Wearing gold and silver jewellery together, a big no no ???

(29 Posts)
Twoonatandem Tue 14-Mar-17 12:59:02

Well just that really.
I have lots of pretty silver jewellery, rings, etc (not expensive) which I never wear as I am always wearing my wedding and engagement rings which are gold. I also have a gold eternity ring which I wear on my ring finger on my right hand, so I can't wear all silver on my right hand.
I think the mixture of gold and silver together looks odd, but maybe that's because I'm not used to it.
Sorry, a bit of a 1st world problem I know, but I'm feeling sad that these things never see the light of day.

JonesyAndTheSalad Tue 14-Mar-17 13:10:49

I do it. When I chose my engagement ring I chose yellow gold because I feel white gold will be very dated in a few years.

I like gold. I also like silver. I wear a silver ring on my right hand and my wedding ring and engagement rings on my left. I quite often wear a silver pendant or bracelets.

I want some gold bangles too.

Carrie from Sex and the City did it! I can too.

DefinitelyOdd Tue 14-Mar-17 13:11:35

Why don't you just wear what you want to wear when you feel like it?

Yes, I have been told to not wear silver and gold together but I do if I want to. I wouldn't stop because 'They' say not to.

ToriaPumpkin Tue 14-Mar-17 13:14:28

My wedding ring is yellow gold, my engagement ring is white gold and mm eternity ring is silver with a yellow gold setting and I wear all three every day. I've got several pieces of jewellery that combine silver and yellow gold so the designers clearly don't think you shouldn't wear them together!

Mrsemcgregor Tue 14-Mar-17 13:17:50

Just be careful if you wear them close as the silver can wear away the gold. (Over many years)

wetcardboard Tue 14-Mar-17 13:22:29

I think if someone wore all gold jewellery and then a single silver item it would look a little odd and jarring. But an equal mix of silver and gold can look very striking.

The advice that one should never mix silver and gold is pretty dated I think, along with the the stipulation that one should never mix navy and black, or brown and black and blah blah, endless style rules. If it works, it works.

GrumpyOldBag Tue 14-Mar-17 13:24:07

I mix all the time.

Not an issue.

AgathaF Tue 14-Mar-17 13:36:38

I wear them together. Gold wedding, engagement and eternity rings, silver bracelet and watch. I have never understood why people say not to. It's no different to wearing different coloured clothes, or having more than one colour furnishing a room in my opinion.

Lexilooo Tue 14-Mar-17 13:40:57

If you don't like the mixed look then buy a silver band to wear as an alternative wedding ring on days you want to wear silver.

LoupGarou Tue 14-Mar-17 13:46:01

I think they look lovely together, I have this photo pinned on Pinterest of mixed metals...

TondelayaDellaVentamiglia Tue 14-Mar-17 13:46:07

I do....have silver and gold bangles, one is silver with gold beads on it.

my engagement ring has a 18ct gold band, but is an opal, with diamonds in white metal ...no idea what, as it is antique...so that looks lighter iyswim

I wear whatever earrings I fancy, but most are silver, and am not really a necklace type person

I say "meh" to them! grin

Laiste Tue 14-Mar-17 13:47:07

My wedding and engagement rings are white gold and never come off, but i also 'live' in a long yellow gold chain which DH bought me when we got together. All 3 are very precious to me and i don't take them off.

Just thought i also always wear 2 solid silver bangles on one arm (another DH present) and a silver/pink pandora bracelet which DD3 is building for me on the other.

Plus various earings.

It sounds as if i look like a bloody xmas tree - but it's all quite understated grin

Wigbert Tue 14-Mar-17 13:50:09

Wear what you want. No one is the boss of you.

TheRealPooTroll Tue 14-Mar-17 13:51:09

My wedding ring is a mix of white and yellow gold and I also have a few mixed metal necklaces (expensive one offs) so clash away I say!

Crowdblundering Tue 14-Mar-17 13:51:37

I really really hate seeing this but it's a personal choice. grin

EmmaWoodlouse Tue 14-Mar-17 22:32:05

I don't like yellow gold on me at all and only ever wear silver, but I think silver and gold stacking rings can look good together if it's obviously done deliberately - so roughly equal numbers of each, and if possible with one or two items that combine both colours.

SlatternIsTrying Tue 14-Mar-17 22:41:27

My wedding and engagement rings are platinum so I can wear silver. But I also like my gold jewellery so on those days all my jewellery is gold except my rings and I don't wear any gold jewellery on the same hand as them.

In other words I don't mix and match, it's either silver or gold, but my platinum rings are exempt (in my head) from this rule.

Astoria7974 Tue 14-Mar-17 23:03:53

depends on the silver - if it's going black or looks cheap compared to your other stuff then don't wear it. You can wear white gold and yellow gold together - I have plenty of watches and jewellry that mixes, and it looks really nice.

showmeislands Tue 14-Mar-17 23:08:24

Personally I really dislike yellow gold and never wear it, only silver and white gold. So wearing silver and yellow gold together isn't something I would do myself anyway, but have to admit I don't think it looks good in general.

crazywriter Wed 15-Mar-17 00:57:00

I'm not a yellow gold fan personally.

But that doesn't mean YWBU to wear both. My husband's wedding ring is silver with a rim of yellow gold either side. I've seen a lot of rings like that in recent years.

As for the white gold being dated comment. I've worn a white gold ring for almost 15 years. It looks like silver at a glance so can't see how it would look dated.

That being said my 4 main rings (wedding, engagement, and 2 from grandparents from special birthdays) live on a chain around my neck until I lose weight and get rid of my fat fingers.

BlondeBecky1983 Wed 15-Mar-17 01:02:30

The Queen mixes so I don't see why anyone else can't! She has a platinum engagement ring and yellow gold wedding band.

kel1493 Wed 15-Mar-17 01:04:27

I do. Most of my jewellery is yellow gold. But my dh got me a few silver bits as well, that I also wear. In fact, I wear a silver pendant on a yellow gold chain, alongside a gold pendant.

shitgibbon Wed 15-Mar-17 01:05:50

I wear gold with silver every day.

Pollypudding Wed 15-Mar-17 01:17:13

Wear anything you like and stop worrying about people judging you.

Foggymist Wed 15-Mar-17 07:52:39

White gold will be dated in a few years? Oh dear, my 50 year old family heirloom white gold engagement and wedding rings will have to be tossed aside to stay on trend!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now