Talk

Advanced search

...to think Coronation Street is beyond ridiculous? *SPOILER ALERT*

(26 Posts)
yawning801 Fri 22-Sep-17 21:28:01

This is my first AIBU so please bear with me. I'm also spitting pips right now.

I've watched and loved Coronation Street for my whole life, on and off. But I've had it. I search up spoilers, I admit, and this is why I'm so angry.

I was trying to explain this to my DF just now, but honestly I don't know if any of it was actually comprehended! I was trying to explain Pat Phelan and what he's going to be getting up to this autumn (according to The Sun). The best I could manage was:

"So, there's this man who conned someone out of a business and blackmailed the businessman's wife into sleeping with him. He got back last year, was part of a scam involving new houses, but it all backfired on him when his partner in crime ran off with the money. In February he supposedly murdered someone who knew about it but now it's resurfaced that he's been keeping him hostage for seven months. He's now trying to keep this a secret from his new wife and long-lost daughter from an affair. And now-" SPOILER ALERT "-he's going on a murdering spree of six people, including his blackmail victim!"

My point is, Corrie is supposed to be a family soap. I watched it when I was little. But little kids watching it now are being taught that there's a murderer/stalker around every corner, they can't even trust their own parents for fear of discovering a dirty secret or two (think of little Liam and Maria in a few years time), they can't trust the police (think Michelle's stalker, Bethany's grooming etc etc...) and life is just one big scary mystery.

AIBU in thinking that Corrie is going to turn its watchers into paranoid people in the near future? What's happened to the humour?

I know it's pointless in the grand scheme of things, but I'm an angry mess at the moment and I'm not expecting replies to my long and angry rant. Sorry about this!

SpongeBobJudgeyPants Fri 22-Sep-17 21:32:46

Agree. It started to lose it a bit for me when Emily went up a tree on the Red Rec to stop them chopping it down.

PeaceAndLove1 Fri 22-Sep-17 21:36:28

I've stopped watching it, well, tele in general really. Mind you, did you ever see the very first episode of Coronation Street, they put it on again a few years ago, I was surprised how critty it was, nothing like it is today though. So basically they're going to have a serial killer on it.confused

EdithSitwell Fri 22-Sep-17 21:43:11

It's utterly ridiculous. Improbable, sensational storylines and unbelievable characters. It was so much better years ago.

yawning801 Fri 22-Sep-17 21:44:54

Good! Glad I'm not the only one who thinks so!

BR62Y Fri 22-Sep-17 21:54:01

Is it more ridiculous than Dr Foster?

Redglitter Fri 22-Sep-17 21:56:13

What ever police force covers Weatherfield should build a police station in the street. The police are there every week for something or other

MyBrilliantDisguise Fri 22-Sep-17 21:57:47

Emily going to Peru should have started alarm bells ringing.

eddiemairswife Fri 22-Sep-17 22:01:59

I watch it, and have done for many years, but some of the stories are so far-fetched. I always thought it was ridiculous to send an 80 year old woman to Peru, when she would have been more likely to go and stay with her deaf niece.

MrsMHasIt Fri 22-Sep-17 22:02:08

I used to love watching it with my grandmother. It isn't the same program sadly.

dontslouchdarling Fri 22-Sep-17 22:02:24

Wasn't there a similar "scandal" a few years ago when some bloke (Gail's husband?) became a be-gloved serial killer out of nowhere and strangled the hairdresser (Maxine?). My point being - they've done it before. Probably when ratings are a bit low. grin

peachypops Fri 22-Sep-17 22:03:09

Agreed OP. I used to watch Corrie as a child with my Mum but now there's no way I can watch it with my nine year old, even though it's on at 7:30. Wish there could be a genuinely family soap opera. Pat Phelan beyond annoying and ridiculous.

MargotLovedTom1 Fri 22-Sep-17 22:03:34

Corrie has had a serial killer before. Richard Hillman?

I don't watch it any more but I'm not sure I would class it as a 'family' programme, nor any other soaps for that matter. They may be shown before the watershed, but there are plenty of rapes murders and abusive relationships shown. I think the pre-9pm slot only tones down language and nudity aspects (IMO).

Chocolatteandbiscuits Fri 22-Sep-17 22:04:44

I may be shot down for this but I've recently got into corrie again and I love it! Also I finding Adam a great bit of eye candy!

Viviennemary Fri 22-Sep-17 22:08:21

The Pehlan thing is very creepy I think and not suitable for the time it's on. I've watched for years but I'm not liking it too much any more. It's had it's day it looks like.

littlebird7 Fri 22-Sep-17 22:11:16

So sad for Corrie - story writing is horrendous. Emerdale on steroids. The joy of Corrie is the subtlety - quiet nod to real life and wonderfully warm human relationships. I am mourning

user1472333009 Fri 22-Sep-17 22:16:30

Where's Emily gone? I've just realised she's disappeared. The thing is with Corrie it's always had the humour thrown in with the nitty gritty, now its just ridiculous. They're supposedly doing it for the ratings but most people I speak to say they've stopped watching because of the violence, stupid storylines, misery etc, etc. I hardly watch it anymore or Emmerdale, which is twice as bad!

apostropheuse Fri 22-Sep-17 22:21:57

I love Coronation Street, but the whole Pat Phelan thing is completely stupid and unrealistic. It's gone on for far too long and is just boring now. Enough!

50Sometimes Fri 22-Sep-17 22:23:25

littlebird such a sweet post (and name) sad.

Thisismadness Fri 22-Sep-17 22:33:28

I think it’s cyclical, sometimes it’s intriguing, sometimes it’s background telly. Phelan is awful though, wish they’d end that storyline.

But no it’s nowhere near as improbable and stupid as Dr Foster!

maudeismyfavouritepony Fri 22-Sep-17 22:33:42

I used to watch with my mum. DD is 8 and wants to watch the soaps and I think no, they're just full of sensationalist shit.

LolaTheDarkdestroyer Fri 22-Sep-17 23:03:47

Tbf most soaps have the same level of violence etc, My daughter got upset watching kylies murder but they don't really pay attention anymore as I watch it on plus one...east Enders is dire.

Allthebestnamesareused Fri 22-Sep-17 23:09:48

Emily's on a gap yah in Peru . I think she may have gone with Spider.

TathitiPete Fri 22-Sep-17 23:10:05

Carla is coming back into it soon so that will push it from 'not great' to 'unwatchable' for me.

Bachingupthewrongtree Sat 23-Sep-17 03:15:37

YANBU!!!!!!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now