Talk

Advanced search

Would you swear on your child's life if it wasn't true?

(35 Posts)
noodleaddict Sun 19-Mar-17 12:15:31

Say you've been cheating on your partner and have lied about it, mostly to uphold the idea that you're a good person and you also just can't admit to it. They don't believe you however. You're not sure if you want to save the relationship as you're fed up with arguing and being snooped on. However it would be easier to stay together in many ways. Your partner then says they will give you another chance as long as you swear on your child's life that you haven't slept with anyone else (you definitely have). You're not religious or superstitious at all and you don't really believe in that stuff. Would you do it?

DontTouchTheMoustache Sun 19-Mar-17 12:16:15

I'd probably grow up.

WheresTheEvidence Sun 19-Mar-17 12:16:29

No

SmitheringSmithison Sun 19-Mar-17 12:17:25

I wouldn't swear on my child's life even if I hadn't done anything wrong never mind if I had, I find the concept of it childish and crass.

Whatthefudger Sun 19-Mar-17 12:17:29

YABU

Oldraver Sun 19-Mar-17 12:17:42

To me, anyone that says...swear on xyx life...I would think lying.

Its a horrible meaningless phrase, used by people who wont tell the truth

Beelzebop Sun 19-Mar-17 12:18:14

Nope

Annesmyth123 Sun 19-Mar-17 12:18:21

They're a cheater. They lie. They will say whatever they think will get them off the hook.

Schmoochypoos Sun 19-Mar-17 12:18:22

No

BlueberryMarshmallow Sun 19-Mar-17 12:18:40

No that's ridiculous. I remember my mum once swearing on my life as a child (about a similar thing) and I knew she was lying. I was convinced that was the end of me.

thecatneuterer Sun 19-Mar-17 12:19:08

I don't have children, but would happily swear on any family member's life, or my cats' lives if I thought whoever I was talking to would be daft enough to think that my doing such a thing was in any way meaningful. It's just words. It means nothing. If it would help a necessary lie to be believed, for whatever reason, I would do it.

ThroughThickAndThin01 Sun 19-Mar-17 12:20:01

So childish.

Awwlookatmybabyspider Sun 19-Mar-17 12:20:38

I wouldn't swear on anyone's life. Even if I were telling the truth, let alone the life of my own child

Janeofalltrades1 Sun 19-Mar-17 12:21:28

Yes. Swearing on anyone's life doesn't mean anything.

HecateAntaia Sun 19-Mar-17 12:21:41

it's just words. No child has ever dropped down dead as a result of their parent swearing on their life. literally othing will happen to the person's children if they are lying but they are dramatic words.

tbh anyone who "swears on my childrens lives"..

is probably lying.

it's superstitious, manipulative, childish, emotional bollocks.

PacificDogwod Sun 19-Mar-17 12:24:03

Well, whether we would or not is really not relevant, is it?

Trust once damaged cannot be repaired by making meaningless statements.

And yes to 'growing up.

Action. Consequences.

HecateAntaia Sun 19-Mar-17 12:24:14

oh and to answer the question - no. I'd grow the fuck up and own my choices.

SparkleTwinkleGoldGlitter Sun 19-Mar-17 12:24:33

I wouldn't swear on anyone's life because I'm not in a school playground!

PurpleDaisies Sun 19-Mar-17 12:26:04

Swearing on someone's life is pretty meaningless if you're not a trustworthy person to begin with.

Which person in the op are you?

noodleaddict Sun 19-Mar-17 12:28:37

Haha. Ok thanks for quick responses everyone. Just to make it clear I am not the cheater. Just wanted a quick poll on whether people think this means anything. Consensus seems to be that it's a silly playground thing, which I'd have to agree with!

CoolCarrie Sun 19-Mar-17 12:36:27

People who swear on anyone's life are clearly idiots, stupid meaningless phrase

WorraLiberty Sun 19-Mar-17 12:49:03

It means nothing at all.

No-one has died because someone swore on their lives.

But I do tend to think it's a phrase used by people who are lying anyway.

Lilmisskittykat Sun 19-Mar-17 12:49:18

It's just meaningless ... I wouldn't think it meant any more or less truth then if they just denied and promised

FutureMrsRanj Sun 19-Mar-17 12:51:02

I would be honest in the first place, the whole scenario is ridiculous and will just end up with more repercussions, most likely surrounding phrases like "but you swore on chardonays life it wasn't true"

Funnyonion17 Sun 19-Mar-17 12:53:28

Yes, because i don't believe in superstition so i would happily do it and not worry. However i wouldn't tell lies tbh, especially ones so big.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now