Hospital equipment returns

(47 Posts)
VivienneWestwoodsKnickers Wed 23-Nov-16 19:08:10

The One Show are talking about the returns of hospital equipment like crutches (£10/pair), wheelchairs, commodes, zimmer frames, walking sticks etc.

WIBU to ask you to look about for any equipment you, friends or family have and encourage you to return bits to the NHS if you can?

They do point out that there is no consistency in the approach nationwide, and I know someone on here the other day said their local hospital didn't take things for some reason. The hospital in the programme recommends taking things into A&E reception.

Seems worth a go to me!

WaggyMama Wed 23-Nov-16 19:11:22

very interesting piece! shocking but so simple really.

Pointeshoes Wed 23-Nov-16 19:13:22

Good idea if anyone has anything please take it back smile

swooosh Wed 23-Nov-16 19:14:57

I used to work in A+E and crutches were never returned. In the end we started giving receipts out for them saying that if they were not returned by X date then an invoice would be sent (it wouldn't) but that didn't help in the slightest.

We had to be firm and tell people who had sustained injuries but could still weight bear that they weren't allowed crutches. Only confirmed fractures with plaster casts could have them.

LetMeBe Wed 23-Nov-16 19:17:04

I had to use crutches a few years back when I broke my foot. Whilst having my cast removed I handed the crutches back and was told they could not take them back. I found that rather confusing at the time, the lady didn't go into much detail. I agree they should be given back but maybe some hospitals do not want them to be returned?

JellyBelli Wed 23-Nov-16 19:19:28

I've borrowed crutches and a wheelchair, and returned them as soon as I was able to. Although this explained why the staff were so surprised to see me halo

EveOnline2016 Wed 23-Nov-16 19:19:48

It a pita for returns.

It's cheaper to hand out new as we need any aids to be tested and cleaned to make sure they are fit for the next patient.

Note3 Wed 23-Nov-16 19:20:23

It's a shame they don't take deposits from ppl if they want equipment returned. If it's not essential for recovery then ppl should have to pay something like a £50 deposit refundable when they return the item

MsMims Wed 23-Nov-16 19:20:51

My local trust refuses to have anything back due to infection control. Wonder how the trusts who take them back clean/ sanitise them?

EveOnline2016 Wed 23-Nov-16 19:25:16

In my trust we scrap them.

Not worth the compensation claim.

pinkmagic1 Wed 23-Nov-16 19:25:39

Dd had to have a zimmer frame a few years ago and the hospital reception seemed very surprised when we returned it.

Believeitornot Wed 23-Nov-16 19:26:40

It's probably too risky if they get broken in use.

The NHS needs more of a central way of managing equipment - a kind of recycling centre which can process them and declare fit for use again.

Oysterbabe Wed 23-Nov-16 19:26:59

DH was told not to return crutches he borrowed after an operation. His operation was outsourced to a private hospital by the NHS. He'll probably take them back to an NHS hospital now we know they want them.

maxfielder20 Wed 23-Nov-16 19:29:54

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

Greengoddess12 Wed 23-Nov-16 19:30:00

My DM has a room full of zimmers, toilet seats, crutches, and they just won't have them back.

After working in A&E it would be s monumental pita to have people turn up and dump equipment on us that will get in the way and need cleaning.

Please don't advocate this op.

HOHOHOvariesBeforeBrovaries Wed 23-Nov-16 19:32:25

I was told to keep my crutches. Probably because it was pretty much inevitable I'd need them again blush

Pseudonym99 Wed 23-Nov-16 19:32:41

Surely it would cost more to process returns, with the extra admin and staff involved, than the money saved?

Sparklingbrook Wed 23-Nov-16 19:34:23

DS1 was given a brand new pair of crutches from the hospital when he broke his knee. We were told to return them when we had finished with them. Which we did.

poisonedbypen Wed 23-Nov-16 19:36:04

My mum had quite a lot of equipment (at home) - zimmers, cushions, mattresses, toilet seat, commode etc etc. When she died they came to collect them with almost indecent haste & I saw them doing the same with a neighbour the other day.

Hoppinggreen Wed 23-Nov-16 19:38:39

Unfortunately if you want to return something here you have to take it to an industrial estate on the outskirts of town. Not great for people who can't drive .
You are not allowed to take things back to the hospital but the be honest I have in the past and left them in the Reception area.

HamletsSister Wed 23-Nov-16 19:39:52

We tried to return all the stuff we had for my Mum. They took the bed back but nothing else - zimmer, commode (unused, still wrapped) bath hoist etc.

RortyCrankle Wed 23-Nov-16 19:44:48

Since being in hospital 2 years ago, I've tried calling so many times for them to collect the assortment of stuff they put in my home, and they never came so I gave up.

I am likely to go into hospital in the new year - I guess having the stuff from last time will save the occupational therapist a visit.

Theoretician Wed 23-Nov-16 19:46:34

NHS physiotherapist gave DW crutches when heavily pregnant, which I rightly predicted we'd never use. I tried to find a way to return or recycle them, but there was no practical option to do so, so I ended up throwing brand new crutches away.

AliceInUnderpants Wed 23-Nov-16 19:46:54

Surely it's an easy fix. If a trust wants items returned, it sends a letter with either a request to return, or an invoice for the cost?

Whitewhine89 Wed 23-Nov-16 19:49:15

Would the Red Cross maybe take them if local hospital trusts won't? I'm sure they would be of use abroad...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now