Talk

Advanced search

AIBU to want a spy/action/adventure book with female/girl leads for my daughter to enjoy?

(221 Posts)
staveleymum Thu 30-Mar-17 14:25:15

My DS (9) has been reading Alex Ryder, Young Bond, Johnny Maxwell as well as Roald Dahl, David Walliams etc. These are all great books and I am sure that when it's time for my DS (6) to start on books some of these will appeal to her too. However, I've been looking around and trying to find books with strong female lead characters is rather thin on the ground in comparison to 'boys books' (FYI I dont advocate that there are books for boys or girls - just books) - but I would love for my daughter to have the choice to read books with strong girl characters that can also save the world!

We are on Worst Witch and have Naughty Little Sister for now but other than fairies, princesses, animal themed books I am struggling to find anything in the 7-9 age group that are more adventure based. I am going to try and find some Nancy Drew (I read those as a girl) but can anyone recommend any alternatives?

FauxFox Thu 30-Mar-17 14:31:13

Pippi Longstocking is kickass

FauxFox Thu 30-Mar-17 14:33:57

The rescue princesses series is also good, still princesses but they have a secret animal rescue club and practise ninja moves etc so not your average princesses!

WhatHaveIFound Thu 30-Mar-17 14:36:12

Has she read the Ruby Redfort books?

exexpat Thu 30-Mar-17 14:37:39

There's the classic Harriet the Spy (Louise Fitzhugh), or Lauren Child's Ruby Redfort series, though they might be a little old - possibly better for 9-12.

DD loved Evangeline Mudd and the Golden-haired Apes of the Ikkinasti Jungle (David Elliott) at that age. Or the Molly Moon books (Georgia Byng) might be suitable?

Oh, and another classic - the Clever Polly and the Stupid Wolf series (Catherine Storr) is brilliant - not 'action', but definitely a strong and clever heroine.

staveleymum Thu 30-Mar-17 14:37:40

Pippi Longstocking - I think I have one of those squirreled away for when she's ready (I scour charity shops on a regular basis for kids books)! It's pretty depressing though the lack of choice.

WhatHaveIFound Thu 30-Mar-17 14:38:41

Also i think there's a strong girl character in Frozen in Time.

CruCru Thu 30-Mar-17 14:38:59

Perhaps she is too young but the Hunger Games? A friend's daughter started reading them aged 10.

someonestolemynick Thu 30-Mar-17 14:39:13

Was going to suggest Pippi Longstockings. And quite a few others by Astrid Lindgren. My favourite is Ronia: the Robbers Daughter.

EffieIsATrinket Thu 30-Mar-17 14:39:56

Helen Moss the Adventure Island books are basically modern Famous Five type books - mix of boys plus lead girl, minimal gender stereotyping.

EffieIsATrinket Thu 30-Mar-17 14:40:59

Also Nancy Clancy good from 6/7 upwards

Stickerrocks Thu 30-Mar-17 14:42:08

Definitely recommend Ruby Redfort and books by Lauren St John are good fun as well.

Justanothernameonthepage Thu 30-Mar-17 14:42:46

At that age I liked Tamara Pierce - song of the lioness series. (Female knight pretending to be a boy so she can train)She also wrote the trickster series which is meant to be good. When she's a bit older, try Terry Pratchett's witches series. Priceless series is excellent (comic book series featuring a black princess who wants to rescue, not be rescued so sets off on adventures). Pick your own adventure might be good for her.

northcoastmum Thu 30-Mar-17 14:43:30

The 39 clues series has a sister and brother as the main characters

EffieIsATrinket Thu 30-Mar-17 14:44:08

Zoe's Zoo series good for younger readers if she's into animals

YesILikeItToo Thu 30-Mar-17 14:44:23

Caroline Lawrence writes stories about a young teen detective in Roman times. DH and DD are obsessed with them, they sound quite gritty, tbh.

NorksAkimbo72 Thu 30-Mar-17 14:44:27

My 9 year old loves Skulduggery Pleasant...they are a bit older, so it depends on your dd, really. A little violence, but nothing too harrowing, with a really kick ass female lead character!

MrsBobtonTrent Thu 30-Mar-17 14:45:38

Ruby Redfort. Harriet the Spy.
Adventure Island series by Helen Moss.

Would be good to find more though.

Haywire Thu 30-Mar-17 14:46:15

My daughter is 9 she loves reading all kinds of books including action/adventure books but not things that are princess/kitten/horse/fairy based. We often discuss the lack of female protagonists. Highly recommend Goth girl series/Ottoline books by Chris Ridell, swallows and amazons, how to train a dragon series of books, Eva Ibbotson - journey to the river sea, Narnia books I think the Steve Backshall books have female lead characters but not sure about quality. My daughter loved the faraway tree and then the famous five aged 6/7. Actually a lot of classics have good female characters if some dubious stereotyping but that can often be the source of a good conversation. I find it a real joy of parenting being able to share all those books you loved as a child . Not quite what you asked for but I just bought her 'goodnight stories for rebel girls' which is fabulous

EffieIsATrinket Thu 30-Mar-17 14:46:52

The Alexander McCall Smith series about Precious as a child are gentle mystery type stories.

Justanothernameonthepage Thu 30-Mar-17 14:46:54

Sorry, Princeless - not priceless (autocorrect). Wee free men by Terry Pratchett. Series of unfortunate events by Lemony Snicket, Artemis Fowl series. The Oz books

Bigbiscuits Thu 30-Mar-17 14:47:30

www.thebookpeople.co.uk/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/qs_product_tbp?storeId=10001&catalogId=10051&langId=100&productId=642620&cm_mmc=Google%20Adwords-_-PLA-_-The+Roman+Mysteries+Collection+-+10+Books-_--RNMY&gclid=CIm0_s-u_tICFRY8GwodDNMOmQ

EffieIsATrinket Thu 30-Mar-17 14:48:51

The Ramona series good from 6-7 too

ZilphasHatpin Thu 30-Mar-17 14:50:27

I have no recommendations for books but will be following this thread.

However OP when you do find some with female leads, encourage your son to read them too. Boys need to see women/girls in the lead too for it to become normal.

TheKrakenSmith Thu 30-Mar-17 14:55:01

The Scarlett and Ivy series is really great! There's four so far out of a planned six and it's a mystery series set in a 1940s boarding school!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now