names for her (although people have a habit of doing that with my name which I hate and dhs which actually makes his longer confused so just why?)

Coconutspongexo Wed 22-Nov-17 15:04:34

In the barbers the other day a woman had two boys one about 5 the other about 7 Storm and Tater, she was asked what their real names are, she proceeded to say they are their real names.

She then asked me what my sons name was and said it was weird and wonder what happened to names like ‘Keith’ .. my has a very ’normal’ name

BabsGangoush Wed 22-Nov-17 15:06:16

The Right Honorable Pebbles Beckham

Brigadier General Timmy Thompson

Vice-President Civil Division of the Court of Appeal Lulu-Belle Hammond

The Most Reverend and Right Hon The Lord Archbishop of Canterbury Blue-Monday Brown

RhiannonOHara Wed 22-Nov-17 15:06:26

Well, in the circles Wolf moves and will move in, his name will probably sound totally unremarkable.

I've no idea who Billi M is.

ShellyBoobs Wed 22-Nov-17 15:06:31

Why on earth would anyone give their child a name that is absolutely guaranteed to invite years of pisstaking?

Anyone saying, “ooh I love an unusual name...” should consider that children are people not toys, or pets.

VioletHaze Wed 22-Nov-17 15:07:32

Eh. Zowie Bowie seems to be doing ok

TheLegendOfBeans Wed 22-Nov-17 15:07:34

Anyone saying, “ooh I love an unusual name...” should consider that children are people not toys, or pets.

[abandons “Rover” as name for future DS2]

Coconutspongexo Wed 22-Nov-17 15:08:19

I think some people on MN have a weird idea of what is an unusual name, whenever people post that on baby names it’s normally followed by is ‘Miley’ too unusual or is ‘Arlo’ too unusual .. they’re not.

Butterymuffin Wed 22-Nov-17 15:09:17

Annabella er, I think that was the poster's point. She said she had an unusual name so she gave her kids normal names, was how I read it.

LondonAnne5 Wed 22-Nov-17 15:09:22

@ShellyBoobs my point exactly. My name was difficult for me in school as it was used to take the piss out of me until I made up my own nickname and that started to spread which I'm still called because it's less embarrassing than my normal name! Now in my 30's I can see people thinking "eh?" to themselves when I introduce myself at work. I love my parents but I had no idea what they were thinking grin

ArcheryAnnie Wed 22-Nov-17 15:11:07

I have relatives who have specifically chosen baby names with an eye on the future. Specifically, names which would help avoid their children's CVs being weeded out at the longlist stage, for appearing not to be white names. This has meant, obviously, not being able to choose to name their babies after most family members. This is really sad (and angry-making) in a lot of ways, though they've chosen lovely names, and I totally understand their reasoning.

(I chose an existing family name that is amazingly race- and religion-neutral for my kid!)

ILoveMillhousesDad Wed 22-Nov-17 15:13:12

Apart from the fact he changed his name to Duncan Jones.

Hmmalittlefishy Wed 22-Nov-17 15:14:04

No1 how do you know those children aren't being called the nickname from a longer name I would imagine lots are

Considering the amount of threads and angst just on mumsnet about baby names I think the majority of people do think carefully about names

The high court judge argument doesn't really stand up though because all those children will grow up together so judge Alfie and barrister lottie will be completely normal for that generation and old people names (our Ethel, Stanley generation) will be called David, Keith's, Clare, sharon

Squeee Wed 22-Nov-17 15:14:05

@area Wolf Blitzer was my first thought too smile I didn't really think about names to suit an accountant or judge when I names my dc, just names we liked that were not likely to be causes of piss-taking in school, sensible ones that weren't of exes/people we weren't keen on or celebrities. They weren't very popular when we chose them but soon after became very popular (oops) at the time

brasty Wed 22-Nov-17 15:14:06

I have a surname that is always spelt wrong. I would never choose unusual spellings for children, its just a pain.

Coconutspongexo Wed 22-Nov-17 15:14:18

& asked to go by the name Joey whilst he was in school (Zowie)

Mxyzptlk Wed 22-Nov-17 15:14:55

He's called Duncan Jones.

en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Duncan_Jones

ShellyBoobs Wed 22-Nov-17 15:14:58

I’m also slightly confused at the pp who said they wouldn’t not give their child a name they wanted to in case it affected their chance of being an accountant.

Surely we try to give our children as much chance of getting on, in whatever field they choose, as we can?

I cannot fathom deliberately calling a child a name that you think might hinder them in life just because it will entertain you or (pressumably) gain ‘cool points’ on social media. It’s bizarre.

choli Wed 22-Nov-17 15:15:05

I find it strange when people choose a baby name to "go with" that of a sibling. Do you really think that when the kids grow up it is going to matter if their names "go together"? Wouldn't it make more sense to choose a name based on each child rather than trying to make them a cutesy "set"?

Mia1415 Wed 22-Nov-17 15:16:30

When I was choosing my DS's name (and struggling!) a friend told me that I needed to pick something that would work for him if he turned out to be either a CEO or a builder. Good advice!

LondonAnne5 Wed 22-Nov-17 15:17:33

I'm thinking about a professional environment but I'm also thinking about being in school with an unusual name. It was really hard for me and was something I really considered when naming my LO. Just for record, I think most names are lovely, even those that are slightly out of the ordinary but I'm referencing to when parents go overboard and use something that isn't even a name/is pronounced or spelt incorrectly all of the time/is completely out of the box. I just remember how hard it was for me and how bloody hard it still is now!

brasty Wed 22-Nov-17 15:18:28

A friend called her DD Candy. A cute baby name, but not for an adult.

Mamabear4180 Wed 22-Nov-17 15:18:36

There are so many reasons why parents name their child an unusual name or spelling. YABU if you have never stopped to consider that.

Some names hold special meaning
Some names are spelt differently to incorporate initials or nicknames of deceased loved ones
Some names are a special place or significant event, a particular meaning
Some names are the actual names of people the parents want to honor
Traditional names may be your cup of tea but are boring or uninspiring to others

As for the profession in the future, you can worry too much about that. It's not the only thing that would hold someone back from getting the career they want. With the right attitude people can do anything whatever their name is. (I do think names make an impact though)

As an aside some names are ridiculous but that includes some traditional names too IMO!

24carrot Wed 22-Nov-17 15:18:51

My three have very trad names. I just wanted them to be classless and neutral really so they can be anything they want when they're older and fit into different social circles easily. I think too many people think giving their kids unusual names makes them and their kids more interesting or creative people somehow - it can be a bit narcisstic and try-hard imo!

CrochetBelle Wed 22-Nov-17 15:19:35

Maybe some of us are okay with our kids growing up to be strippers rather than politicians?

itsgoodtobehome Wed 22-Nov-17 15:19:45

Awwww I love that that baby is called Alan. That’s my Dad’s name and it is definitely not common anymore (he iś 75!!).

lookingforthecorkscrew Wed 22-Nov-17 15:22:37

There’s a mum on Instagram with kids called Diesel and River-Four. I wonder if the gov could offer her a generous part-exchange to a more environmentally friendly name for the former kid. The latter is just doomed to a life of trying to explain its name away to everybody.

drspouse Wed 22-Nov-17 15:22:44

I find it strange when people choose a baby name to "go with" that of a sibling.
I can kind of see why if you have a Mary you wouldn't want a Marie or a Mark i.e. names that are too close/clashing.
I know a pair of siblings called Lucas and Lucia which seems... pointless. Not twins.

lookingforthecorkscrew Wed 22-Nov-17 15:23:13

Toddler Alan is my new hero!

Awwlookatmybabyspider Wed 22-Nov-17 15:23:36

Full agree, Itsgood. I think its an adorable and unique name for a baby
My dad was also an Alan. He was named after Alan Laddgrin

EsmeWeatherwax Wed 22-Nov-17 15:24:29

There's a three year old Barry in my street. I haven't met any small Dereks yet. People can name their kids what they want I guess, but having worked for an architect with a very difficult to spell surname and spelling it out every time I phoned a supplier etc, I'd be wary of diverse spellings.

splendide Wed 22-Nov-17 15:27:04

I know a toddler Bert.

I also know an Effie who is a boy - to me it’s a wee old lady name.

MimpiDreams Wed 22-Nov-17 15:27:42

Another name making a come back is Vera. I've met 2 baby Veras this year.

TookyClothespin Wed 22-Nov-17 15:28:26

We put a lot of thought into our DD's names. Both are perfectly legitimate, normal names.
DD1's name is more popular than we initially realised, but has many spelling variants. We chose the original spelling but lots of people get it wrong! DD1 will probably hate us for that as we have an unusual surname.
DD2's name is not common/popular, but is well known. Apparently people still spell it wrong.
Both pass the baby-child-adult-elderly test.

clarabellski Wed 22-Nov-17 15:28:50

Didn't RTFT but I'd fucking love to be called Wolf

TheLegendOfBeans Wed 22-Nov-17 15:30:16

Wouldn’t you rather be Jet or Lightning @clarabellski?

Rebeccaslicker Wed 22-Nov-17 15:30:52

Roald Dahl's daughter Olivia had the middle name Twenty - and she was named in the 1950's!

DarlesChickens61 Wed 22-Nov-17 15:32:14

My personal hate is parents who call their ds Jamie. Jamie is fine for a 5 year old. Plain old James is much more adult. Saying that I met a Wilf and an Etta last week...... Naming a baby is such a conundrum right?

brasty Wed 22-Nov-17 15:32:38

Of the names we chose, one we were a bit worried was unusual - it is now seen as a common or "chav" name. The other we thought of as more of a black name, it is now seen as posh.

Eolian Wed 22-Nov-17 15:33:31

To think most parents these days don't consider their baby's names for when they are adults..

Most parents? Really?! I'm a teacher and the majority of children I teach still have pretty normal names. Not all, but definitely the majority.

brasty Wed 22-Nov-17 15:33:46

Rebecca I am in my mid fifties. The unwritten rule with baby names used to be that they were either family names, or the name you really wanted to call your kid but thought better off.

Coconutspongexo Wed 22-Nov-17 15:34:48

I know lots of adults called Jamie I don’t think that is a kids name.

clarabellski Wed 22-Nov-17 15:36:51

😂

LunasSpectreSpecs Wed 22-Nov-17 15:43:41

There's a difference between an unusual name and a ridiculous name.

Names mentioned like Marnie, Veronica, Derek, Alan or other less fashionable names like Ruth, Kelly, Sharon, Paul or Gary are unusual but are not out there weird.

People who call their children things like Bluebell-Fawn, Maddyson-Dyamonds, Hiya, Spartacus and Dodge are indeed setting their children up for ridicule. And I didn't make those up - real names given to babies in Scotland in 2014.

Fluffycloudland77 Wed 22-Nov-17 15:44:28

One of my colleagues gave her pfb an alternative name, banged on & on about what an advantage having this unusual name would give the child on its ucas form etc. Next two kids had very normal names no ones going to look twice at so either she's over it or she's fed up of explaining her child's name.

ImAMarshmellow Wed 22-Nov-17 15:45:09

I know a baby called Earnest. I can’t get my head round it being for anyone under the age of 80.

I do agree that teddy, belle, bear etc is fine for toddlers or young children, but doesn’t really work as well for adults.

I doubt wolf nine is going to require a proper job.

LondonAnne5 Wed 22-Nov-17 15:46:08

@LunasSpectreSpecs yes my name is along those lines which is why I never, ever use it and also the names I were referring to in my OP! I have seen so many of them recently. sad

grannytomine Wed 22-Nov-17 15:46:31

Isn't it great that Alan is now the unusual name. Soon all babies will be called wayout names like Susan or John. It will be so strange.

upperlimit Wed 22-Nov-17 15:48:10

It's interesting because I read that title and I assumed it would be about some of the names that you see on the names board that, I think, go out of their way to signpost their class, first and foremost.

I won't say which names in particular because I don't need to go out of my way to offend anyone. But I do think that some names might make you stick out if life doesn't work out the way your parents imagined.

Eleast Wed 22-Nov-17 15:48:38

My two boys are named after dc superhero’s (their real name not the superhero name!) and they are not common but not silly sounding either. Our youngest especially would make a nice PM name!
What Im not keen on is the baby names the Evie’s that when she’s 30-40 will sound a bit daft. But it’s personal presence I’m pretty sure some people might not like our choices but they aren’t stupid names. As long as it’s not princess conseula banana hammock it’s fine

DarlesChickens61 Wed 22-Nov-17 15:49:41

I know lots of adults called Jamie I don’t think that is a kids name

I love it for a girl or young child. It grips my shit for an older boy/adult tho....I don't know why?? I much prefer Wilf grin

WhooooAmI24601 Wed 22-Nov-17 15:49:41

I know a baby called Earnest. I can’t get my head round it being for anyone under the age of 80

I know an Ernie who is 6, with a brother called Walter. Two of the nicest boys I know, and I love their names!

My two have solid, old-fashioned names that I just loved. People on MN have often said "how dull to give your DC a name used by other people" so you really can't win. If you give them a crazy name you're in the wrong, if you give them an old-fashioned name you're also in the wrong. I like to think both DCs could be Kings or bin men with their names and not seem out of place.

grannytomine Wed 22-Nov-17 15:50:54

What is a black name?

AuntieStella Wed 22-Nov-17 15:53:27

The reason to choose sibling names that don't actively fight each other is because you will be yelling the names together across the park, signing Christmas cards, introducing them to people etc for the next couple of decades.

Actually, I think the 'how will it sounds yelled across the playground' is one of the more useful tests of whether you can really live with a name, whether for one DC or the set of names if you have another.

AskingForAnEnemy Wed 22-Nov-17 15:55:20

Nothing wrong with the name Jamie. Wilf is ridiculous.

KindergartenKop Wed 22-Nov-17 15:55:21

Fox Mulder is doing fine.

Dustbunny1900 Wed 22-Nov-17 15:55:59

Wolf blitzer is middle aged and seems to be doing ok with that name

Farahilda Wed 22-Nov-17 15:56:51

"What is a black name?"

Ebony and Layla, by meaning (there are probably other, but they don't spring to mind).

Also the Ghanaian 'day' names, and others which are common in certain ethnic groups which have not (yet) transitioned into general use.

sminkypinky Wed 22-Nov-17 15:57:55

There's a toddler Alan at my DS nursery (must be making a comeback), there's a Sandra in the preschool there too.

Marcine Wed 22-Nov-17 15:58:34

I know under 5s called Trevor, Martin and Colin grin

brasty Wed 22-Nov-17 16:00:24

By a black name, I simply meant that I had only ever heard black girls named this. Never any white girls. So I was worried the name on CVs might invite racism. Never anticipated that it would be seen as posh now.

DarlesChickens61 Wed 22-Nov-17 16:02:19

Nothing wrong with the name Jamie. Wilf is ridiculous

Wilf is not a name I would choose I agree. But if Wilf was number 190 on my list Jamie would be 500th - or never. More than likely never!

MrsJayy Wed 22-Nov-17 16:02:42

When i first left school in the 80s I worked in a nursery you couldn't move forKylie's i had a Dr kylie afew months ago these kids are not their name I don't see why you can't have a judge Alfie or whatever

DiegoMadonna Wed 22-Nov-17 16:03:32

Why do so many people on these threads always seem to imagine their kids as middle-aged business men/women? Maybe Billi Mucklow (whoever that is) has different aspirations for her child.

How about this...

Why do people pick such boring names for their kids? It's okay when he is a baby but I'm just imagining a talented young artist called Henry Johnson and can't picture it

MrsJayy Wed 22-Nov-17 16:04:55

Simon Cowells son is Eric I am sure Eric will do just fine in life

Awwlookatmybabyspider Wed 22-Nov-17 16:05:21

50 years down the line, though.
People will be saying on here.
I met a baby Ava/Oliver today. I haven't heard that in years

MerlinsScarf Wed 22-Nov-17 16:06:37

Some languages have brilliant terms for the names mentioned by Luna, that translate roughly as 'sparkly names'. A variant on youneek I suppose, but quite a nice description.

Lovestonap Wed 22-Nov-17 16:07:16

I just love how names come in and out of fashion, and how we all think we are not influenced by that fashion.

When I was pregnant with my first I was determined to call her Amelie, thought it sounded rare and chic and French (I am none of those things) then a friend had an Amelie, and then another friend had one, and then another friend had an Amelia (It should also be mentioned at this point that the baby turned out to be a boy). Our original boy names was also used several times over by the time ds was born. No problem at all, but just goes to show that what I thought was me being original and old fashioned was just me being influenced by some sort of hegemonic process with names, as everyone else was.

Daughter was easier to name when she came along - named after my grandma - Rosalie. We always intended to call her Rosie, but as there are a million other Rosie's in her class she is now called by her full name at school.

We're none of us original smile There is nothing new on this Earth.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: