Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

To think this is a big fat con?

(17 Posts)
HotLadybird Sun 17-Sep-17 13:09:57

So my dear old dad is a bit of a sucker for reading about investment opportunities, especially those you have to pay to get more information which is what makes me twitch, and I'm finding it difficult to stop him. We're at that awkward in between stage where I can't quite take over everything completely but he can't always be trusted to make sound financial decisions.

Anyway, has anybody heard of this? The Brexit severance cheques?

https://pro.agora.co.uk/p/GIDBC12/WGIDT901/?h=true

donquixotedelamancha Sun 17-Sep-17 13:16:54

"To think this is a big fat con?"

Seriously. You needed to ask. It might as well be at www.connymcconface.con.

DerbyshireDad17 Sun 17-Sep-17 13:17:07

Absolute con!!

MrsHathaway Sun 17-Sep-17 13:17:33

Oh God.

How can he not see that it's a scam?

No Google hits for any of the supposed legal terms except that one website - including from the papers he claim have endorsed it. Handfuls of testimonials but no details.

pigsDOfly Sun 17-Sep-17 13:29:01

It's so obviously a con, and not even a subtle one.

Don't know how you can stop him though.

The Financial Conduct Authority has a website about financial scams might be worth getting him to have a look at it.

TapStepBallChange Sun 17-Sep-17 13:34:38

It's an absolute and utter con. Could you talk to Age UK? I know they have done lots of work in trying by to help older people who are being targeted by this kind of thing. They might have advice on how to talk to your dad about it.

Might also be worth flagging to action fraud.

Gingernaut Sun 17-Sep-17 13:44:02

I've sent a link to the address given by Action Fraud.

Much help that will do. hmm

The gambling warning at the bottom of the page does not inspire confidence.

BMW6 Sun 17-Sep-17 15:18:25

One of the funniest things I've ever read! How can anyone not see what a load of codswallop it is!

Papafran Sun 17-Sep-17 15:25:07

Jesus Christ.

pigsDOfly Sun 17-Sep-17 15:25:10

It's not funny really though is it BMW6. These people will probably con a great many, probably elderly, often vulnerable people out of a great deal of money.

When I read about scams like this I always think, how the hell could anyone fall for something like that, and yes, it's probably true that someone can only be conned by these sorts of things if they're trying to get something for nothing, but it still doesn't make it anything less than despicable.

Becca19962014 Sun 17-Sep-17 15:38:35

Ffs. My grandparents were conned by crap like this, I know others much younger who've been conned by this shit too. It's not even remotely funny.

Want to know how people fall for it? How they can be so stupid? They're desperate. They need cash and shitty sites like that are an answer for them. Even the 'examples' on the page cry out people in desperate situations made better by these 'cheques'.

As it says it's for 'educational purposes only' and responding is a form of 'gambling' (no shit) action fraud are (imo) very unlikely to do anything because it's already saying on the page it's a scam - that said Ive still reported it just in case!

angry

goodnessidontknow Sun 17-Sep-17 17:03:05

Unfortunately these types of misleading sales pages are allowed to continue because if you scroll ALL the way to the very bottom it clearly states this an investment option, refers to gambling and advises you to be gambling aware. It also confirms your investment will not be covered by the FSA.
It makes me so cross that there are people in this world who prey on the vulnerable like this.

HotLadybird Sun 17-Sep-17 21:14:13

Thanks for the support and advice! It makes me feel better going back to my dad!

Capsaicin Tue 19-Sep-17 08:29:21

uk.trustpilot.com/review/www.agorafinancial.co.uk Maybe ask him to take a look here for reviews from people who have bought the service. They are offering spread betting tips.

existentialmoment Tue 19-Sep-17 09:40:39

Even if he believes all the complete bullshit about free money, point out that its factually inaccuarate: Thatcher did a similar scheme in 1983 before Uk joined the EU? That was 1973.

Lisa1606 Sat 28-Oct-17 17:02:48

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

Maran Fri 03-Nov-17 13:28:58

Hi,

Have a look at this site:

www.ft.com/content/71574e6c-da42-11e0-bc99-00144feabdc0

I really hope that it helps.

Regards,

Maran

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now