Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

To beg for a slow cooker pork recipe?

(21 Posts)
bottlesandcans Sun 29-Oct-17 17:02:55

Hi everyone.
I have a 6 week old dd and I'm dyslexic and looking for recipes online are quite difficult for me. My DH is out the house 7-7 every day and does all the night wakings wiyh baby so I am desperate to make something lovely for him.
we bought a slow cooker today (£17.99 in Aldi!) can anyone give me a recipe for a large piece of pork? I'd like to do it tomorrow while my husband is at work for him. I'm a veggie so not clued up on meat recipes.

steff13 Sun 29-Oct-17 17:05:25

I'd just dump a bottle of barbecue sauce on it and make pulled pork sandwiches.

tshirtsuntan Sun 29-Oct-17 17:08:26

It's nice chopped up with Apples and onions, chopped up too. Few herbs, stock cube or pot, salt and pepper. Serve with mash, carrots and greens.

ThisMorningWentBadly Sun 29-Oct-17 17:08:34

Chop up an onion, some celery and some carrots. ( add optional Sage)

Put in slow cooker.

Put pork on top.

Add apple juice or cider.

Season.

Cook for hours and hours and hours on low heat.

endofthelinefinally Sun 29-Oct-17 17:10:08

I like slow cooked pork in cider.
You need a decent quality small bottle of cider.
A couple of chopped onions, a sprinkle of sage, a bay leaf, a sliced apple, salt and pepper.
Chuck it all in and let it cook until the pork is falling apart.
Lovely with baked potatoes and peas.

Rinceoir Sun 29-Oct-17 17:12:01

I’m a big fan of this. I put the dry rub on the pork joint, then pop in slow cooker on low for 8 hours or so. Make the sauce later and mix with the pork and some of the juices. Delicious. I generally make coleslaw, corn on the cob and serve with bread rolls.

Etymology23 Sun 29-Oct-17 17:14:23

Seconding pulled pork. I do my own BBQ sauce or I think it would be nice with a hoisin or soy type one.

I get the meat out once it's done, cut the fat off the outside, pull it with two carving forks (could use normal forks) and then reduce/thicken the liquid it's cooked in using cornflour (which I mix to liquid outside the main dish, then add to the sauce - to stop it going lumpy) and heating it on the stove. Then return the de-fatted, pulled pork to the now-thickened sauce and keep hot til serving time!

Lovely with crusty bread.

Happy to send a photo of my "BBQ " pulled pork recipe if you'd like, does have about a million ingredients though :p

NotTheMrMenAgain Sun 29-Oct-17 17:14:26

Put a thin layer of brown sugar in the bottom of the slow cooker, put meat in, pat more sugar on the top and sides of the meat and cook on low for 8 hours or medium for 5 or so hours.

Or you could use a bit of apple juice in place of sugar, but if you use sugar you're more likely to get nice, caramelised edges.

Or, make a mix of salt, pepper, smoked paprika and cajun spice mix - or any spices you like. Rub them all over the meat and leave for as long as you can. Then put a good dollop of BBQ sauce in the bottom of the slow cooker and a tiny bit of water, just to cover the bottom, and cook the meat as above.

Any of these will be nice shredded up - makes a good hot meal with veg the first day, and meat rolls or meat and chips / jacket spuds the next day.

Katedotness1963 Sun 29-Oct-17 17:22:38

Put the pork in with a bottle of barbecue sauce and some apples sauce. Cook, shred, pulled pork sandwiches. I make red cabbage coleslaw to go with mine.

Penfold007 Sun 29-Oct-17 17:27:15

I do a pulled pork dish which my family seem to love. Put a base of roughly chopped onion and celery in the base of the slow cooker, if you haven't got any it really doesn't matter. Add a can of Dr Pepper and cook for 5 hours on high. Remove the meat and take off as much of the fat as possible, shred with two forks. If there is lots of liquid left in the pot pour most of it away. Return the meat to the pot along with any onions and celery add a bottle of your favourite BBQ sauce and let it heat through. Serve with soft buns, chips, jacket spuds or anything that takes your fancy. Coleslaw is nice as a side dish. Left overs are scrummy hot or cold.

19lottie82 Sun 29-Oct-17 17:30:42

If it’s a big joint it will take a long time. I find at least 8 hours, I’ve even cooked one for 12 hours on low before.
You will know when it’s ready as it should just pull apart really easily, even at the middle of the joint.

Candlelight234 Sun 29-Oct-17 17:35:43

Tin of chopped tomatoes
Chopped onion
Chopped carrots
Celery
Tin of mixed beans
Small bit of garlic
Stock cube, pepper
Paprika
Small bit of tumeric
Bit of water & tomato paste
Cubes of pork
Coom for hours , and mux it up & pull apart. Serve with rice for super easy dinner. You could add a touch of BBQ sauce for extra BBQ flavour.

steffibabes Sun 29-Oct-17 17:44:46

I buy a fairly fatty pork rib joint from my local market and put it in the slow cooker for at least 8 hours on low, longer if I can. I turn it over occasionally as the fat collects in the bottom. The meat falls apart and is soooo tasty. Then I shred it and serve it with salad, bread etc

bottlesandcans Sun 29-Oct-17 17:55:04

So if I were to put pork, cider, shallots, red cabbage, carrots and cider in the slow cooker would it be okay?

Do I need to pre sear the meat or onions?

bottlesandcans Sun 29-Oct-17 18:10:23

How much cider?

endofthelinefinally Sun 29-Oct-17 18:38:40

300 - 370 ml. A usually buy a bottle approximately half the size of a bottle of wine. I would rather use less of a decent brand than more of the cheap stuff.

sashh Sun 29-Oct-17 18:42:04

Easiest is to just put it in the SC, no water or anything and leave it on all day.

Not sure on latest advice but I always cook joints/whole chicken on high.

If you do use onions etc no need to pre fry - just stick it in but make sure any liquid you add is hot.

Idrinkandiknowstuff Sun 29-Oct-17 18:47:06

This. Trust me!

www.100daysofrealfood.com/recipe-best-pulled-pork-crock-pot/

Keepthebloodynoisedown Sun 29-Oct-17 18:57:55

Pulled pork wraps:
Dry rub of salt, sugar, paprika, cumin on the pork (trim the fat off first- I usually make crackling)
Roughly chopped onion, garlic, a can of full fat coke, pork all go in the slow cooker for 6/8 hours.
Discard liquid and onions. Shred the pork and add loads of bbq sauce.
I serve in wraps with caramised onions, roasted red pepper, crackling, and cheese.

19lottie82 Sun 29-Oct-17 19:51:55

Carrots? Celery? In pulled pork? What the????? shock

Candlelight234 Sun 29-Oct-17 19:59:14

lol it's a slimming world recipe- upping the veg content.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now