Talk

Advanced search

Having to give police 24 hours notice before sex is not having less freedom than if you were in prison.....

(115 Posts)
Felascloak Thu 09-Jun-16 16:25:04

This man has a sexual risk order in place which says he must notify police 24 hours before he intends to have sex.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-york-north-yorkshire-36481127

He likens this to "putting and end to his life" and says he had more freedom in prison. This baffles me unless he was having lots of gay sex in prison.

AIBU to think he's being melodramatic in his descriptions and overly focussed on the importance of sex in his life? He can still have sex and there don't appear to be other restrictions.

Felascloak Thu 09-Jun-16 16:25:18

www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-york-north-yorkshire-36481127

Pootles2010 Thu 09-Jun-16 16:27:54

He's clearly a complete twat. Nasty piece of work.

MrsTerryPratchett Thu 09-Jun-16 16:30:43

While I am nervous about people being subject to any kind of sentencing without a trial, I am also appalled at (in my area) only 3 out of every 1000 sexual assaults getting to a conviction. People with no criminal histories who have done nothing wrong are not usually held for 14 months on remand in the UK.

He seemed very sure of his entitlement to sex. Which does support that he is a risk. Sex with someone else isn't a right.

LurkingHusband Thu 09-Jun-16 16:32:01

A trial would have been nice. Probably too much work though.

x2boys Thu 09-Jun-16 16:33:13

He did have a trial he was found not guilty .

MrsTerryPratchett Thu 09-Jun-16 16:35:39

But the trial system does not work in the case of sexual assault. It just doesn't. We don't have a better system unfortunately. How do we protect women from sexual predators who know there is very little chance they will ever see the inside of a prison?

EatShitDerek Thu 09-Jun-16 16:40:31

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

steff13 Thu 09-Jun-16 16:43:42

So, he's being punished even though he's been acquitted?

Quimby Thu 09-Jun-16 16:45:08

Yep

LurkingHusband Thu 09-Jun-16 16:45:49

He did have a trial he was found not guilty

One idly wonders what a guilty verdict might have meant ?

I am sure the criminal justice system fails all sorts of people all of the time. However there's a whiff of arbitrariness about this. It seem a little like when ASBOs were introduced and perfectly legal behaviour could be deemed a criminal offence.

I'm no lawyer, but I also wonder how this impinges on any potential partners right to a family life ? Maybe he should get a cat ?

EverySongbirdSays Thu 09-Jun-16 16:49:17

Surely this is completely unenforceable though?

What happens if they think he's had sex without telling them?

How the hell would they prove that one?

LurkingHusband Thu 09-Jun-16 16:49:49

Removing the contentious sexual element from the equation, as far as I can see, it's the equivalent of being found "not guilty" of shoplifting, but then having a requirement placed upon you that you need to give 24 hours notice before you go shopping.

I'm sure there is more to the story than reported. Key to the issue is what avenues the person has to appeal or fight against the order.

Felascloak Thu 09-Jun-16 16:55:14

I assumed it was give notice for each new sexual partner. If so, then it doesn't impinge on family life as it would have been done by the time the relationship got to that stage.
I think they've done it to give them another means to prosecute if he is accused of rape again. By having to give notice, it puts more onus on him to gain consent, as the police can check.
On the other hand that means disclosing his history to any potential partner.
Still think its melodramtic to claim his life is over.

Quimby Thu 09-Jun-16 17:02:26

"I assumed it was give notice for each new sexual partner. If so, then it doesn't impinge on family life as it would have been done by the time the relationship got to that stage."

Why would you assume that?
The article you linked states what the order contains.

"It declares the man "must disclose the details of any female including her name, address and date of birth... at least 24 hours prior to any sexual activity taking place"."

That's fairly unambiguous. 24 hours before any sexual activity taking place. Nothing to suggest it's "24 hours before any new sexual relationship begins"

Felascloak Thu 09-Jun-16 17:05:59

That suggests to me the details of a new woman. Not having to call 24 hours before each instance of sex with the same woman.

MrsTerryPratchett Thu 09-Jun-16 17:06:38

If you think about it from a practical, rather than legal, position, it's very clever. If he never informs the police and lots of great consensual sex, there is no way the police will ever knows. If he assaults someone, she goes to the police and they can then do him without having to prove rape, which is very tough. Since women rarely 'cry rape' hmm and men get away with sexual assault all the time, it's actually brilliant.

LurkingHusband Thu 09-Jun-16 17:06:49

Felascloak

I assumed it was give notice for each new sexual partner. If so, then it doesn't impinge on family life

from the linked article:

The order requires him to disclose any planned sexual activity to the police or face up to five years in prison.

Nothing about "new partners" at all. (We''ll put to one side the fact that wording (a) would include masturbation, and (b) exclude unplanned sexual activity)

I think they've done it to give them another means to prosecute if he is accused of rape again.

the key word there being "accused". Not "found guilty".

If merely being accused of a crime - irrespective of the verdict of a criminal court is enough to impose a punishment then God help us all.

MLGs Thu 09-Jun-16 17:07:09

It's ok, the order apparently only says 24 hours before sexual activity with a female. So he can have sex with any men he likes (much as he could have done in prison I guess).

MLGs Thu 09-Jun-16 17:08:11

Sorry for gallows humour, undoubtedly misplaced.

MrsTerryPratchett Thu 09-Jun-16 17:10:36

And if things are left how they are God help women and children.

clarrrp Thu 09-Jun-16 17:11:10

Sucks for him then. No sympathy at all.

MLGs Thu 09-Jun-16 17:11:59

Mrsterry I think idea is that women might want to be informed about his "past"/the risk before entering into a sexual relationship with him.

ChocChocPorridge Thu 09-Jun-16 17:12:07

What it does mean, is that if he doesn't notify them, and the woman subsequently reports a rape, there is no discussion. He broke the terms.

If he has sex with women who are consenting, then sure, no-one will know.

It's not to control him having sex I think, it's to make a rape conviction more likely if he rapes someone.

steff13 Thu 09-Jun-16 17:12:32

If merely being accused of a crime - irrespective of the verdict of a criminal court is enough to impose a punishment then God help us all.

Amen.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now