If you are minted....

(995 Posts)
FeralBeryl Fri 14-Oct-16 01:42:14

*What is your/ partner's career or job?
Not a TAAT more a TIBAT (inspired by a thread)

Someone has a monthly take home pay of £11k
Not going to lie, I fully intend to suddenly obtain the necessary qualifications overnight for whatever it is. wink sure there'll be an online course....

I know there will have been a great deal of sacrifice, no work home balance etc. I'm not wanting to judge at all-I'm enthralled

Please.

<unashamedly nosey>

TinklyLittleLaugh Fri 14-Oct-16 01:45:02

Own business. Put the hard work in many years ago, take it fairly easy now.

HughLauriesStubble Fri 14-Oct-16 01:57:51

Bahahaha OP I'very always wondered the same thing but never been brave enough to ask!

What I have learned on mn though is that doctors and consultants earn nowhere near as much as people assume. The money seems to be in own businesses (which are always unstable to a certain extent) and jobs in 'the city'.

IAmNotAWitch Fri 14-Oct-16 02:02:11

Banker and Lawyer.

pinkcardi Fri 14-Oct-16 02:07:44

HR and owns his own business

Ilovehedgehogs Fri 14-Oct-16 02:11:20

We have our own business, we do have five friends who are consultants and they are very wealthy but this is through private work. The mega wealthy one heads up a consortium of them and runs that alongside NHS work. It takes a long time to get there though (I know them from my nursing days and they are in their forties now)

The other people that we know are self employed or fund managers/traders. One runs a very successful end of tenancy cleaning business, she started that from nothing.

It's interesting how different people earn their living.

pinkcardi Fri 14-Oct-16 02:11:23

Should add that Hugh is spot on in their posting, income is somewhat uncertain from owning your own business and we are both in the City

bojorojo Fri 14-Oct-16 02:24:02

DH is a consulting engineer and owns his own company. Others we know who are pretty rich work for KPMG, Slaughter and May and other magic circle lawyers, M and S, The Ritz, plenty of property developers, medical consultants, bankers with city and merchant banks. All have top notch degrees and are very bright. Work hard and are natural leaders.

phillipp Fri 14-Oct-16 05:02:24

We own our own business. Which is now paying off after 4 years of tons of work. I prefer being employed so going back to my old career while dh oversees running of the business.

My old career is based around call centres and I earn well. I don't have a degree or anything. I started in the phones and worked my way up.

PedantPending Fri 14-Oct-16 06:59:50

IT project management plus 30 years' experience earns me more than 11k per month.

MargeryFenworthy Fri 14-Oct-16 07:03:26

DH is a MD in a property company. I am the higher earner though and work in a finance partnership role 😀

Musicinthe00ssucks Fri 14-Oct-16 07:03:44

My parents are quite well off and that was through my dad having his own business. Most of the wealthy people I have know have run their own businesses except my aunt who was a consultant obstetrician

VanillaSugarandChristmasSpice Fri 14-Oct-16 07:04:48

Finance Director in FTSE 100. The bonuses top up a good salary .

GreatFuckability Fri 14-Oct-16 07:18:17

Jobs that pay loads are usually things that sound terminally dull and/or are a collection of meaningless words to me.
I think this proves that I am neither willing or able to be one of the wealthy people of this world grin

NickNacks Fri 14-Oct-16 07:22:59

'Own business' could be anything though! I have my own business but it would never cut those numbers.

homebythesea Fri 14-Oct-16 07:27:22

DH is a lawyer in a financial services company . For his £11k a month he works 10 hours a day, weekends and holidays. Barely a day (except Xmas) goes by without being interrupted by work related matters. Be careful what you wish for

Charley50 Fri 14-Oct-16 07:27:55

Yes it would be nice to know what the businesses are (some of you have said). I wish I was more business-minded.

CharlieSierra Fri 14-Oct-16 07:29:49

Well to bring home 11k a month you'd have to start with around 19k. You're probably paying a lot into pension too, so maybe look at jobs in the mid 200k salary bracket. Senior executives, lawyers and bakers etc.

Pumpkin2010 Fri 14-Oct-16 07:33:18

I've always wondered what it is people 'do' to earn these massive salaries. I'm always interested in what the businesses are too.
Blatantly nosey.

carabos Fri 14-Oct-16 07:35:04

I think you can only earn the really big bucks if you regard your work as your life - there's nothing you would rather do and you're happy to spend all your time doing it. I know lots of people who earn megabucks and they don't have hobbies, have no family life, no downtime, hardly sleep. I mean they're at work 7am to 7pm, plus the commute, come home, eat, do a couple hours more work, bed at midnight or later, up again at 5.30, commute.

They never complain, because that's the life they want. I think it's a poor reflection on our society that we reward this sort of behaviour, but others would disagree I'm sure.

heron98 Fri 14-Oct-16 07:35:05

Also, a lot of these jobs require you to dedicate your life to them. I am not prepared to do that for work.I would rather earn less and have more time. You can't put a price on that.

Bruce02 Fri 14-Oct-16 07:35:09

My business is one that manufactures food products for the fitness industry. We started at home making everything ourseleves. Then worked up to a factory.

The early days were 10-12 hours a day to keep up to orders.

Thecontentedcat Fri 14-Oct-16 07:36:51

Bakers! On mid £200k! I'm changing career grin

WiltingTulip Fri 14-Oct-16 07:38:31

Works in a very dangerous country.

BrianMolkoismyPlacebo Fri 14-Oct-16 07:38:45

I'm the same as greatfuck and also see what homebythesea is saying.

We bring home 70k a year, my dh works offshore in a 3on 3off basis. I am a freelance teacher. We both have a lot of time off to enjoy life and live reasonably comfortable. We don't need any more money and we don't want anymore hours.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now