Talk

Advanced search

This very pleasant patient...etc

(111 Posts)
LovelyBath77 Thu 13-Apr-17 09:24:58

So my surgeon is very experienced and may need his help at home point. But his letters are so old fashioned. I mentioned I sometime felt my physical problems were seen as the result of anxiety by my GP, and he said he knew it wasn't. However I do have a mental health condition as well. He keeps saying things now, like I have improved psychologically and physically since my last surgery (and I think this may be in support of if we need to operate again). However this is not, the case overall. It's complicated, but I'm to sure, should surgeons be commenting on mental health? Or AIBU?

amistillsexy Thu 13-Apr-17 09:31:25

I would take it as a good sign that your surgeon cares about the whole of you, rather than simply your physical helping after an op. He's just doing his job, and making sure you're not being adversely affected by your treatment. Please don't read too much into it. I hope you're recovering well from your op. flowers

kateclarke Thu 13-Apr-17 09:33:10

I think YABU not sure what the poor man has done wrong? Physical and psychological health are inistricably linked.

pipsqueak25 Thu 13-Apr-17 09:33:14

personally if my surgeon had operated on my tennis elbow i wouldn't expect a detailed report of my mental health from them too - unless they were my psyhc doctor as well smile, does seem odd in your case.

LovelyBath77 Thu 13-Apr-17 09:42:33

Well, yes I know he is trying to help, it is not an easy stuation as further surgery may make things worse. So he may be advocating for me in case it does become necessary. It is the NHS, so i should appreciate the time taken etc. It's a bit odd reading about yourself in this way.

LovelyBath77 Thu 13-Apr-17 09:43:52

I had explained I didn;t think the GP took it seriously and out my symptoms down to MH at times, whereas the surgeon knows better the condition can well not be improved by further surgery. So I guess he;s saying he believes me, it;s not just all in my head...

lilybetsy Thu 13-Apr-17 10:00:07

I am a GP. This is completely normal and good care. Don't worry

unfortunateevents Thu 13-Apr-17 10:02:34

Don't all consultants write like that? It seems to be a generally accepted method of describing patients. On the rare occasion I have received a letter from a consultant, I have felt like he was describing my mother and the ones for my teenage son made him sound like every mother's dream. Also you can be described as pleasant etc without it minimising the fact that you can still have serious MH problems?

KitKat1985 Thu 13-Apr-17 10:04:02

It sounds like he is trying to support you in explaining to your GP that your issues aren't just down to anxiety. People often have surgery for mental as well as physical health reasons (e.g, reconstruction surgeries after trauma / cancer, or in helping with pain management in people with depression) so I don't think it's inappropriate.

Majorgoodwinschickenbeatstrump Thu 13-Apr-17 10:04:37

So this is a normal thing? I've had the 'this is a very pleasant patient' thing too, thought I must have been particularly charming at my appointment grin

TheFairyCaravan Thu 13-Apr-17 10:07:58

I see loads of consultants they all write similar things in their letters. It doesn't bother me at all.

Gingernaut Thu 13-Apr-17 10:09:01

I often type clinic letters.

"It's was a pleasure to see this patient..." is a common statement.

Often, there are questionnaires to fill in which give an indication of apparent mood and acceptance of pre/post operative conditions, all of which indicate to the consultant what physical and mental state you percieve yourself to be in.

TurnipCake Thu 13-Apr-17 10:09:16

The mind and body aren't distinct entities.

My personal code is:

Most patients: I reviewed this pleasant [age] lady

Really nice: I reviewed this charming [age] lady

Arsehole: I reviewed this [age] lady

KitKat1985 Thu 13-Apr-17 10:12:31

I'm a nurse. I sometimes think this 'pleasant patient' thing is a bit of a code between doctors so they write 'pleasant patient' for all of their patients that are fine and easy going. And then they just write 'patient' when the patient they are referring to is a PITA without having actually explicitly written anything that could get them in trouble if anyone else reads the letter, IYSWIM.

KitKat1985 Thu 13-Apr-17 10:13:15

x-post with Turnip!

PumpkinPie2016 Thu 13-Apr-17 10:20:28

I have had 'this very pleasant lady' written by my physio to my GP.

Doesn't bother me at all - think they are just being nice.

There are worse things they could write grin

BenadrylCucumberpatch Thu 13-Apr-17 10:20:35

I sometimes think this 'pleasant patient' thing is a bit of a code between doctors so they write 'pleasant patient' for all of their patients that are fine and easy going. And then they just write 'patient' when the patient they are referring to is a PITA without having actually explicitly written anything that could get them in trouble if anyone else reads the letter, IYSWIM

I thought this too. Especially since some correspondence between hospital/GP/Consultant also send a copy to the patient too. I've had a few of my own and have been called both pleasant and lovely!

spidey66 Thu 13-Apr-17 10:22:44

I was described as 'delightful lady' on a clinic letter once. Since then I've only been described as 'pleasant.' Disappointing, I'd rather be delightful.

AnyFucker Thu 13-Apr-17 10:23:57

You had a surgeon take even the tiniest account of something other than bones or organs ?

<faints clean away>

Goldfishjane Thu 13-Apr-17 10:35:50

I saw a load of medical people after a major accident. Reading how delightful I am gave me some of the only laughs I had in that time, I did think it was probably a code of some kind but I wasnt sure what it might mean!

UndersecretaryofWhimsy Thu 13-Apr-17 10:40:34

All doctors write like this. It's just the accepted vernacular. And yes, it does make them sound like they've escaped from 1952, and yes it's basically code for "cooperative and not a heartsink".

Just enjoy being a "pleasant lady". I like to imagine a vintage hat pinned at the perfect angle on my head.

minifingerz Thu 13-Apr-17 10:40:49

I got 'sensible patient'. hmm

I took it as code for 'fast tracked her to gynae oncology because of vague symptoms but she's not usually hammering on my door every five minutes complaining about pains in her lady parts so I thought I should humour her'

Youdontwanttodothat Thu 13-Apr-17 10:47:49

All consultants write like this. I noticed I didn't get it in one letter after I kicked off about something. Isn't it just low level code.

limitedperiodonly Thu 13-Apr-17 11:03:36

I've just looked at my last one.

'It was a pleasure to review this 30-year-old lady...'

halo

I lied about my age

RhodaBorrocks Thu 13-Apr-17 11:05:25

I usually get 'very pleasant' or 'charming'. I've once had 'highly intelligent' and the ones that have asked my occupation always include it because I'm corporate NHS and most clinical staff are keen to help 'their own' (I was recently offered to be fast tracked in A&E and refused it and said I'd wait like everyone else - the subsequent letter to my GP was very complimentary!), so it's definitely code to get the GP to treat me well. But seeing as my GP is on the board that I was previously a PA for he always gives me special treatment - he even slid a repeat prescription across the board room table to me once, even though I was expecting to go and collect it later - "Oh I knew I'd be seeing you, so I slipped it in my briefcase!" confused blush

My transplant consultants that I see frequently usually say "I had the pleasure of seeing Rhoda again today..." I'd think it was sarcasm, but I go so often that I'm on a first name basis with all the staff and they're all lovely.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now