AIBU to think that I must be the only 42 year old woman who still likes M&S

(32 Posts)
partyof3 Tue 08-Nov-16 19:01:25

Just that really. Or is it because I'm plus size (size 18) and my choice on the high street is more limited.

PoppyPicklesPenguin Tue 08-Nov-16 19:05:55

I'm 39 and love M&S and have done for about five years now smile I'm an average size, but am very tall there longer clothes just fit me very well and I like the quality.

I do have a really good one near me though, the one near my mum is full of florals smile

purpleporpoise Tue 08-Nov-16 19:07:42

You're not the only one. I just bought some fab footglove boots

swoonmacaroon Tue 08-Nov-16 19:14:02

I have tried to like M&S but everything I try on makes me look like a sack of spuds and I am not overweight!

I hate paying for things that are man-made fabrics when I can pick up fantastic clothes from Jeager Outlet which have offers on cashmere etc. I just bought a beautiful wool coat for £100 reduced from £250 and it looks fantastic.

The cut on most of their clothes are ridiculous.

I would miss the coffee shop and would still be sad to lose M&S. Why can't they get it right?

nothingwittyhere Tue 08-Nov-16 19:23:23

M&S suits me too. I don't expect cashmere for polyester prices and I don’t care what my clothes are made of as long as they look and feel good and wear well (and are ethical, obvs). Get very tired of the non-stop M&S is awful threads. Most of the people carping on them don't seem to have been in an M&S recently as they've already addressed the complaints about layout and more basic/less embellished clothes.

I do however hate their knickers though! grin Cheesewire gussets are not for me.

zsazsagaboredom Tue 08-Nov-16 19:24:30

43 Love M&S
Trousers/jeans not a good fit on my current frame. I have a great selection of their frocks and tops (and low rise shorts knickers) just from this and last season. A couple of casual outerwear jackets too.

FarAwayHills Tue 08-Nov-16 19:38:46

Love M&S for shoes, boots, accessories, tights and underwear

zeeboo Tue 08-Nov-16 19:40:24

I'm 42 and love their stuff and my 17 year old daughter likes a lot their Autograph line too.

Greengoddess12 Tue 08-Nov-16 19:42:04

God hate it. 49 and honestly the most unflattering stuff ever. Big patterns and much too big and fussy.

WilshireBoulevard Tue 08-Nov-16 19:42:07

I'm 37 and have found some great bits in marks this year - some short cord skirts which look fab with tights and boots and some cheap but surprisingly nice v neck jumpers.

KnittingPearl Tue 08-Nov-16 19:45:01

Currently love it for tights, pants, pyjamas (silk in the sale) and shoes/boots, sometimes gym clothes, and cotton shirts for summer.

However, there was a couple of years around the 2008-9-10 region where I bought several suits and lots of dresses for work that were perfect - cut and cloth beautiful. I haven't found anything like that for years though, so I definitely am less fond of it than I used to be.

DanicaJones Tue 08-Nov-16 19:46:25

I like their bras for me and dd and the bra fittings.
I like their £18 jeans as they fit me really well.
I sometimes find t shirts i like. School uniform is good.
Nice food.
NIce Christmas stuff.
Nice PJs.
My favourite greetings cards of anywhere.

Kennington Tue 08-Nov-16 19:50:47

I love it: leather ankle boots, cashmere, underwear, pyjamas. Beauty products and home wear and children's clothes.
I shop at m and s, cos and other stories. All great.

dimanche Tue 08-Nov-16 19:55:19

Early 30s and I like m&s and have had lots of nice things from there for the past 10 years. Maybe it's my mums influence as she loved m&s. Autograph and per una have some nice pieces and I have workwear from there that has lasted for years.

icelollycraving Tue 08-Nov-16 20:05:39

I'm 43,size 22 & like it.
The other day I realised 90% of my clothes are from Tu & M&S. Sobering frankly.

LittleWingSoul Tue 08-Nov-16 20:09:34

Generally find it too expensive for clothes and the sizes quite big (8/10 but need a 6 which they don't always stock).

Only every buy my bras from m&s though... Love the autograph range in particular but wait until the sales!

Patterned control top tights are good from there too

Shenanagins Tue 08-Nov-16 20:10:08

42 and a size 8 and always see something that catches my eye and very often get a lot of people asking me where I got said item. It's one of these places where there are some wee gems to be had in amongst the per una dross.

I like some of their stuff. They do make me cross though because they could easily be so very much better. I wish they'd employ me to tell them exactly what to do!

boffin9207 Tue 08-Nov-16 21:10:16

24 and think it is great (at times!). Mostly for underwear, tights, vests, PJs etc. Tops/dresses/skirts/knitwear can be really hit and miss.

maggiethemagpie Tue 08-Nov-16 21:16:03

I used to love it, in my post pregnancy years where I was a bit chunky... as soon as I lost the weight and could fit into more clothes, therefore had more choice, I scarpered.

I did go through a real M and S phase though where nearly everything I bought was from there, I can't decide if the clothes were better five years ago or if I was just less stylish.

user1472419718 Tue 08-Nov-16 21:18:23

I'm 27 and I like it for underwear (not bras), tights and socks, plain work trousers (they do a good short length that actually is short enough) and sandals.

FleurThomas Tue 08-Nov-16 21:23:26

Depends on your figure. I'm pear shaped but have a tiny waist compared to my hips (am an ample size 16 on my hips and a 12 around the waist), and do better at H&M, Mango and Zara TRF for fit. M&S, Hobbs, Reiss etc all gapes at the waist.

YvaineStormhold Tue 08-Nov-16 21:27:06

I like it for boy shorts, socks, opaque tights, shoes.

The occasional really good classic clothing item - I got a brilliant biker jacket from there last year.

Christmas wrapping paper has to be M&S - it's the law.

Their cosmetics department has improved lately.

School uniform.

LillyGrinter Tue 08-Nov-16 21:27:59

I only ever get my underwear including bras as I'm quite busty and the M&S bras are so much better than Bravissimo. I still like M&S and love the food especially. I'm hoping it will have a turn around

FetchezLaVache Tue 08-Nov-16 21:33:26

42 and just coming round to M&S. I'd like to think it's not my age...

Shortarse, size 8-10 and in the last month I have bought two vest tops, a pair of black trousers and a black top, a dark grey long wool coat and a woolly hat with a fake fur pom-pom. All very reasonably priced, well made, decent fabric, stylish but not too out-there.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now