Talk

Advanced search

Would you pay this for one pair of school trousers fuming!!!!

(100 Posts)
Dickorydockwhatthe Wed 31-May-17 12:13:30

School have emailed to say as from September they will be changing the school trousers and skirts and that we will now have to buy from the uniform shop. The changes are that they have the schools initials in black embroidery on the black trouser 🙄. The skirts also have the same but are below the knee etc.
They apparently negotiated a good price and one pair of trousers of skirt could range from £18.50 to £24.50!!!!! Are they absolutely mad I pay £10 for two pairs which fit the school criteria, they are standard smart black school trousers we have never had issues over ds uniform. I normally buy 4 pairs or at least 3 no way could I afford or justify that now!!! I also have to buy a new blazer has ds has only lasted a year due to the poor sizing. Small was was a good a fit but next size was abasolutley massive and the guy at the store himself said there was a vast difference in sizing so I dread to think what the trousers are going to be like. I'm so angry at the school as they are punishing everyone because an minority are disobey the rules. Not mention to they are probably getting commission for uniform sold 😡

Kokusai Wed 31-May-17 12:15:30

That makes me so cross! What a waste of money.

Is it a private school?

Trifleorbust Wed 31-May-17 12:18:52

I suggest you speak to the minority. They are the ones spoiling things for everyone and I expect the school leaders have reached the end of their patience in saying the same thing hundreds of times.

MackerelOfFact Wed 31-May-17 12:21:50

Is this a state school? If so, I don't think they can enforce this.

I would keep wearing the existing uniform if the logo is the only change. If they make a fuss, just say you're waiting for him to need new trousers before replacing them... and then keep buying the cheap ones.

Hereward1332 Wed 31-May-17 12:23:14

They will be getting a kickback from the uniform supplier, or if it's a school shop, the profit.

If it's a state school - and lots of academies seem to pull this stunt- write to the governing body to complain. It's unethical as it stops poorer families accessing what aim to be higher achieving state schools.

MackerelOfFact Wed 31-May-17 12:25:05

WTF, Trifleorbust? Why is it the OP's problem if other children don't wear the proper uniform, and how are £25 trousers going to make a difference?!

ZerbaPadnaTigre Wed 31-May-17 12:28:42

I'd complain to the school and I wouldn't rush out to buy the new stuff. I know of a school who tried to do this but so many parents refused to buy the stupidly expensive uniform, the school gave up and changed the policy back a few weeks later.

tireddotcom72 Wed 31-May-17 12:29:02

I have this with dd school. Skirts have to have school name embroidered on them. We were given 12 months to switch over though so they could grow out of existing skirts. Her whole uniform is now only available in 1 shop

justkeepswimmingg Wed 31-May-17 12:29:49

I believe academies actually have the right to be able to enforce these rules, sadly. I'm sure you won't be the only parent to complain, but I'd start with emailing back complaining and ask for their complaints procedure so you can take this further. Also ask what would happen if you send your DC in without the embroidered uniform, as it may result in inclusion for them! It is not fair at all, especially to the families on low income. DS is only 2, but I dread him going to school for reasons like this!

Dickorydockwhatthe Wed 31-May-17 12:32:47

It's a academy school. I've spoke to a few mums who haven't even recieved a letter or email and we only just recieved an email ourselves!! There was no meeting or discussion with parents which is poor. I've already brought ds trousers in the Tu sale as well I've just gone for the next size up!! The first week after starting secondary he tripped and fell causing a hole in the knee which I was annoyed about but I'd be devastated if he did it to a £24.50 pair of trousers. I also tend to buy the buttoned elastic acted waist trousers as ds is tall and skinny!! Also ds has had a note from school previously for smart uniform so this is completely unfair!!

Yura Wed 31-May-17 12:39:51

Unfortunately I have to pay that much - it's special pure cotton trousers for eczema children though, so not the school's fault.

YoloSwaggins Wed 31-May-17 12:40:18

Jesus I wouldn't even pay that for a pair of trousers for myself, and I'm 23...

Flipsticks Wed 31-May-17 12:43:24

Complain to the governors, in writing, in email and in person! (And I say this as a governor!) this is the sort of thing that could be renegotiated if there is a will for it.

pinkmagic1 Wed 31-May-17 12:45:19

We have a similar issue with my dd's state primary. They have told us that from September the jumpers and cardigans must have the schools logo on. Up until now we have just been able to buy supermarket ones in the schools colour.
the ones with the logo are triple the price. I don't think they can enforce uniform at primary and will more than likely continue to send dd in the supermarket ones as she looses them regularly.

cheeeekyavocado Wed 31-May-17 12:45:29

It's bullshit.

There is no need for or whatsoever.

A blazer or jumper/cardigan with a large crest/logo on, understandable.
These items need to stand out and also often last longer so the price is justified.

Trousers with a tiny logo in the same colour as the fucking trousers is stupid. Trousers and skirts always get replaced faster due to growing. As long as they are all wearing the same colour what the hell does it matter.

I would honestly refuse to pay it and take it further.

DomJolyNurse Wed 31-May-17 12:49:10

No I wouldnt and I would write in/meet school to say it is much too expensive and unnecessary

user1493759849 Wed 31-May-17 12:50:15

URGH school uniforms! angry

I have 2 kids only a year apart (now young adults,) and it used to cost a PACKET for their sodding uniforms! Why?!!!!!!!! I mean you can get a shirt and a pair of trousers at Asda or Tesco for seven quid (for the two items!) Yet the official school ones cost 5 times that!

If the school are going to insist they kids wear theirs, then they should provide them free of charge.

HotelEuphoria Wed 31-May-17 12:51:22

I bloody well wouldn't pay that and we are by no means hard up. I am glad my kids had left school by the time BHS went bust as their uniform fitted my short kids perfectly and was excellent quality.

I would definitely complain. My kids school was a non selective academy and the pupils came from very diverse financial backgrounds. Some pupils struggled to clothe their DC in Tesco basics and some could afford to pay for private education.

This is dreadful.

Busybee233 Wed 31-May-17 12:56:59

We where private schooled where one blazer used to cost 100 pounds pluss and bloody jumper 50 hand made Austrian blazers for 5 year olds

Busybee233 Wed 31-May-17 12:57:48

I was constantly ruining my summer dress and my mum was constantly angry I'm not surprised

NellieFiveBellies Wed 31-May-17 12:59:26

fuck that.
id buy the cheap trousers and embroider the initials on myself!

NotQualifiedForThis Wed 31-May-17 12:59:43

My school did this, £30 for a trousers with purple piping on the pockets or a skirt that was, despite being 5ft tall throughout my school career, skimmed my arse cheeks. My aunty sewed some purple piping on for me and after several months of uniform detentions, I got a bhs skirt. Several more detentions from a weird perv teacher because it was below my knees slightly confused
They gave up and replaced the ties which were also inordinately expensive.
Complain complain complain. They take the piss.

myusernameisgeneric Wed 31-May-17 13:00:28

That's madness. How would you even see some tint embroidery? What a waste of
Money. My eldest goes to an academy and the girls skirt is Entirely custom design and still costs under £20.

finnthepink Wed 31-May-17 13:03:17

How will they be able to tell? Are they going to go around peering at the embroidery on everyone's pockets? 😈

I'd probably go for passive resistance on this one.

Gileswithachainsaw Wed 31-May-17 13:03:41

Bloody hell wtf are they on.

How the hell are people meant to afford that. Nothing wrong with supermarket stuff st a third of the price who has their face so close to a kids arse downwards to even notice the letters I'd worry about anyone who's be checking that

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now