Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

GMC complaint

(17 Posts)
MountainPeaks Fri 06-Jan-17 15:11:22

AIBU to ask what warrants a GMC complaint? And what happens if you raise one about a GP who is not normally your GP but works in the same practice. Will the patient making the complaint be removed from the surgery lists?

Also - do other doctors refer colleagues to GMC if something major has happened?

StepCatsmother Fri 06-Jan-17 15:26:11

I am in a profession allied to the GMC so have a little bit of knowledge.

Generally the GMC deal with complaints at the most serious level, i.e. those that would give rise to suspension of or a restriction on the Dr's ability to practice.

The GMC website is really good and I think there's a webform where you can run your complaint past them and they will let you know if it's something they can deal with or point you in the direction of more appropriate agencies e.g. Healthwatch.

Yes, doctors can report each other to the GMC. People who do the job I do have to make reports sometimes too.

carefreeeee Fri 06-Jan-17 15:26:48

www.gmc-uk.org/concerns/making_a_complaint/23361.asp?WT.ac=MCNO140122

"What action the GMC can take
If we identify serious concerns about the doctor we can, where appropriate, take action including:

restricting their practice in some way or
stopping them from practising.
We can only investigate complaints about doctors.

These are examples of the types of cases where we may need to act:

serious or repeated mistakes in clinical care, for example mistakes in surgical procedures or diagnosis, or prescribing drugs in a dangerous way
failure to examine a patient properly or to respond reasonably to a patient's needs
serious concerns about knowledge of the English language
abuse of professional position (for example, improper sexual or emotional relationship with a patient or someone close to them)
discrimination against patients, colleagues and other people
fraud or dishonesty
serious breaches of a patient's confidentiality
violence, sexual assault or indecency
any serious criminal offence.
What we cannot do
We cannot:

consider complaints about other professions e.g. nurses
give you a detailed explanation of what happened to you – this can only come from the doctor or the healthcare organisation
order a doctor to provide the treatment you want
help you with a claim for compensation
fine a doctor
order a doctor to give you access to your records
make a doctor apologise to you
take action where you disagree with a doctor’s conclusions in a medical report
order a doctor to add you to or reinstate you to their practice’s list of patients
make a doctor change the fees they are charging for private treatment."

CantChoose Fri 06-Jan-17 15:28:17

The gmc website has information about this. I would look there in the first instance. Here are some examples. www.gmc-uk.org/mobile/case_studies_en
Without more information it would be difficult to advise further.
Doctors can and do refer other doctors to the GMC.

Fallonjamie Fri 06-Jan-17 15:29:06

A GMC complaint would be related to a serious complaint that could result in suspension or erasure from the GMC register.

carefreeeee Fri 06-Jan-17 15:30:51

I don't think it matters if the GP is your own or or not as long as the complaint directly affects you or someone you are responsible for

You shouldn't be stopped from going to the practice unless you are rude or abusive but if there's a breakdown of trust it may be advisable

And other doctors can make complaints to the GMC but I think this would be rare unless a very serious problem as they have loyalty towards each other and also a better understanding of all the things that can go wrong!

carefreeeee Fri 06-Jan-17 15:32:14

You are probably best advised to complain directly to the GP practice in the first instance and escalate things if they don't get resolved to your satisfaction (depending on the nature of the problem obviously)

DailyFail1 Fri 06-Jan-17 15:40:54

My bil (a paramedic) recently reported a doctor to the GMC. He said other medical professionals can and often do report people if it warrants it

MountainPeaks Fri 06-Jan-17 15:43:04

Thank you so much - I had read the GMC website and it falls into four of the categories that they suggest. The practice is really apologetic about the situation but the situations keep on reoccurring. As it is they acknowledge the complaint, accept responsibility, assure the patients that it will never happen again (and specify how they are going to attempt to ensure this), but nothing ever changes.

MountainPeaks Fri 06-Jan-17 15:43:44

DailyFail I am pretty sure this doctor has been reported previously, but I am unsure who to.

TheSparrowhawk Fri 06-Jan-17 15:48:21

If it's a recurring situation then I'd definitely run it by the GMC. They're very variable in their response though.

You could also go to patient opinion: www.patientopinion.org.uk/, they're very good at getting a response.

mumonashoestring Fri 06-Jan-17 15:51:48

You may be able to check if they are currently working under restrictions from the GMC by putting their details into www.gmc-uk.org/doctors/register/LRMP.asp

This allows you to check a doctor's registration and, as GMC hearings are usually matters of public record, you'll be able to at least see if they've been referred to the GMC in the past, had a complaint upheld and been disciplined for it (the result of which is often working under supervision for a period or having to undergo remedial training).

First resort is usually the Practice Manager - in writing. If they fail to resolve the issue, you can complain to Health Education England or to the relevant ombudsman:
www.which.co.uk/consumer-rights/advice/how-to-complain-if-youre-unhappy-with-your-gp-or-gp-surgery

Pineapplemilkshake Fri 06-Jan-17 16:44:25

The practice cannot simply remove a patient from their list due to a complaint. Removal is possible if the doctor-patient relationship has broken down but a complaint alone is not enough to warrant this.

I trained in a practice where a patient was trying to sue one of the GP's for allowing them to become addicted to a strong painkiller. They were not allowed to remove the patient, and the case eventually ended up in court. The patient lost their case, and apparently a dim view was taken that they had chosen to remain at the same practice, despite being so unhappy with the care received. This was a practice in a town with 7 other practices, so it wasn't a case of having to stay with the practice.

MountainPeaks Fri 06-Jan-17 17:10:15

Thank you everyone. It has been raised previously with the practice manager, but not in writing - so I will do that first. Put it into writing and make it a more official "in surgery" complaint.

I absolutely adore my usual GP - they are fantastic. Brutally honest, caring and just always manages to say or do the right thing. And I like the rest of the practice team - they are super nice people and always happy to help you resolve problems or issues. Which is why I don't really want to raise the issues again - but I know now it isn't just affecting me, it's affecting a group of us, and some of those people are really quite vulnerable.

Pineapplemilkshake Fri 06-Jan-17 17:13:29

The only thing I would add though is that if you are making a complaint on someone's behalf as well, you need their written consent, unless it is one of your DC.

MountainPeaks Fri 06-Jan-17 17:17:04

Thanks pineapplemillkshake - I think some of them will make their own complaints - many have already left the surgery. It may be better than I actually wait and see how that unfolds first.

Pineapplemilkshake Fri 06-Jan-17 19:33:11

No problem, hope you get some answers

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now